Flashing U8815 ROMs on a Huawei Ascend G300 U8818

Guest spikeh

Guest spikeh

Hi! I'm currently in China and would like to purchase the Huawei Ascend G300. However the model offered here has a model number of U8818 instead of U8815, despite still being called an Ascend G300. According to pdadb, the only difference between the two is that the U8818 has NFC.

Does anyone (perhaps some of our Chinese comrades on the forums) know whether U8815 ROMs can be safely flashed on the U8818? My guess is that, since everything else bar NFC is identical, the answer is yes; but I'd like confirmation before I buy it here.

There is no difference in price, so I could always wait until I return to the UK. The only benefit of buying it here is that I can start using it now, and it's sold unlocked.

Many thanks!

Guest Sebastian404

Thats a tricky one... I'd kind of recomend you get one and dump it before you start messing about.

persoanly I'd get it, and before you do anything else use the bootloader to install clockworkmod recovery then do a backup, and share that with us :)

if you have a backup you can start expirmenting with safety... and I assume its only a mater of time before the factory restore image for that model will surface, I'll see if I can dislodge.

Worst case you can just flip it on Ebay and get a UK model, if you word your listing as @@ RARE LOOK NOW !!! 1! @@ you stand a good chance of selling it for more than a UK model.

Guest Frankish

I guess it should work with even the Vodafone rom still having nfc bits included. But do so at your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FrankieADZ

It has a nfc program running but no hardware to support it I thought

tbf...I wouldnt be surprised if it had it and they didnt tell us. Ive seen companies do that before. :wacko:

Guest spikeh

My U8818 arrived this weekend and I flashed the B888 ROM for U8815 on it without any problems. It seems the distinction is only software, as my phone now thinks it is a U8815.

Guest weckl

Thanks for this information. My U8818 will arrive soon. Glad to hear Roms for U8815 can be used. I hope no stability issues appear afterwards though...

• 4 weeks later...