50 replies to this topic

Smiff2

Smiff2

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Devices:Blade, U8510, G300
this could be a major downside of this phone if all are like it. the ZTE Blade has excellent reception. will be able to compare and let you know once i start using my G300 properly next week hopefully (GiffGaff/O2 in weak signal areas)

update: based on a few days use, the reception seems about equal to the Blade.. not noticed problems so far, will report if there are any. there may be a problem with holding the phone causing attenuation, much like an iPhone! will have to use more to be sure.

Edited by Smiff2, 11 June 2012 - 08:36 PM.

h2005uk

h2005uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I find it slightly odd that people on this forum have been saying how great the G300 is compared to others such as the ZTE Blade, without referring at all to reception capabilities. As you say, if the G300 doesn't pick up signal as well as other phones, then it's a major flaw!

Edited by h2005uk, 02 June 2012 - 12:18 AM.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
No issues here, same reception as I got on blade. 2 bars.

h2005uk

h2005uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Just an update:

I realised I could get numerical signal readings off my old Samsung Genio Slide (aka Corby Pro BT5310) non-smartphone by attaching it to my laptop and 'telnetting' its modem (as you can only see signal bars on the phone itself). I did that and was able to compare the signal readings to those of my G300.

My signal varies wildly depending on where I am in my house, but both my G300 and Samsung were consistently giving the same readings within +/- 3 dBm of each other (although sometimes one phone had a slightly stronger signal than the other and vice versa, and that averaged the slight differences out).

So it seems that - compared to my old Samsung which has always picked up signal pretty well - the G300 is performing as well as it should.

Incidentally, for anyone interested, it seems my old Samsung's 6 bars roughly equate to the following:

Bars dBm
0 -101 or less
1 -96 to -100
2 -90 to -95
3 -85 to -89
4 -80 to -84
5 -74 to -79
6 -73 or more

Not sure if other Samsungs have 6 bars and whether that table would apply. It's quite different to the Android signal bars, which show 4 out of 4 bars with a reading of about -89 dBm or more!

Edited by h2005uk, 03 June 2012 - 04:03 PM.

rbaa

rbaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Hey guys,

I'm having the exact same issue with my G300. Bought it online and unlocked it with a code from ebay so I can use it with a Giffgaff sim. Seems to miss every 5th or so call and text message in a rather inconsistent and random manner. Took it back to Vodafone. They sent it off to get fixed, but seemed to think that unlocking it from a 3rd party voided any warranty from Vodafone or Huawei.

Seems a bit rubbish to me, especially since the shop assistant that I collected the phone from (ordered it to a store) said to go to some random shop and get it unlocked cause it was cheaper.

Anyways, have to wait now to see what they come back with. Not quite sure what I'll do if they decide to charge me/can't fix it...

Edited by rbaa, 10 June 2012 - 08:42 PM.

rosco-85

rosco-85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4
Q

Edited by rosco-85, 10 June 2012 - 11:08 PM.

rosco-85

rosco-85

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4
I was also experiencing the exact same issue, where i would have a decent signal when the phone was lying flat and then it would drop upon picking it up. If it was somewhere with an already weak 2g signal, then sometimes it would drop out altogether - then i wouldnt come back until i restarted the phone.

However for some truely bizarre reason, removing the plastic back cover seems to fix this for me... this is obviously not ideal, but i have a silicon case also - so the battery, sim etc ate still covered/protected.

Can some of you guys try this and tell me if you have the same outcome...?

Edited by rosco-85, 10 June 2012 - 11:09 PM.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascent G300
I had a Huawei Glaze until I dropped it and the screen stopped working correctly. Now i am with O2 and when the mobile signal was good, I had no problems with the Blaze.

So I bought the Ascent G300 and unlocked it. I entered in all the O2 details for the web and it accepted them. However when I switch in the 3G or even limit it to 2G, it connects; loses the signal; connects losses the sinal for a time; connects etc. etc. thus I cannot get online properly because as soon as I try to, I loses the signal.

It goes 2 bars, 1 bar each side and then none and repeats that are frequent intervals with the longest time being spent with. I bars but still H or 3G.

This is happening everywhere I go. Central Londom, outside of London. Places where I got a signal with the Blaze. I first tried this yesterday and put it down to O2 but it's no different today and I was in different places today.

I now suspect the phone. If my details were wrong I would expect not to be able to connect full stop but it is connection only to them lose it.

I am also getting frequency syncing messages in the top status bar, despite auto sync being off. If I switch in auto sync it seems to give me a stronger signal because the H goes to 3 bars. However it may no actually get holding a stronger signal behind the scenes.

I have done an OTA update to the latest official ROM, the one ending in 88.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions?

Is it may phone. Is it hardware related or firmware/software related? Is it something I've done when entering the 3G settings. I can't see how it being on O2 and not Vodafone should matter.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
I had a Huawei Glaze until I dropped it and the screen stopped working correctly. Now i am with O2 and when the mobile signal was good, I had no problems with the Blaze.

So I bought the Ascent G300 and unlocked it. I entered in all the O2 details for the web and it accepted them. However when I switch in the 3G or even limit it to 2G, it connects; loses the signal; connects losses the sinal for a time; connects etc. etc. thus I cannot get online properly because as soon as I try to, I loses the signal.

It goes 2 bars, 1 bar each side and then none and repeats that are frequent intervals with the longest time being spent with. I bars but still H or 3G.

This is happening everywhere I go. Central Londom, outside of London. Places where I got a signal with the Blaze. I first tried this yesterday and put it down to O2 but it's no different today and I was in different places today.

I now suspect the phone. If my details were wrong I would expect not to be able to connect full stop but it is connection only to them lose it.

I am also getting frequency syncing messages in the top status bar, despite auto sync being off. If I switch in auto sync it seems to give me a stronger signal because the H goes to 3 bars. However it may no actually get holding a stronger signal behind the scenes.

I have done an OTA update to the latest official ROM, the one ending in 88.

Does anyone else have similar experiences or suggestions?

Is it may phone. Is it hardware related or firmware/software related? Is it something I've done when entering the 3G settings. I can't see how it being on O2 and not Vodafone should matter.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Sorry that's Blaze not Glaze.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
There must be some faulty batches going about because my data on giffgaff is rock solid.
Also,when I had blade & skate,my wifi constantly dropped in the next room,but with g300 it has not dropped once in any place in the house.

Smiff2

Smiff2

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Devices:Blade, U8510, G300
jikobutsu, do you notice bars changing rapidly when you grab the phone vs put it down on a desk?

Edited by Smiff2, 13 June 2012 - 10:27 PM.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
No sorry my signal bars are not influenced in anyway by holding,even if I cover the phone with both hands the signal does not change.
The 3g flashes on and off,but thats normal as it shows data in/out.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
There is. Chance that I am using the wrong settings as in wrong username / password.

There is no error message regarding the username being wrong though it I typed in a nonsence username and it still accepted it although I wasn't connecting.

I disn't know the two bars were data in and out. When I get a strong signal previous both bars would light up.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
The settings I'm using are:
Mobile Web 

Name: O2 Mobile Web 
APN: mobile.O2.co.uk 
UserName: o2web
Password: password
MCC: 234 
MNC: 10 
APN Type: default 
IP Bersion: IPv4
And Pay Monthly

Name: o2 Pay Monthly
APN: wap.o2.co.uk 
UserName: o2wap 
Proxy: 193.113.200.195
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195 
MMS Port: 8080 
APN Type: mms
Authentication type:PAP
iP Version: IPv4

I also tried web for password and user name on O2 mobile settings.

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Issue now resolved.

It was an incorrect and out of date password and username.

Username: Vertigo
Password: password.

I got the o2web user name from their web site but I found that by browsing google rather than searching on their site.

I would have thought the current details would have been on o2's Web Site and if they are, that Google would pick them up during their indexing.

I got the details file a work colleague who had an iPhone on O2.

Hopefully this information wil be of use to others. Here it is again but this time with correct username. I've not tested the wap. iPhone's use idata

infobleep

infobleep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Issue now resolved.

It was an incorrect and out of date password and username.

Username: Vertigo
Password: password.

I got the o2web user name from their web site but I found that by browsing google rather than searching on their site.

I would have thought the current details would have been on o2's Web Site and if they are, that Google would pick them up during their indexing.

I got the details file a work colleague who had an iPhone on O2.

Hopefully this information wil be of use to others. Here it is again but this time with correct username. I've not tested the mms password/username. iPhone's use idata.o2.co.uk both both mobile and mms. I don't use mms which is why I've not tested it.

Name: O2 Mobile Web 
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk 
UserName: Vertigo
APN Type: default Y

And Post Pay, 

Name: O2 Pay monthly
APN: wap.o2.co.uk 
UserName: o2wap 
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 
MMS Proxy: 193.113.200.195 
MMS Port: 8080 
APN Type: mms

Ascend

Ascend

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Devices:S3, Cubot GT99, G300
Bought the G300 a couple of days ago from Vodafone to replace my Samsung Wave. (fed up with Bada!)
First impressions were very good but now I have noticed that the signal strength cycles from 3 bars to complete disconnect and then back again. (At home)
I am on "3" network and also have a Galaxy Tab on same network. The Tab sits on 3 bars rock solid when the G300 is cycling.

Very disappointing as I love the phone.

Build Number is: U8815V100R001CO2B885

Huawei G300 ICS

bumps

bumps

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300, Desire Z
try a newer rom

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Dual Sim XT1033 16GB

Hey guys,

I'm having the exact same issue with my G300. Bought it online and unlocked it with a code from ebay so I can use it with a Giffgaff sim. Seems to miss every 5th or so call and text message in a rather inconsistent and random manner. Took it back to Vodafone. They sent it off to get fixed, but seemed to think that unlocking it from a 3rd party voided any warranty from Vodafone or Huawei.

Seems a bit rubbish to me, especially since the shop assistant that I collected the phone from (ordered it to a store) said to go to some random shop and get it unlocked cause it was cheaper.

Anyways, have to wait now to see what they come back with. Not quite sure what I'll do if they decide to charge me/can't fix it...

Wow, that even more good news... what happened in the end? Did they honored the warranty ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users