50 replies to this topic

Smiff2

Smiff2

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Devices:Blade, U8510, G300
i would start mentioning the sale of goods act.. IANAL but no way is it legal for them not to replace/refund you just because you unlocked it..

rbaa

rbaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300

Wow, that even more good news... what happened in the end? Did they honored the warranty ?

Kind of. They said they updated the software on it and that it has solved the problem, it hasn't. The build version is now ...B885 (not sure what it started off on however). The phone still does what it did before, particularly in the house. I put both the G300 and another HTC, both on Giffgaff side by side in my room and every now and then the G300 just sits there, not taking texts and forwarding calls to voice mail. Stuck in a Vodafone sim and it does the same.

Looking closer at it, the signal actually seems to be unaffected during these times, so I don't really know what's going on. Took the phone back to Vodafone again after the "repair" today, and they said that they can't replace the handset because the warranty has been made void by not unlocking it with them. Apparently my best option is to talk to Huawei directly and see if they can still honour the 1 year manufactures warranty.

I've been reluctant to put a custom ROM on the phone, as I'm not sure what this will mean for trying to return the phone. But for now, I would warn everyone to make sure their phone is working 100% before getting it unlocked, or at least to get Vodafone to unlock it, as it may help to stop huge headaches later down the line. Sad but true :P

Smiff2

Smiff2

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Devices:Blade, U8510, G300
yes they need reminding of UK law.. the contract is between you and the seller. if the phone doesn't work properly on their network, you are entitled to replacement within x days (i think 30?). how it works on other networks is not relevant unless you prevented it from working on vodaphone in some way. seriously don't put up with that. if it's outside that period things may be different i'm not sure. start using words like "fit for purpose". and ask to speak to a manager.

Edited by Smiff2, 17 June 2012 - 08:29 PM.

Ascend

Ascend

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Devices:S3, Cubot GT99, G300
How do Voda know who unlocked it? There have been quite a few reports of PAYG phones being delivered directly from Voda already unlocked?

Edited by Ascend, 17 June 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Huawei G300 ICS

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Wrong post deleted

Edited by jikobutsu, 17 June 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300

How do Voda know who unlocked it? There have been quite a few reports of PAYG phones being delivered directly from Voda already unlocked?

They can find out if they unlocked it going by the imei I would imagine.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
If 3rd party unlocks are fully legal, as we have to assume they are, and the method used is identical to that used by Vodafone themselves, I don't understand on what grounds Coda could complain about this. Your agreement with them doesn't change.

Posted Image

rbaa

rbaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Just an update:

I noticed that the "Mobile Network type" under settings -> status was constantly cycling from HSDPA to UMT. Last week, my girlfriend put in the APN settings for Giffgaff and from that day on, it's been on HSDPA. I've been using it for about a week now, and so far I haven't had any more issues with :) . Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for the advice guys, will mention the above if I get any more trouble from it!

Maximus9

Maximus9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Devices:Moto G Dual Sim XT1033 16GB
The manufacturer's warranty is 24 month actually. I would contact them anyway, just to see their response.
Keep us posted!
Can't believe Vodafone is such a cr*p company that would make any sort of connection between unlocking and warranty.

ryan2801

ryan2801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Same signal problems for me. Had 2 phones now and signal is erratic and unusable on both. I popped the same Vodafone sim on my other phone and signal was full strength. Definitely a problem with the G300. Shame, nice budget smartphone, but it's of no use to me if I cant even make/receive calls.

Edited by ryan2801, 08 August 2012 - 07:44 PM.

ryan2801

ryan2801

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Have any rom updates made a change to the woeful signal levels?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users