• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent
ok not downloading so ill try again tomorrow, then after a couple days ill write a full review for it.

EDIT: downloading now. umm id give it minimum of 4 days for a complete review

Edited by BenTheHuman, 07 May 2012 - 11:22 PM.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300
Pinguy let me thank you for bringing something new to this forum and please stay and bring us more roms and imput to choose from, as it's slim pickings at the moment.

Biohazard

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
hmm should i put review here or on a different topic thing

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

raverrr

raverrr

Recognised Ginger Ninja

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Devices:Moto G, ZTE Blate

Without wanting to state the obvious ...here lol

-If i've been helpfull to you in any way, press that little green thanks button

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Review

Ok so here we have ROM for the ZTE Crescent/Orange San Francisco II.
Made by Pinguy
Its based on the 2.3.5 version of Android which is Gingerbread, it has many similarities to the Acer MT launcher.
This is currently on V0.5 so if changes have been made to the ROM after this review please ignore this or await updated review.

Ok so lets begin.
Hands on

When the device is powered on, past the green android logo the first noticeable thing is that its holding the ICS boot animation, when i saw this i got my hopes up slightly hoping for an ICS ROM, however when the device is fully powered on and ready to be used its clear it is not ICS however one does not really care about boot animations much.

Past that we notice the dock has space for only 4 apps, the button to access the menu has been removed, I feel the dock itself is a little too big, although the apps appear bigger I've been told their not however the dock surroundings lets call it is a little to high either end on the app shortcut.

When sliding screens, the KR (Kickass Rom) is rather smooth and glides from page to page well, at default to wheels can be found at both far ends of the screens (screen 1 and screen 5) these are very responsive as well as useful however i was slightly disappointed when i found they could not be moved to say the top or bottom of the screen.

To access the menu one must slide up the dock.
I was disappointed with the menu for many reasons:
1) no auto sorting- i discovered this when id finished downloading all the apps i had previous, I then spent maybe an hour organising them into an A-Z order
2) Full of Bloat-ware- and i mean FULL of it, from juice defender to File Manager it was there.
3) No Un-installation- as one would with a rooted phone they may wish to un-install some of the things in the phones ROM that cant normally be un-installed, I downloaded an Un-installer from the market (a fairly good one too). I opened it and selected an app in this case it was the bloat-ware app Twitter.
i clicked on un-install and surely enough it did, however when i returned to the main menu there it was!!
I tried un-installing it via the main menu but to no dismay!
Only by downloading an app hider was i able to get rid of the app shortcut.

On too the more vital stuff now

Battery life- I have yet to see how long it lasts however i can say its fairly good however i use the app 2x battery life which probably helps me.

Messaging and Calling- very standard but smooth. however messaging lacks a dictionary so no auto correct

Internet and wifi- Standard no criticism to be made.

Camera- original has been replaced with Camera ICS. Its good however I would of gone on to rename it just "Camera"

OK for now that will conclude the review mainly because I cant think of what else to put in these.
So in conclusion.

This is a very nice, smooth app
However it is clear it has many flaws which make other ROMs superior.

CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

-Auto sorting in menu
-Smaller dock background
-In-menu folders
-Ditch the ICS boot animation
-Make the bloatware optional
-DRIFT AWAY FROM GINGERBREAD......ok i know its based on 2.3.5 but please, come on, its a custom rom! it should be more customed!!! maybe change the widgets and icons to something more unique

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300

Review

Ok so here we have ROM for the ZTE Crescent/Orange San Francisco II.
Made by Pinguy
Its based on the 2.3.5 version of Android which is Gingerbread, it has many similarities to the Acer MT launcher.
This is currently on V0.5 so if changes have been made to the ROM after this review please ignore this or await updated review.

Ok so lets begin.
Hands on

When the device is powered on, past the green android logo the first noticeable thing is that its holding the ICS boot animation, when i saw this i got my hopes up slightly hoping for an ICS ROM, however when the device is fully powered on and ready to be used its clear it is not ICS however one does not really care about boot animations much.

Past that we notice the dock has space for only 4 apps, the button to access the menu has been removed, I feel the dock itself is a little too big, although the apps appear bigger I've been told their not however the dock surroundings lets call it is a little to high either end on the app shortcut.

When sliding screens, the KR (Kickass Rom) is rather smooth and glides from page to page well, at default to wheels can be found at both far ends of the screens (screen 1 and screen 5) these are very responsive as well as useful however i was slightly disappointed when i found they could not be moved to say the top or bottom of the screen.

To access the menu one must slide up the dock.
I was disappointed with the menu for many reasons:
1) no auto sorting- i discovered this when id finished downloading all the apps i had previous, I then spent maybe an hour organising them into an A-Z order
2) Full of Bloat-ware- and i mean FULL of it, from juice defender to File Manager it was there.
3) No Un-installation- as one would with a rooted phone they may wish to un-install some of the things in the phones ROM that cant normally be un-installed, I downloaded an Un-installer from the market (a fairly good one too). I opened it and selected an app in this case it was the bloat-ware app Twitter.
i clicked on un-install and surely enough it did, however when i returned to the main menu there it was!!
I tried un-installing it via the main menu but to no dismay!
Only by downloading an app hider was i able to get rid of the app shortcut.

On too the more vital stuff now

Battery life- I have yet to see how long it lasts however i can say its fairly good however i use the app 2x battery life which probably helps me.

Messaging and Calling- very standard but smooth. however messaging lacks a dictionary so no auto correct

Internet and wifi- Standard no criticism to be made.

Camera- original has been replaced with Camera ICS. Its good however I would of gone on to rename it just "Camera"

OK for now that will conclude the review mainly because I cant think of what else to put in these.
So in conclusion.

This is a very nice, smooth app
However it is clear it has many flaws which make other ROMs superior.

CHANGES I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

-Auto sorting in menu
-Smaller dock background
-In-menu folders
-Ditch the ICS boot animation
-Make the bloatware optional
-DRIFT AWAY FROM GINGERBREAD......ok i know its based on 2.3.5 but please, come on, its a custom rom! it should be more customed!!! maybe change the widgets and icons to something more unique

Did you have to run v6 supercharger through terminal emulator/ script manager or was it implemented into the rom. Second did you try any intensive CPU demanding games to see if there was any improvement. Sorry to ask so many questions but at the moment it is rather difficult and time consuming for me to try this rom

Biohazard

Pinguy

Pinguy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
@BenTheHuman

This launcher has everything you are after but I would overclock the phone to get the best out of it. Its been ripped from the Sony Xperia S.

Video of it in use.

Just flash this with CWM.
Attached File  Launcher.zip   1.3MB   2 downloads

Edited by Pinguy, 08 May 2012 - 09:01 PM.

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
1.3mb. mmm bit small........(tthats what she said?)

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
ok anyways will try it out but i aint reviewing that too

BenTheHuman

BenTheHuman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
keyboard was outta sync so cba. hope some of my requests go into your next update is there is one

MadEye Moody

MadEye Moody

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Devices:ZTECrescent, Nexus 4
  • Twitter:@renjithis
Hi,

I was just going through the 87caliberation in init.d
I noticed that it is required to be run only once, so can this be changed
if [ -e /data/.battery-calibrated ] ; then
	    exit 0
fi

to

if [ -e /data/.battery-calibrated ] ; then
	    rm -f /data/.battery-caliberated $0
	    exit 0
fi

?

Shell script to trim down ROMs (tested on CM9 and CM10) : https://www.dropbox..../zip_trimmer.sh

Shell script (cron ready) to automate syncing, compiling and trimming(requires zip_trimmer.sh) CyanogenMod (currently for CM10, with just a few modifications, will work with CM9 source) : https://www.dropbox....htly_release.sh

MadEye Moody

MadEye Moody

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Is the md5sum posted correct? I downloaded twice from the mediafire link and got this

$ md5sum Downloads/*Kickass-ROM_V0.5.zip
9a49b8ed51f243b2e8a9b99e5d6bca77 Downloads/bad_Kickass-ROM_V0.5.zip
9a49b8ed51f243b2e8a9b99e5d6bca77 Downloads/Kickass-ROM_V0.5.zip

Shell script to trim down ROMs (tested on CM9 and CM10) : https://www.dropbox..../zip_trimmer.sh

Shell script (cron ready) to automate syncing, compiling and trimming(requires zip_trimmer.sh) CyanogenMod (currently for CM10, with just a few modifications, will work with CM9 source) : https://www.dropbox....htly_release.sh

Pinguy

Pinguy

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Updated to version 1.0

vhqck25

vhqck25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Devices:SF 2
Can you remove BBC cos is only work on UK,my country dont work

I'm use San Francisco II and Vinaphone Network

MadEye Moody

MadEye Moody

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Updated to version 1.0

Can u post the changelog in the post after the OP (or in th OP itself)?

rymate1234

rymate1234

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
This is actually one of the better roms avaliable for the SFII :D

I just wish the acer launcher had alphabetical sorting. Its sooooo good! :D

Josef Prusa

Josef Prusa

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Crescent, ZTE Blade
Hello Pinguy,

is there any chance you could fix the Bluetooth audio? I would like to use your ROM but this issue really makes it quite impossible for me. I remember Fish'n'Chips having the same problem back in the day when it was based off flibblesan's base. Once it got rebased on the French Free it started working fine.
Does your sister have the same issue, or is it just a problem of my device?

Anyway - thanks for your work.

PsYcHoKiLLa

PsYcHoKiLLa

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • Devices:LG Nexus 4, Tesco Hudl
  • Twitter:@djsubterrain
"Does your sister have the same issue"

lol?

AmbushReality

AmbushReality

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Enter Shikari, Other Screamo bands?
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco 2

"Does your sister have the same issue"

lol?

Piguys sister is the owner of the Vivicity

If you stand for nothing, You will fall for Anything- Rou Reynolds, Enter Shikari
Current Devices- OSFII Running Dazzozo's port of CM9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users