New B888 ROM from Huawei [Download Link Inside]

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

wiiija

wiiija

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
I've had a few force closes today with the Facebook app on B888, not sure what is causing it, I will try a reinstall and see if that fixes it.

Gary_J_Wright

Gary_J_Wright

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Devices:Moto G 2014 2nd gen XT1068
  • Twitter:@Gary_J_Wright
so im guessing the release tomorrow will be a vodafone flavoured B888 rom? can't see it being ICS!

Posted Image

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Lets hope it is a B888 rom as we can't downgrade at the moment.

Reg Facebook app, there are plenty if issues reported with it, especially on ICS. I doubt its the rom itself. Did you ever read that list of permissions that it requests? Quite an extensive list.

kradcliffe

kradcliffe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:Ascend G300
Updated to B888 flashing from within the phone (main & vendor updates)

Restored from Titanium and it's all fine.

Keith

achromic

achromic

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate, Huawei Ascend G300
Flashed to B888, restored everything with titanium and no problems reported. This is definitely smoother than before. I like it :D

Sent from my U8815 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Achromic

ZTE Skate - running Ice Armor III

T-Mobile Vivacity - Running CM10 (Spare)

Huawei Ascend G300, unlocked, rooted, de-crappified, and ICS Ir1 (SOLD!)

Posted Image

KasioPC

KasioPC

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
  • Twitter:@kasiopc
Just extracted all apps and data from my CWR backup using Titanium and everything working fine :)

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
also...on this update tomorrow...I wonder if it will fix these said security loop holes that Paul found; also kinda hoping someone uses it was a starter for a rom :)

*dreamer i know. lol

kradcliffe

kradcliffe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Devices:Ascend G300
It's looking good though ..... only a few weeks out and the B888 is working well. Unbelievable handset for £100 :)

I guess tomorrow's release will be B888 with all the Voda crapware on top!

Edited by kradcliffe, 08 May 2012 - 07:48 PM.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

It's looking good though ..... only a few weeks out and the B888 is working well. Unbelievable handset for £100 :)

I guess tomorrow's release will be B888 with all the Voda crapware on top!

hopefully Paul updates his ROM with this new update :)

Edited by FrankieADZ, 08 May 2012 - 08:23 PM.

FrownBreaker

FrownBreaker

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Devices:R1

Just extracted all apps and data from my CWR backup using Titanium and everything working fine :)

I'm used to CWR and have used it for backups / restores. Not used titanium is there a simple guide on how to use it with CWR?

Edited by FrownBreaker, 08 May 2012 - 08:42 PM.

punjabi

punjabi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
I've also updated to B888 - all working just fine.

The stock browaser is definately more faster with this one...

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
Frownbreaker, titanium backup backs up all apps on the phone so when you flash a new rom, you simply restore the backups of the apps which are stored on the SD card. The full version does more like freezing apps so that they don't run and more.
So clockworkmod flashes the rom, and titanium backs up and restores the apps basically. You can also restore data that was in notebook for example. It will not backup contacts or messages as far as I know.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
If this update makes the system partition larger in preparation for an ICS update then this is a very good thing. ICS takes up a lot more room than Gingerbread does.

I wouldn't be surprised if any upcoming ICS custom roms require people to have used the B888 update to resize the partitions. It has happened before on other Huawei devices.

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
Flib...you're probably right. Shame Huawei haven't given a more specific time for the ICS update. You need to get one of these too mate :)

FrownBreaker

FrownBreaker

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Frownbreaker, titanium backup backs up all apps on the phone so when you flash a new rom, you simply restore the backups of the apps which are stored on the SD card. The full version does more like freezing apps so that they don't run and more.
So clockworkmod flashes the rom, and titanium backs up and restores the apps basically. You can also restore data that was in notebook for example. It will not backup contacts or messages as far as I know.

Thanks. I selected the option in Titanium Root (Free version) to backup apps and other bits it ran for a while and said completed. 121 apps backed up.

Edited by FrownBreaker, 09 May 2012 - 12:14 PM.

FrownBreaker

FrownBreaker

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Definately better than the stock rom. Was that DTS toggle switch under settings/ sound on the B884 and 886 roms?

Yes for 886

dragpyre

dragpyre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Devices:kumquat, grouper
  • Twitter:@dragpyre

If this update makes the system partition larger in preparation for an ICS update then this is a very good thing. ICS takes up a lot more room than Gingerbread does.

I wouldn't be surprised if any upcoming ICS custom roms require people to have used the B888 update to resize the partitions. It has happened before on other Huawei devices.

B888 is still bigger than B885, and doesn't have the Vodafone stuff, so even though its "demo" or "unofficial," its still proven to be a lot faster and responsive than the Vodafone stock.

If what you say about partitions is true, then we're ahead now, and I can flash ICS onto it in future without having to continually upgrade from version to version.
Unless a new B88* ROM comes out, or Huawei officially release B886 or B888 officially, I'll stick with what I have. From what I can tell, this ROM is not compromised in any way.

Thanks. I selected the option in Titanium Root (Free version) to backup apps and other bits it ran for a while and said completed. 121 apps backed up.

I just used AllBackup that was built into the ROM by Huawei. Worked a treat :) All apps, SMS messages, contacts, data etc. backed up fine.

With B888, I've found the touch more precise, the phone is smoother, its using less RAM (I normally have about ~250 free according to Go Launcher EX and ES Task Manager after I do a clear).
As you saw on the other page, my benchmark tests shows that the performance of the phone in the tests appear to be a bit higher (bar 1). If Huawei keep going in the direction they are, their ICS ROM will be fantastic, and they could see their names up there with Samsung, HTC and Sony. :)

Posted Image

If you like one of my posts, or if it helps you out, vote it up! :)

(now updated device list and added twitter. Come stalk me ;) )

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
The backup app is a new thing. Could this have something to do with the changed partitions, that the backups are stored in a secure area and not just on the SD card?

dbaseii

dbaseii

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Devices:POV Mobii 10.1
  • Twitter:@dbase
Damn. I have low volume again after flashing b888. Heres whats happend
I had stock vodafone rom.
Backed up using cwm
Flashed b886. Volume loud.
Restored stock from cwm. Volume still loud.
Flashed b888. Volume back to low unless I use fm radio through speaker.
Whats gone wrong?

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
Just took the plunge and installed B888, then started making attempts at downgrading for fun. I managed to restore my CWM backup of B886 and the phone says it is B886 but it still fails when installing any update files. Looks like it changes/sets something that's out of the scope of /system /data or /cust...so not sure where to look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users