Connected to WiFi but Web pages not loading + Swipe screen notifications

Guest Copperface

Guest Copperface

Hi,

New Ascend owner here. I have seen various mentions of problems with WiFi connection on the Ascend G300 but not been able to see if there is a simple solution or what I am doing wrong.

The phone picks up and connects to my router, a Thomson Speedtouch 585 (BeThere is my ISP), input the password and connection made.

I try to load a web page and phone says that it cannot load the page (Google, BBC News and other mainstream sites).

I have altered the settings to static IP settings as proposed elsewhere on this site but no joy.

This happens both on the stock Vodafone ROM locked to Voda, Stock Voda Rom unlocked, and now the B888 ROM which I have installed.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Also since I installed the B888 Rom, I notice that the notifications screen that you swipe down no longer has the wifi and bluetooth widgets on it. I have put the widgets on the home screen but it was always handy to have them on the swipe down screen as well. anyone know how to get them back?

Many thanks.

Guest Copperface

you need to also flash the APP file that is in the vendor folder

Cheers - can I do that now as a one off as the B888 install has been running for a couple of hours or do i need to run the whole B888 install again at the same time as the vendor app?

does the vendor app solve the swipe screen notifications or solve the WiFi issue?

Thanks.

Guest bumps

you can do it now and this is for the swipe screen. The wifi issue seems like its more to do with your router to you have access to another hotspot to see if it's the same

Guest KasioPC

With regards to the notification toggle switches, bumps is right. You need to do the same process using the UPDATE.APP in the vendor folder - make sure you copy it to the same location as the original ('dload')

WiFi can be a bit hit and miss, some routers will just not work with some phones. Have you got any other Android phones?

Guest Copperface

you can do it now and this is for the swipe screen. The wifi issue seems like its more to do with your router to you have access to another hotspot to see if it's the same

Thanks for info re the vendor app - will get that done.

No, no access to another router at the moment. Do I need to have the phone set to those static IP settings or should they all be blank, and the phone just pick up the setings from the router once the password has been input? I do not have another Android phone but i do use a Cowon D3 Android PMP and that works flawlessly on Gingerbread and connects instantly.

Edited by Copperface

Guest KasioPC

Thanks for info re the vendor app - will get that done.

No, no access to another router at the moment. Do I need to have the phone set to those static IP settings or should they all be blank, and the phone just pick up the setings from the router once the password has been input?

It should just be a case of entering a password and you should be set. "Static IP" should usually be unticked

Guest Christian Edwards

The Wifi problem sounds like the same issue my wife is having with her G300 and an old BT HomeHub which is also a Speedtouch under the skin.

Guest Copperface

The Wifi problem sounds like the same issue my wife is having with her G300 and an old BT HomeHub which is also a Speedtouch under the skin.

Not sure if it just the Speedtouch or something else - saw this http://www.trickswin...droid-wifi.html

Not sure if linked but tried the static IP setting and still no joy.

Factory reset to clear all data and no change.

Even turned off encryption and again, connected but nothing loaded.

Edited by Copperface

Guest Eclogue

I've got a speedtouch 576 with WPA enabled, and can confirm similar behaviour on vodafone and 8.8.6 ROMs.

It connects to Wifi OK, but has no internet connection. I have got it to work by choosing static IP with details as follows:

IP address: 192.168.1.66 (in my case)

Netmask:255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.1.254 (in my case - my router)

DNS: 8.8.8.8 (the google DNS server)

I got the IP address from my router - logged onto http://192.168.1.254 (my router), and went to 'home network', 'devices', and the G300 MAC address '10:c6:1f:'etc. - I hit 'configure' and made it a static IP (so the router never changes it) then noted down the IP address my router had given it, and used it on the phone.

You can see the change, as the wifi goes green, to show google account connectivity.

Edited by Eclogue

Guest Copperface

Eclogue,

Many thanks for that. I tried the settings you gave and the wifi is working correctly so big sigh of relief.

However, does using a static IP mean that there will be problems connecting to other wifi hubs when out and about or away from home, or will it be a question of enabling the static ip config on the phone when at home, then disabling when away from home?

Is this a router problem or a phone problem?

Cheers

Guest dragpyre

Hi,

New Ascend owner here. I have seen various mentions of problems with WiFi connection on the Ascend G300 but not been able to see if there is a simple solution or what I am doing wrong.

The phone picks up and connects to my router, a Thomson Speedtouch 585 (BeThere is my ISP), input the password and connection made.

I try to load a web page and phone says that it cannot load the page (Google, BBC News and other mainstream sites).

I have altered the settings to static IP settings as proposed elsewhere on this site but no joy.

This happens both on the stock Vodafone ROM locked to Voda, Stock Voda Rom unlocked, and now the B888 ROM which I have installed.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Also since I installed the B888 Rom, I notice that the notifications screen that you swipe down no longer has the wifi and bluetooth widgets on it. I have put the widgets on the home screen but it was always handy to have them on the swipe down screen as well. anyone know how to get them back?

Many thanks.

Vendor folder APP needs flashing as well as main ROM.

As for your wireless issue, I have a D-Link router from TalkTalk and that works fine.

Maybe its just these older routers?

Eclogue,

Many thanks for that. I tried the settings you gave and the wifi is working correctly so big sigh of relief.

However, does using a static IP mean that there will be problems connecting to other wifi hubs when out and about or away from home, or will it be a question of enabling the static ip config on the phone when at home, then disabling when away from home?

Is this a router problem or a phone problem?

Cheers

A static IP will need to be disable away from home.

As to whether it is the router or phone, it could be either, however, I have had no issues with my G300 on any Wireless network, public, corporate or at home.

Guest Eclogue

After digging around the internet & using a few apps, my best guess is that it's because the speedtouch is handing out a default gateway (ie what the phone should connect to for internet addresses) of 0.0.0.0, which doesn't work.

I guess most devices are clever enough to just use something that works anyway, or don't have something that makes them be given that address to start with?

Guest Copperface

After digging around the internet & using a few apps, my best guess is that it's because the speedtouch is handing out a default gateway (ie what the phone should connect to for internet addresses) of 0.0.0.0, which doesn't work.

I guess most devices are clever enough to just use something that works anyway, or don't have something that makes them be given that address to start with?

Could be. However i spoke to my ISP and they acknowledge there may be a problem with Android Gingerbread and the Thomson 585s. They are sending me a new modem.....

This is what their tech support said: 'There's a common problem with Gingerbread(and very possibly other Android releases) and the Speed Touch routers. The device connects via WiFi, everything seems ok, but there's no actual traffic passing through.

Second, the Speed Touch devices are quite old already.

Having all this in mind, the best and least arduous thing to do is to replace your modem.'

They are sending a Technicolor 582n, so good service all round.