Battery charging can't keep up

Guest Argonaut

Guest Argonaut

My S2 (4.0.3) works fine in phone mode, Car charger works OK

However when I use it is Satnav mode the charger cannot keep up ... phone does show it's charging via USB, but it slowly discharges.

Assumption is when screen is active phone is drawing so much current that USB charging cannot provide enough current.

Also I have Bluetooth active for car kit ...

3G + BT + GPS + Screen = too much current.

I have tried 3 different car chargers all are the same ... can't cope in SatNav mode.

Anybody have a fix for this ? ... or know of higher current USB charger ? or cna I spoof it so it thinks its being charged via AC .. then it would accept higher current flow.

Guest Gaz14

Get a galaxy s2 car dock, the supplied charger charges my phone in car mode with GPS navigation, Bluetooth and music paying

Guest Argonaut

Don't really want to buy another car kit ... change phone almost annually .. have a whole draw of old kits.

You would expect that SGS II would be able to keep charge ... but it looks like USB charging simply can't do it ....

I even got hold of a 1.5A USB adapter ... still the .... phone stays charged happily until I turn on SatNav ... then it slowly discharges at a few % per Qtr of an hour.

On a long drive it is soon warning of low battery

I'm not sure what the difference is between USB charging via adapter and via AC adapter ... would assume 5V DC is same ... so phone is 'dumb' in that respect, so don't see how a car dock would improve anything.

Guest Gaz14

just get a proper charger cable not a USB the proper chargers have the other 2 terminals shorted or which tells the phone to pull more milliamps, therefore charging the phone quicker, because the phone doesn't want to try and pull more then half an amp off a USB port

So even with the 1.5 amp USB charger, the phone us only going to pull .5

Edited by Gaz14

Guest V5er

I had the same problem and tried a few car chargers. I also use a Bluetooth car kit to stream audio and satnav from my phone as well as making/taking calls.

This is the only thing that works for me and is under a fiver at the likes of Amazon. Make sure your battery is an original Samsung and your USB cable is decent quality.

Belkin Micro USB CLA Battery charger - car