Returning a faulty G300?

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I am just after some consumer advice.

Some of you will know that I have been experiencing intermittent issues with my screen. I am considering whether I should return and replace it. I am still running the stock Vodafone ROM but the unit is both unlocked and rooted and I have been using the GiffGaff network. Oh, and I have also installed ClockworkMod. I ordered it online on 19th April and collected it from my local store on 20th. The problem was first evident on 28th April (just over a week after a bought it).

Firstly, does anybody know how long I would have in which to return it, even if I hadn't rooted and unlocked it?

Secondly, are Vodafone likely to be awkward about an exchange/refund if they know it is unlocked/rooted and I haven't been using it on their network?

Thirdly, is it possible to restore the original recovery and evict ClockworkMod?

Finally, I'm a bit undure about whether they would need proof of the fault, given that it is intermittent and so I may not be able to show them unless it becomes permanent.

What would be the best course of action?

Cheers.

Edited by Konstipated Kiwi

Guest kradcliffe

If this is the blob on the screen then it's not a biggie. I have had it twice now by having the phone in my back pocket when sitting down and it just goes away by itself. Seems to be caused by pressure on the screen at certain points.

I won't be returning my one for this as they'll all be the same.

Keith

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Ah. Thanks for that, Keith. It is [kind of] reassuring to know that somebody else has experienced the same. I am reluctant to return it unless I have to, as I would have to pay again to have a replacement unlocked.

I agree that it must be something ot do with pressure. It's just weird that I can't seem to replicate it by squeezing anywhere. As you say, so far it does seem to go away either of its own accord or with a bit of encouragement.

Out of curiosity, did your blob appear in the same area of the screen as mine (slightly above centre and slightly left of centre)?

Cheers,

Richard.

That sounds a little odd to me that it appears in same place on different devices.

This,reminds me of the blade,some,including me,had a light leak in top right corner of screen,it was only visible in dark.

From what is being described here,happening in same place,I suspect its something other than pressure to the screen.If it was pressure,then surely the pressure applied to one screen would be different to another,and most likely in a different part of the screen,also the fact it cannot be replicated by applying pressure is slightly worrying.

Guest Frankish

You can restore stock vodafone rom no problem and you are covered for 6 months by the sales of goods act with proof of purchase.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Thanks, Frankish. I am actually still running the stock ROM. I am more concerned about whether they will quibble because I have never used it on their network. Because I bought it online, I suspect I can't simply take it into the store and swap it for a new one but have to return it by mail instead. I have a horrible feeling they will see that it is unlocked, rooted and sports a completely different recovery and send it back to me with 'tough luck jackass' plastered all over it in red letters!

Guest Frankish

Hmm as long as you restore to stock shouldn't be an issue. It's worth a try. Regardless of if you use it on the network they have a duty to you. Although you are right they may make you send it by post but try a shop first!

Guest Davidoff59

Returned mine which was rooted and clockworked but I installed the stock rom before returning. No problem at all. He appeared to be going through stuff on the phone so I imagine he was checking the built number or something else which matched anyway with the stock rom installed.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Aye. If I had bought it from a store I wouldn't be so worried. I imagine with a customer stood there they don't have time to be farting about with checking for root access and custom recovery. I bought online so I will almost certainly have to post it off. I am concerned they will be more thorough in their checks when they don't have the pressure of somebody stood there and other customers waiting ot be served.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Gosh! I'm surprised. Oh well; that has given me a little more confidence. Will get in touch with Vodafone customer services and see what happens.