[APP] Proof the camera LED cannot be used as a torch

Guest Dazzozo

Guest Dazzozo

So, I've spent a couple of minutes porting and translating C3C0's Skate app to English and I thought it'd be a good idea to post it here to finally put this to rest.

This will probably only work on stock, debranded or customised stock ROMs, and CM7. This doesn't work on CM9 due to the WIP nature of the camera support there.

It is built against 2.3.3 APIs, so it should work on anything later which encompasses all of the ROMs available.

My understanding of the problem is as follows: if you run the check torch support button, it'll spit out all of the supported flash modes for the camera. We only have "on" and "off" available, and no "torch" mode - the only way of us activating the LED is to "kind of" take a picture with flash and discard everything. To simulate torch mode, we could theoretically spam the "on" mode, but as each of these requires a "fake picture" to be taken, the camera needs time to process that operation and this results in a flashing LED.

In short, limitations of the camera hardware make the idea of a torch seem impossible at this point.

The app hopes to sort-of demonstrate this, but may result in different, quirky behaviour on ROMs that aren't stock-based.

Download: v1

Source: https://github.com/C3C0/com_ceco_Torch

Edited by Dazzozo

Guest fr0do

On CM7 on my TMV, Turn on Torch works (led flashes), and turns off. "Check Torch support" says "The camera doesn't support the torch flash mode".

Guest Dazzozo

On CM7 on my TMV, Turn on Torch works (led flashes), and turns off. "Check Torch support" says "The camera doesn't support the torch flash mode".

CM7 works as intended then. Will edit OP.

CM9, tested it myself, due to the WIP nature doesn't actually demonstrate what's intended here.

Guest app10336

Same thing with FNC 7 and French Blade S.