B885 update not working!

Guest dragpyre

Guest dragpyre

Trying to install the B885 update, am running stock B882, and I'm getting the following messages (both with stock recovery and CWM)

"file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop": No such file or directory.

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(status 7)

Installation aborted.

Help?

EDIT: Mounted some volumes, now I get:

assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/fat/image/amsshd.mbn", "ced14a2adcbe0719ab6301c32a1e2443eefb4eeb". "e8ab4613eb05e2f715e5b518b1f8aa78f592b8d2")

E: Error in /sdcard/update.zip

(status 7)

Installation aborted.

Edited by dragpyre

Guest Sebastian404

you cant install the update with ClockWorkMod Recovery, you need to use the stock recovery, and to be having a stock rom, it wont work if you've installed a custom rom

Guest dragpyre

you cant install the update with ClockWorkMod Recovery, you need to use the stock recovery, and to be having a stock rom, it wont work if you've installed a custom rom

I took the stock ROM from your site, and restored to it after wiping from B888.

EDIT: stock recovery back, same error as: assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/fat/image/amsshd.mbn", "ced14a2adcbe0719ab6301c32a1e2443eefb4eeb". "e8ab4613eb05e2f715e5b518b1f8aa78f592b8d2")

Edited by dragpyre

Guest dragpyre

B888 changed the partition sizes so I presume that is causing the issues.

Is there any way to make them their previous sizes?

Edited by dragpyre

Guest dragpyre

We will have to wait for someone to make something to change the partition sizes

Ahh right. I've reverted back to B888 now, and restored all my stuff. Lets hope these partition sizes are for ICS!

Guest Sebastian404

I took the stock ROM from your site, and restored to it after wiping from B888.

Oh, thats your problem, there is no way to downgrade back from B888, since it comes with a newer amsshd and we dont have the old version.

Guest Frankish

Would a shop notice if you just flash vodafone system etc and unrooted and returned it? That's best option for now I think.

Guest FlatPackPete

Oh, thats your problem, there is no way to downgrade back from B888, since it comes with a newer amsshd and we dont have the old version.

Newbie question: What is amsshd and why can't we extract it from previous firmware?

Guest jezwelshmun

i had errors after installing official update without touching any other rom, it eventually rebooted and ive lost all the vodafone bloatware so taking it back denying any tampering is definately an option

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I also thought of editing the build prop numbers to make it show as B885.

Doubt this would work as all it does is just renames your version to something else lol. The data and everything else inside all remains as a B888 version regardless of whether you edit that version to another number with build.prop editor, etc.

That's why I didn't go for B888 having read thoroughly from others that they can't go back. It's a disaster in my opinion. No matter what people say about how good it is, etc. If a technical issue occurs to your phone from whatever reason, Vodafone will reject your appeal simply because they see B888..

Now maybe you could trick them for a replacement if you change the number to B885 from B888 or lower then these guys in the vodafone shop may not find out... But it's still risky. However, unrooting is not a problem as it removes the SuperUser icon. :)

Edited by BLaZiNgSPEED

Guest BLaZiNgSPEED

I doubt they could figure out if you flash a B885 stock system, unroot etc. Don't think they check any deeper.

Yes well then ofcourse they won't find out.

But I thought you can't flash back to B885 once you install the leaked B888 ROM? That's why I haven't bothered to risk with the B888 ROM. Would be wiser to wait for Vodafone to release it and then hopefully Vodafone will let you downgrade from B888 to the older ROMS.

Guest Frankish

You can't flash a full stock rom. However you can flash a zip or adb push the stock system folder for any rom and it will work still. Even with future vodafone releases I doubt a true downgrade will be possible. But system downgrade is.

The thing is the partition sizes are not the REAL issue here. The downgrade fails on an amss version check

Edited by Frankish

Guest Frankish

Depends...Huawei will put out ICS first and the B888 will probably be first to upgrade to this. Any Vodafone branded rom will firstly pass from Huawei to Vodafone and then be customised (bastardised) then eventually sent out to users.

Guest eirlysbill1

You can't flash a full stock rom. However you can flash a zip or adb push the stock system folder for any rom and it will work still. Even with future vodafone releases I doubt a true downgrade will be possible. But system downgrade is.

The thing is the partition sizes are not the REAL issue here. The downgrade fails on an amss version check

That clears things up a bit, cheers