• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

hey ipaq, about the (zram) script, can i put it in (sh file) and put it an (system/etc/init.d) folder???

I read some of you got some mods to put in that init.d directory, but I am quite sure the default installation has no such facilities to run init.d scripts. If you really need to do it, you'll need another version of busybox that supports the run-parts applet. Still you have to modify your init.rc to add the run-parts snippet. And IIRC, the stuff inside the init.d directory from the default installation can wreck havoc to your installation. So be careful when you plan touch that.

EDIT: Indeed there's run-part that comes with the default installation - but you still have to mod the init.rc scripts.

with "dirty pack" got signal and no
wifii error!!

Great. That means I have to read a good git book on how to do diff properly, and then make a 2.1 build <_<

Edited by ipaq3870, 16 May 2012 - 11:36 AM.

ipaq3870@madaco ~~~ Kernel Experiment for Omnia II ~~~ Offline until July

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Hmmm... Can you try the attached zImage together with kmod? It's a vanilla version with commit 7a226a0890f1ff7f15626ab1e6a70dcde940830b reverted (I think I have missed this one in the release.)

oh
is this 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit ?
by the way
i found the phone getting some strips on the screen
is it normal ? i tried the 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
with the dirty one
my wifi is still not working =[

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Devices:Omnia
I'm using d8a036f-694-667mhz-166mhz-160mb-24bpp version.

Phone and WIFI is working fine.

My problem is with "24bpp screen", it also happend when i tried to implement it in devs kernel. It's hard to explain, screen gets weird, like a television with interference.

Running zram script showed some errors:

cant create /sys/block/zram0/compressor: nonexistent directory
cant create /sys/block/zram0/reset: nonexistent directory

But it's working, because free command was showing swap off and after run the script it's showing swap working.

System seems stable, fast even with this cpu downgrade. But i'll stop use it because of screem problem. doesn't seems good.

Spoiler

Also, if the system is running with only 667mhz, what do you think is making it faster? The Zram?

Edited by rom_omnia2, 15 May 2012 - 08:27 PM.

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
I didn't noticied speed difference with ZRAM. When you are using a lot of applications (Ebuddy, Opera Mini, SoundCloud, etc) it get slow just as regular swap. Took a while to switch between applications. Also, i'm using GO Launcher because of all widgets (it's all free) which make it even slower. But i checked with CPUTunner and it's running with 667mhz and isn't slower than 800mhz, which is good, at least i didn't noticied it.

Also, have someone noticied the "24bpp framebuffer (truecolor display) driver"? I can't see the difference, maybe isn't working here, as i said above i've that interference problem.

Edited by rom_omnia2, 15 May 2012 - 11:09 PM.

louis xv

louis xv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
/666-166/ 144 RAM/24 bpp/ review:
- colors are brilliant
- screen flickering has gone by setting min freq to 166 MHz usin setcpu (init.rc line with 266000 value didn.t work for me)
- usb driver (mass storage) is good (the original kernel wasn't working for me usually)
- UI generally is well responsive.
- games: (drag racing) is horribly slow (although it went fast for only one race)
(defender) is still playable but with white background some times)
thats for now. and thanks to ipaq and all devs.

BTW how could i try the (kexec) binary?

jingang

jingang

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

you should download modules:
d8a036f-kmod.zip
and any kernel (zImage) you choose.

thanks

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

i found the phone getting some strips on the screen
is it normal ? i tried the 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit

My problem is with "24bpp screen", it also happend when i tried to implement it in devs kernel. It's hard to explain, screen gets weird, like a television with interference.

This has been detailed in the caveat section of the first page. In short, what you are seeing is the CPU won't have enough cycle to process screen refresh, and hence you are seeing frames skipping. Specifically 24bpp requires slightly highly processing requirements, so if your CPU keeps running at its lowest freq, i.e. 83.25Mhz, you'll experience what you've described. For details, read the linked post in the caveat section.

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

is this 667 mhz + 166mhz and 24 bit ?

with the dirty one
my wifi is still not working =[

The dirty one is of vanilla flavor, that is 800MHz/133Mhz/16bpp. It's strange that your wifi's still not work while others reporting good. Can you post a dmesg and last segment of logcat -v time starting from the time just before your press the wifi button?

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

cant create /sys/block/zram0/compressor: nonexistent directory
cant create /sys/block/zram0/reset: nonexistent directory

These 2 lines have no harm. I was just doing tests to plug different compressors to zram, and to test different size. You can safely remove those lines if you feel so urged to.

Also, if the system is running with only 667mhz, what do you think is making it faster? The Zram?

Nope, although they are somehow made for each other (unintentionally). See my benchmarks in the first post. I don't normally rely too much on benchmarks, but it does give some indications. You can do your own quick tests using Linpack or Quadrant to see the difference. But yes, running with 667Mhz won't have big noticeable speed improvements - but I am sure it saves some battery juice.

Also, have someone noticied the "24bpp framebuffer (truecolor display) driver"? I can't see the difference, maybe isn't working here, as i said above i've that interference problem.

Hmmm... I get you some apps to try. Just a moment.

EDIT: See this most excellent page for illustration, and get the test app there: http://www.curious-c...-and-dithering/ I may do some screen shots later if I have time.

EDIT2: Color is a very subjective matter. One might be more sensitive to it but the others not. I can even tell the difference with the default wallpaper in the 2 different bpp settings. You'll find below 2 screenshots attached that can demonstrate the severity of the banding problem of 16bpp framebuffer - click to see them in full size. Try use a 24bpp kernel and see the difference yourself.

EDIT3: BTW, you can use the following command in a terminal the check the bpp of the current running framebuffer:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/graphics/fb0/bits_per_pixel

EDIT4: The background should look like the last 2 images in a 24bpp screen.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   28.83KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   21.84KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  3.png   221.38KB   14 downloads
  • Attached File  4.png   2.85KB   12 downloads

Edited by ipaq3870, 30 May 2012 - 06:53 AM.

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

The dirty one is of vanilla flavor, that is 800MHz/133Mhz/16bpp. It's strange that your wifi's still not work while others reporting good. Can you post a dmesg and last segment of logcat -v time starting from the time just before your press the wifi button?

i replaced the kernel in the "my storage"
and delete the modules folder in the system
then i copy the new modules folder with all the things except the zimage in the dirty one .zip
then reboot .. not working
how do i log it ? thanks

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
E/WifiService( 2040): Failed to load Wi-Fi driver.
D/ConnectivityService( 2040): getMobileDataEnabled returning false
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): Widget is from a previous version... Let's u
pdate
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): No instances yet... Wait for at least one in
stance to exist before adding global settings
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): Widget is from a previous version... Let's u
pdate
D/SettingsAppWidgetProvider( 3367): No instances yet... Wait for at least one in
stance to exist before adding global settings
D/dalvikvm( 3251): GC_EXPLICIT freed 1095 objects / 72696 bytes in 233ms
W/3gw.Service( 2370): onLowMemory called: available memory=25047040
D/dalvikvm( 2370): GC_EXPLICIT freed 4223 objects / 764256 bytes in 191ms
D/dalvikvm( 2975): GC_EXPLICIT freed 1360 objects / 128808 bytes in 245ms
D/NativeCrypto( 2975): Freeing OpenSSL session
D/skia    ( 2445): purging 124K from font cache [12 entries]
D/dalvikvm( 2445): GC_EXPLICIT freed 6261 objects / 366240 bytes in 188ms
i think this is it

louis xv

louis xv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
ipaq ,could you tell me how to test the (kexec) binary?

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

then i copy the new modules folder with all the things except the zimage in the dirty one .zip
then reboot .. not working
how do i log it ? thanks

To confirm you are really using the right build, try do the following in a terminal:
uname -a

It will show you the revision number starting with the alphabet "g", and the build number #. Match it with the downloaded files. Your logcat confirms your wifi didn't start. Can you do a dmesg as well 2 minutes after you started wifi with the following command in terminal? It will give you more leads to follow.

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Post the resulting file /sdcard/dmesg.txt - you may snip the early lines before you start wifi.

Edited by ipaq3870, 16 May 2012 - 05:00 PM.

ipaq3870

ipaq3870

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

ipaq ,could you tell me how to test the (kexec) binary?

Gotta go now. Will post it later and update this post later.

EDIT: Now I am back.

As I mentioned in first page, kexec is not quite working properly. But if you insist to test it, use the following command:
/path/to/your/kexec --command-line="your startup.txt CMDLINE" -l /your/zImage
/path/to/your/kexec -e

Edited by ipaq3870, 17 May 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Pathwalker

Pathwalker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:OMNIA 2
ipaq??!
dude is it possible that you'll be the hero who'll save our phone from dying??! :P
hope you make a new update for cm! cheers

louis xv

louis xv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Gotta go now. Will post it later and update this post later.

okay, i'm waiting

louis xv

louis xv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
ipaq, could you provide just one more falvour (666 CPU /166 AHB /24bpp /128 RAM)
to avoid white squares and still have zram benefits ???

rom_omnia2

rom_omnia2

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

ipaq, could you provide just one more falvour (666 CPU /166 AHB /24bpp /128 RAM)
to avoid white squares and still have zram benefits ???

I'm just curious, which applications have white squares? If is Galery app, then i would suggest QuickPic from Market, is better than default Galery and don't use 3D, so there's no white squares problem.

About games, well... we have to choose between more available memory (which means more responsive system) or 3D performance. Even that way i can still play some nice 2D games like Robo Defense, Dragon Fly, etc.

nikkotsoi

nikkotsoi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

To confirm you are really using the right build, try do the following in a terminal:

uname -a

It will show you the revision number starting with the alphabet "g", and the build number #. Match it with the downloaded files. Your logcat confirms your wifi didn't start. Can you do a dmesg as well 2 minutes after you started wifi with the following command in terminal? It will give you more leads to follow.

dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt

Post the resulting file /sdcard/dmesg.txt - you may snip the early lines before you start wifi.

hello,, i don't know if i did it wrong
can't see anything about "wifi"?
Attached File  dmesg.txt   122.59KB   5 downloads

Edited by nikkotsoi, 17 May 2012 - 03:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users