[ROM][ZTE Skate - Android 2.3.5] H3 Blues (Official Dolby Audio)

Guest H3ROS

Your new kernel... Can you compare it with an existig kernel?

You mean feature wise? I'll list some stuff shortly as it's still work in progress. I don't want to say theres something there and then remove it and disappoint anyone.

@ xander21

Probably, but YouTube is one of the key apps that most people use. It's easier just to delete the apk from the ROM before installing it. That or you can use an app like root uninstaller to remove it.

Guest xander21

@ xander21

Probably, but YouTube is one of the key apps that most people use. It's easier just to delete the apk from the ROM before installing it. That or you can use an app like root uninstaller to remove it.

Ok, i'll try that way.

I just hate apps that start by it self to suck the battery.

Guest Uncharitable

You mean feature wise? I'll list some stuff shortly as it's still work in progress. I don't want to say theres something there and then remove it and disappoint anyone.

Okay...

Then I'm waiting for the release!

Ok, i'll try that way.

I just hate apps that start by it self to suck the battery.

Although YouTube will sometimes wake up it shouldn't actually cause any wakelocks, which is what wastes battery.

If you forcefully close apps you can actually end up with wasted memory and it can worsen battery life.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest jtharmor

When you finish this rom, the skate will be a museum piece. :D

Ha ha ha !! I already got a new phone........just came by to check if this ROM is still out or not ...........lol

Guest xander21

Although YouTube will sometimes wake up it shouldn't actually cause any wakelocks, which is what wastes battery.

If you forcefully close apps you can actually end up with wasted memory and it can worsen battery life.

I use Advanced Task Killer since years to free memory and without, i end with 30 to 50mb free only.

With it, i'm most of time around 100mb free.

Even if i waste some memory, it looks to be less than what i could lost in memory, cpu and battery without killing apps, no ?

Edited by xander21

Guest omegavesko

I use Advanced Task Killer since years to free memory and without, i end with 30 to 50mb free only.

With it, i'm most of time around 100mb free.

Even if i waste some memory, it looks to be less than what i could lost in memory, cpu and battery without killing apps, no ?

No offense, but that's a really bad idea - task killers haven't been necessary since Froyo.

It has to do with how Android (and Linux in general) manages RAM. It's not like Windows where the goal is to have as much free RAM as possible. On Linux, your memory being full is a good thing because it means you can launch apps faster. If any of that memory is needed for something else, it will be freed up.

If ATK is making your phone run faster or consume less battery, most likely it's a badly made app misbehaving in the background.

Guest xander21

No offense, but that's a really bad idea - task killers haven't been necessary since Froyo.

It has to do with how Android (and Linux in general) manages RAM. It's not like Windows where the goal is to have as much free RAM as possible. On Linux, your memory being full is a good thing because it means you can launch apps faster. If any of that memory is needed for something else, it will be freed up.

If ATK is making your phone run faster or consume less battery, most likely it's a badly made app misbehaving in the background.

It doesn't make phone faster it just looks to make a better battery life because no apps use CPU and data connexion.

But i'll try without it and remove unwanted apps.

Edited by xander21

Guest xander21

Do you think i can safely remove "youtube", "gmail" and "news and weather" with root uninstaller ?

From now, i have only frozen them.

Could you change the file browser by "es explorer" ?

it allows to browse from a ring tone using explorer.

Guest Redstarr1
Do you think i can safely remove "youtube", "gmail" and "news and weather" with root uninstaller ?

From now, i have only frozen them.

Could you change the file browser by "es explorer" ?

it allows to browse from a ring tone using explorer.

Yes you can remove those apps without issues.

About ES Explorer, isn't that ad-supported? If so H3ROS won't use that. You can easily install it yourself.

Guest xander21

I have removed the few unwanted apps and also ATK. ;-)

Is there a way to put mp3 as clock ring tone without adding apps ?

Maybe i haven't check well the content of the rom.

Guest omegavesko

The default sound should be one of the files in /system/media/audio/alarms/. Just replace the default one with a sound you want and then rename it so it's the same name as the old one.

Edited by omegavesko

Guest xander21

The default sound should be one of the files in /system/media/audio/alarms/. Just replace the default one with a sound you want and then rename it so it's the same name as the old one.

I know this way but i change time to time from a directory on the SD that i put all my mp3.

No other way ?

Guest omegavesko

I know this way but i change time to time from a directory on the SD that i put all my mp3.

No other way ?

Without adding apps, I don't think so.

Guest Redstarr1

Without adding apps, I don't think so.

Doesn't Android scan /sdcard/media/audio/notifications (or ringtones) or /sdcard/Notifications for ringtones/alarm sounds? Facebook and Google Hangouts save their sounds there and Android picks that up without having to do anything.

I'm still not sure if I'll hit the Sept 1st release. I've been delayed a bit as I've been helping a friend of mine setup their Y300, so I've been submitting patches to Tillaz for his ROM. I will still try for the 1st, but I know I've still got some stuff to do.

Guest Uncharitable
I'm still not sure if I'll hit the Sept 1st release. I've been delayed a bit as I've been helping a friend of mine setup their Y300, so I've been submitting patches to Tillaz for his ROM. I will still try for the 1st, but I know I've still got some stuff to do.

:o

I'm back working on this now. I've gave up submitting patches to help Y300 users as I like things to be done properly so that theres no room for error, but Tillaz doesn't work like that. He doesn't mind a bit of sloppy code or risking a few logcat errors as long as things appear to work good enough for him. I can't work with people like that, so when I've got a few minutes I guess I'll modify his ROM to get rid of some of the issues for my friend.

EDIT: And if Tillaz should read this, it's nothing personal and I respect you for having a good ROM for the Y300. I just don't agree with your coding methods as it goes against everything I've taught myself to do. Like I've said, I'd rather put time into something no matter how tedious it is to get it right the first time than to take some shortcuts and have it bite me in the ass later on.

With H3 Holo I've got a font colour issue to track down and fix and the wifi/hotspot issue to fix. I'm also not sure what to do about the radio. Do I try to theme the really basic yet fully funtional stock radio or do I keep the modded MIUI radio? Decisions, decisions.

Edited by H3ROS

Stock radio is also ugly though and it has less features.

EDIT:

30/8 - I've fixed the bug where if you enabled WiFi and then enabled tethering (both via the power widgets) and then re-enabled WiFi it'd cause SystemUI to force close. I think every other stock based ROM that supports power widgets on both the ZTE Skate and Blade has this bug.

I may not make the 1st of Septermber as I'll be out of town most of the weekend, but I'm in the final stages now.

Edited by H3ROS

Guest xander21

Doesn't Android scan /sdcard/media/audio/notifications (or ringtones) or /sdcard/Notifications for ringtones/alarm sounds? Facebook and Google Hangouts save their sounds there and Android picks that up without having to do anything.

It scans specific directories for specific use but on my phone, i don't use any of these directories.

I have one directories for ringtones and alarm and i pick on it for both use. I won't copy mp3 in each directory.

I was looking for something like the sound player that have an option to add as ringtone but to add as alarm.

I'll install ES Explorer and everything will be fine. ;)

Edited by xander21

Guest SimonDeBacker

I may not make the 1st of Septermber as I'll be out of town most of the weekend, but I'm in the final stages now.

np. you are the dev.

np, but don't let us down

sorry for double post, it so late for me, and i am a very sleepy

Edited by Paun21