Photo

[ROM][ZTE Skate - Android 2.3.5] H3 Blues (Official Dolby Audio)

* * * * * 4 votes

• Please log in to reply
1189 replies to this topic

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
Well, I do have my own quality guide that I try to stick to. I mean, if you think about it I created H3 Blues in a much shorter time as I had more free time to put into it. I also didn't have to design anything in a specific way, where as with this new ROM I'm forced to make everything look holo themed. So if you look at something as simple as the lockscreen you'll see I've put a lot of work into that. However, the messaging application is different to Jelly Bean's, yet I've themed it in such a way that looks natural. Then if you look at the keyboard I could of easily used a themed version of the standard Gingerbread keyboard, but instead I've found an OEM version of Swype and have made that look as close as possible to Jelly Beans. That adds not just beauty but functionality, and that to me is important.

I want to push myself to do more, yet I also want to take a relaxed approach as this probably will be my final ROM for the Skate.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png
If you like my ROM's then please consider a donation. A lot of time and effort went into them. Thank you.

My blog website: codeshed.co.uk

Redstarr1

Redstarr1

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Devices:Xperia S, ZTE Skate

Well, I do have my own quality guide that I try to stick to. I mean, if you think about it I created H3 Blues in a much shorter time as I had more free time to put into it. I also didn't have to design anything in a specific way, where as with this new ROM I'm forced to make everything look holo themed. So if you look at something as simple as the lockscreen you'll see I've put a lot of work into that. However, the messaging application is different to Jelly Bean's, yet I've themed it in such a way that looks natural. Then if you look at the keyboard I could of easily used a themed version of the standard Gingerbread keyboard, but instead I've found an OEM version of Swype and have made that look as close as possible to Jelly Beans. That adds not just beauty but functionality, and that to me is important.

I want to push myself to do more, yet I also want to take a relaxed approach as this probably will be my final ROM for the Skate.

I recognize that perfectionism from my own work, I don't want others to see any of my development either unless it's 100% finished (Labview applications that is, nothing Android related). But that can be a very paralyzing attitude, you can never discover all bugs by beta testing on your own. I once lost weeks of work because of issues like that. Even if you'd reach that point where you're satisfied and you release, 100 people will use it in 99 ways that you didn't foresee. Some bugs will still be there, some icon forgotten, etc. Users at this forum know that roms are never finished, in fact they seem to even crave updates (even if a rom is "perfect", like CM10.1 supporting nearly everything possible of the original and still people want more). Just know that people here would be fine with having an unfinished version to play around with while you finish the rest.

I don't want to push you to release an unfinished version of your work, you take all the time you need. It's a hobby anyway, you do this for yourself in the first place.

EDIT: I also have a suggestion about the e-mail app. Since you don't use it, maybe you could just include an existing app and save yourself the effort? Not warez but a free one and ask the dev. There's a Google+ group for Holo apps: https://plus.google....996671697454680, since you aim for a Holo look in your rom.
I thought this mail app looks quite Holo: https://play.google....roid&feature=md. It's not exactly the ICS/JB app, but frankly Google doesn't even comply to Holo in a lot of their own apps. So if you want continuity, better a non-Google Holo app than a Google app that doesn't even follow their own guidelines, right?

Edited by Redstarr1, 11 May 2013 - 07:51 PM.

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
I agree that testing on your own can make it much harder to discover all bugs, but I'm using H3 Blues as my base ROM so all major bugs have been addressed already. So for me it's just a matter of making things look right, and that can be difficult and very time consuming. What I do end up doing though is getting it to the point where I'm happy to show off parts of it to people and then I'll ask for opinions, especially for things like the messaging application as that's different to Jelly Beans.

The main reason I've not released the ROM in it's current state is because I don't have the time to work on issues people may report. So if they say some icons are wrong then they may expect me to fix them pretty quickly, but I won't be able to. So at the moment while nobody but me has the ROM there's less pressure and I can work on it at my own speed.

I was thinking about replacing the email application by the way, but noticed that MailDroid has adverts. Every other email application looks a little dated too, so I'll probably end up modifying the stock one. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's appreciated.

Edited by H3ROS, 11 May 2013 - 08:39 PM.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png
If you like my ROM's then please consider a donation. A lot of time and effort went into them. Thank you.

Redstarr1

Redstarr1

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Devices:Xperia S, ZTE Skate

I agree that testing on your own can make it much harder to discover all bugs, but I'm using H3 Blues as my base ROM so all major bugs have been addressed already. So for me it's just a matter of making things look right, and that can be difficult and very time consuming. What I do end up doing though is getting it to the point where I'm happy to show off parts of it to people and then I'll ask for opinions, especially for things like the messaging application as that's different to Jelly Beans.

The main reason I've not released the ROM in it's current state is because I don't have the time to work on issues people may report. So if they say some icons are wrong then they may expect me to fix them pretty quickly, but I won't be able to. So at the moment while nobody but me has the ROM there's less pressure and I can work on it at my own speed.

I was thinking about replacing the email application by the way, but noticed that MailDroid has adverts. Every other email application looks a little dated too, so I'll probably end up modifying the stock one. Thanks for the suggestion though, it's appreciated.

I only looked at some screenies of MailDroid, you're right, it's ad-supported. Too bad. I was already wondering what the difference was with the paid (and hugely expensive) version. I use Gmail myself, so I don't know of any other mail apps aside from K9 mail (I installed that one on my girlfriend's phone), but that is one of the worst looking apps .. ever.

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
Agreed. I'm a gmail guy myself so never bother touching the other email applications. Many of them seem to receive updates, but none of them seem to want to take the risk and change the UI. It's a shame.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

Paun21

Paun21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Devices:Zte Skate
H3ROS can u make fm radio whit rds?

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
The current radio should have working RDS if you want to get stuff like the channel name. Having said that though the MIUI radio mod found in H3 Blues and some other ROM's isn't all that great and seems kind of buggy. It has a lot of junk code, adjusting the radio volume seems to be out of place as it's not done via the hardware buttons and it doesn't seem to always list the station information.

Does anyone know if the stock ROM's radio supports RDS?

Also a question more targeted towards the devs, but has anyone noticed that with clockworkmod v4.0.1.4 it can't seem to write to data/data/ ? I've seen other updater scripts that are able to format data and then write to data/data, so it seems possible.

Update: I created a solution for the problem :)

Edited by H3ROS, 14 May 2013 - 05:04 PM.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

kidbetin

kidbetin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Devices:zte skate
eagerly awaiting.....
just want a working flash annd camera with JB Ui,

Thanks for the upcoming update

poludeli_kaktus

poludeli_kaktus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Devices:Medion Life P4310, LG L9
  • Twitter:@poludeli_kaktus
Nice & smooth. I like it. Is possible vibrate in dialer?

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
You mean when pressing numbers? I don't think so.

There's options there to enable haptic feedback, and vibrate is set to always, but it doesn't actually do anything for the keys. I'm not sure if that's a bug as the dialer was taken from CM7 or if it's the intended behaviour and something else is supposed to vibrate. I'll look into it shortly either way :)

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

poludeli_kaktus

poludeli_kaktus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

You mean when pressing numbers? I don't think so.

There's options there to enable haptic feedback, and vibrate is set to always, but it doesn't actually do anything for the keys. I'm not sure if that's a bug as the dialer was taken from CM7 or if it's the intended behaviour and something else is supposed to vibrate. I'll look into it shortly either way :)

yeap, while pressing numbers :) but beside that rom is very nice and optimised, i`m using it @ factory cpu settings on smartass h3. and i notice this maybe it is bug maybe some on my phone but when somebody call me sometimes my phone stuck on answer call screen, touchscreen is not responsive until i turn off/on screen with power button, beside that touchscreen is work normaly. maybe is something on my phone, i use medion life p4310

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
Can't say I've ever had that issue. Have you tried to recalibrate the screen to see if that helps? The options in the H3 Blues settings.

When I've finished my next ROM I'm probably going to give H3 Blues one more update, just to apply some of the same optimization's I've put into my new ROM as I've found some improvements that could be made.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

poludeli_kaktus

poludeli_kaktus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
prox sensor working very good on call if you mean on that

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
Yeah, I just thought maybe if you were to redo that it'd help. It's just the sensor detects if you've got it covered, and if you do then it won't respond to touch events.

I don't suppose you've got your phone in a case and it's slightly covering the right plastic area next to the metal grill at the top of the phone? If you don't then I could only guess it's either a kernel issue or that the Orange UK firmware that this ROM's based off of doesn't fully work with the Medion. I don't know why it wouldn't though as nobody else has reported such an issue.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

poludeli_kaktus

poludeli_kaktus

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Yeah, I just thought maybe if you were to redo that it'd help. It's just the sensor detects if you've got it covered, and if you do then it won't respond to touch events.

I don't suppose you've got your phone in a case and it's slightly covering the right plastic area next to the metal grill at the top of the phone? If you don't then I could only guess it's either a kernel issue or that the Orange UK firmware that this ROM's based off of doesn't fully work with the Medion. I don't know why it wouldn't though as nobody else has reported such an issue.

i have protective case but it is not covering speaker with sensors. but you know what i have that issue with stock rom on s2 kernel before install h3. it is not relly big bug, happening time to time and i can live with it :) sometimes is annoying but... :) who gives a damn

if you have one more upadate pls include medion in support :) i have stock medion aldi rom if you need for that

Edited by poludeli_kaktus, 16 May 2013 - 09:24 PM.

mi nombre

mi nombre

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Devices:Zte Skate, Huawei u8110
Any advance with the new rom?

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

i have that issue with stock rom on s2 kernel before install h3. it is not relly big bug, happening time to time and i can live with it :)

I'm glad it's not just an issue with this ROM then. Maybe it could be fixed if there was some logcat information though.

@ mi nombre
Nothing major. I'm currently waiting for a new battery to be delivered so that I can better test performance against battery usage.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

maharzzz

maharzzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I like this rom so much but how to add more space on internal storage?

kidbetin

kidbetin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Devices:zte skate
camera and flash as per ics or jb?

H3ROS

H3ROS

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
@ maharzzz
You can format your SD card to add a second partition and then use Link2SD, or you can try using scripts such as INT2EXTV2+ or Nitroglass.

@ kidbetin
The radio, camera flash, Orange UK signal boost, WiFi, tethering, bluetooth etc. Everything works.

Edited by H3ROS, 20 May 2013 - 03:20 PM.

BNqXLPC.pnghIMMF2y.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users