ZTE Kis / Orange Dublin

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404

So I asked my contact why the hell Orange where putting out a PAYG android device that was of worse spec than the current preferred handset (the SF2).

Apparently this is the start of Orange's NFC offering, its going to be the first own brand 'affordable' device that you can use for contact-less payments...

You'd of thought they could of come up with something a little better, spec wise. but hey.. at least there is SOME reason to it

Guest Sebastian404

Orange do have some Orange NFC pre-pay credit card thing that you can use, I think you can transfer money from it to your phone balance and visa versa.

I'm sure I read something about a partnership they had going with Barclay where they had some sticker with the NFC you put on the back of your device..

I assume this is just part of that whole thing

• 1 month later...
Guest archish

I saw this last week. I had bought sf for 69chf 2 months back on clearance sale. Going by the specs it looked crappier than sf. Maybe proccy and nfc is a plus but hey its armv6 which is almost a dead platform now. All this made me love my SF more for the price i got.....lol

But seriously sometimes I really wonder how many armv6 proccy did Zte buy.

Guest Sebastian404

I really dont understand why they did not just bung NFC into the Blade2, maybe bump up the memory or CPU and call it Blade3 and have done with it..

But then again, ZTE make this stuff to show to the carriers and for whatever reason some carriers have said they wanted them, so someone somewhere must think theres a market for the thing.

I wonder if it is an Orange.ch exclusive.. do they have the blade2? its hard to keep track

Guest archish

No blade2 on orange ch. UK always had more options like sf2 and mc. I guess this is one of the phone which didn't make to UK site yet.

Guest hecatae

I wonder if it is an Orange.ch exclusive.. do they have the blade2? its hard to keep track

Virgin Media have got the Exclusive for the Kis in the UK, by the way, this thread made it to the front page:

Guest Sebastian404

well till someone gets one and we can start the experiment who knows..

Its possible that it might be unlock-able as the more recent ZTE devices.

Guest Sebastian404

Well as I seem to keep finding myself saying, its a nice little device, the lip on the front reminds me very much of the G1.

The Camera is not THAT bad for a 3M one, and it seems nippy enough..

but oh god, Virgin have done a worse job on branding this phone than Orange ever used to, its just horrible.. The Icons have all been replaced, there are not THAT many bundled apps I guess... the lock screen has some monstrocity that looks like ICS's but actually has 'long press to continue' around it.

at 50GBP tho, its probably the best Android device your going to get in that bottom price range

Guest hecatae

So Sebastian404 will you be producing a custom rom, have you found kernel source yet, what's performance like, and how long does the battery last?

Guest Sebastian404

So Sebastian404 will you be producing a custom rom, have you found kernel source yet, what's performance like, and how long does the battery last?

Suffering from yet another cold (or maybe the last one back for another go), so I've not really had much chance to play, but they have done a really crappy job of customizing it, the graphical style makes it look like one of those cheap iphone knock offs.

Its nice and fast for what it does, I charged it up last week in London, and put it back in the box to bring it home, its still got 50% charge after beening on for a week (tho with no SIM or Wifi) so its standby time seems awesome :)

Guest Sebastian404

It does seem the same, but it has physical keys rather than capacitive ones, I'll go find a Virigin store and check it out next time I'm down town.

I mentioned it on twitter, but Turkcell Maxi Plus 5 has the same part number as the Roamer2/Kis, but its board is called 'nice'....

Guest JUNIER-SANCHEZ

Hey everyone I'm new to modaco, I recently have bought the Zte Kis from virgin, for the price its a decent device, the build quality is pretty good sturdy little device, I had the Monte Carlo & t-mob Vivacity & I find the screen responsiveness lil smoother even though the resolution ain't up to par its amazing for a budget phone, BBC Iplayer works perfectly with non lag also flash videos online but ocassionally the browser closes when.trying a really flash heavy site, battery life is amazing since friday I ain't charged it & its still going after loads of browsing, calls, games etc.. I would love to root this device & get recovery i would appreciate if someone can help me, I tried superoneclick but it didn't work, for the moment I just would like to root to remove the virgin apps, but it would be nice to see a rom if its possible toport a rom from 1 of the other zte devices to this, I would be willing to donate to developer's, I got the holo ics laucher installed which makes it smoother also the jellybean keyboard so easy to type, thank u in advance any help would be appreciated. J

Guest oggerz

Managed to brick mine already, 1st time build...

I can't get it to boot and the stock recovery doesnt think that ZTE's update is signed..

http://wwwen.zte.com...43591238052.zip

I don't suppose anyones able to make a FTM mode flashable stock rom for the Virgin KIS ?

Yeah mine wont update, doesn't like the e signature :(

Will be nice when root is available to get rid of the virgin rubbish :)