ZTE Kis / Orange Dublin

Guest Sebastian404

Guest grim3271

Sebastian404

I did all the steps to install the recovery mod :/

But i get stuck at waiting for device point. the device gets stuck at the starting logo and i must remove the battery to to start the phone.. and then it is waiting for the device for a few hours with the stuck thing or with out it!

gimmie close instructions please? what to do with that? my drivers are 99.99 percent fine?

And is root able??

i mean can i root it to remove all that crappy useless garbage?? also do ya mind if ya send me your driver? or windows OS drivers for this phone?? mine are named froyo :/ while my device is ginger bread..

But still ADB detects my device.. but the waiting for device crappy thing.

Also can this thing run ICS

Can it run jelly bean too?

can i get the real theme of ginger? not the one that came with it? Thanks :o

*ZTE NİCE - TURKCELL MAXİ PLUS 5*

*SYSTEM*

Model: Turkcell Maxi Plus 5

Manufacturer: ZTE

Device: Nice

Product: P752T

Brand: ZTE

Firmware: 4.0.4

API Level: 15

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)

System RAM: 410 MB

It has kernel 3.0.8

I can flash recovery file with fastboot with no errors.

But when i try to open recovery mode, Turkcell Brand logo is coming and just waiting like that.

Its original recovery was like that : Android Recovery (e3)

Guest Sebastian404

The ZTE Kis has a model number of P752E, thats normally a sign its the same device only with a different radio hardware... but in this case seems not.

I'll have a look at the 3.0.8 kernel source that came out , see if I can build a version for the KIS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest hecatae

Does anyone have the virgin mobile stock rom for the zte kis please? The only possible link I could find was dead on the podtwo blog site. :(

http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/UK/UK_Instruction/201210/P020121025331046955412.zip'>http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/UK/UK_Instruction/201210/P020121025331046955412.zip < this found here http://wwwen.zte.com.cn/endata/mobile/UK/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest usb3diva

So, To 'root' your ZTE KIS (Virgin)/Orange Dublin/ maybe ROAMER 2...

by Installing the required more flexible (ClockWorkMod based) Recovery first...

EDIT: I did a restore of my phones stock backup and completely forgot that it unrooted and brought back the original recovery. BLEH!!! lol

Brief instructions first...

D/l + install Android SDK or whatever is required to use adb.exe/fastboot.exe from the command line

D/l 'recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5s-roamer2.img' to C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

D/l rooting stuff (Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip) from http://downloads.nos...-arm-signed.zip http://androidsu.com/superuser/

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot devices

fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5s-roamer2.img

as per instructions from another website regarding a similar model, do the last command a few times

fastboot reboot IMMEDIATELY press VOLUME UP button on your handset

Handset should reboot into the orange recovery screen :D, hopefully not the one with blue text :(

Now use the orange recovery menu...

Backup...

You really SHOULD do a nandroid backup by selecting 'backup and restore' 6th option

then select 'Backup' 1st option, wait a minute or two for backup to complete.

To root...

Select 'install zip from sdcard' 5th option down.

then 'choose zip from sdcard' 1st Option.

now navigate to and select the 'Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip' file

I have a feeling you have to install the custom ROM a few steps below, in order for the custom recovery to stay put.

Now Detailed instructions for some steps above...

So to clarify for you folks to install the clockwork recovery which you have to do BEFORE rooting...

### Install Android SDK, or whatever you need in order to get 'adb' and 'fastboot' commands working

#1#

###

### Download the recovery image "recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5s-roamer2.img" from...

#2# here: http://android.podtwo.com/recovery/ (bit slow sometimes)

### or: https://www.dropbox.....5s-roamer2.img

and Download the rooting stuff (Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip) from http://downloads.nos...-arm-signed.zip http://androidsu.com/superuser/

This needs to be placed in the root of the sdcard in your phone

From a command line (Windows for this example)

type whatever you need to change to the folder containing both fastboot.exe and adb.exe ....

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\"

Now looking like the following...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>prompt C:$G

so it will now look tidy like this... you only need to type the 'prompt C:$G' bit in for tidy reasons

C:>

### Then...

#3#

###

C:>adb reboot bootloader

>* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

>* daemon started successfully *

C:>fastboot devices

>ROAMER2 fastboot

C:>fastboot flash recovery C:\recovery-clockwork-4.0.1.5s-roamer2.img

>sending 'recovery' (8544 KB)...

>OKAY [ 2.139s]

>writing 'recovery'...

>OKAY [ 1.703s]

>finished. total time: 3.851s

### On the computer keyboard press the up arrow or F3 key and do the above command 1 or 2 more times

#4#

###

### Now get ready to press the VOLUME UP button on your handset

#5#

### and enter...

C:>fastboot reboot

Handset should reboot into the orange recovery screen :D, hopefully not the one with blue text :(

I hope to get on to the bit for rooting the device for you soon, if you want it sooner let me know, links are on the sd card in the phone.

I've tried to give a bit more detail in this post since the phone is a low-cost entry-level model and the likely owners will be noobs, or like ME I read the specs and were fooled into thinking they were actually going to get 512mb RAM on a device for under £60! Well it's been a learning curve, in some ways it's easier to root than Samsung, but with Samsung i can do it without ever going near a PC. htc desire S (CDMA) bigger pain.

IMPORTANT: At this point you really should go into the recovery menu and do a backup IMMEDIATELY!

Do not delete as it can prove very useful, buy a high speed 32gb microsd card for around £20.

RESTORE ADVICE: If restoring it will pretty much unroot your device as it did mine, UNLESS you do an ADVANCED RESTORE, and ONLY restore System, Data, Cache, Restoring the Recovery.img is what will overwrite the orange recovery menu, and replace it with the crippled blue recovery that came with the phone.

#####

#End# P.S. And as for Network Unlocking the phone with a subsidy pin or whatever, i've no idea yet.

##### Virgin appears not to be able to get hold of the codes.

AS I DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT! OTT details for clarity...

### IMPORTANT ###

# be careful where you click when formatting

# do NOT format /sdcard (of course) do Nandroid Backup first too, also consider SMS Backup and Restore (APK) conctacts,

# backups of your other apps in case you can't find later on.

###

--Wiping cache...

Formatting /cache...

Cache wipe complete.

Formatting /cache...

Done.

Formatting /system...

Done.

Formatting /data...

Done.

trying some roamer2 de-branded firmware r0

says @sebastian404, god damn, now you help me! i bet this is where i brick the phone

>--Installing: /sdcard/r0_de-branded_roamer2-update-signed.zip

>Finding update package...

>Opening update package...

>Installing update...

>ZTE Kis/roamer2

>de-branded firmware r0

>@sebastian404

>Wiping data/factory partition...

>Writing boot partition...

>Writing splash partition...

>Writing system partition...

>Writing Virgin on suicide partition...

>All done.

>Install from sdcard complete.

press back

press back

Click reboot system now

NOW FOR THE REBOOT:

Green Android Splash image Loads up, flickers a little bit, then Red LED turns off, stays on a basic android(fancy text) bootanimation for ages

, then it actually boots up fine. :D i really hate Virgin/ZTE for making this such a pain compared to other manufacturers, i will think ten times before going with ZTE/Virgin again!!!!!!!!!! i'm even considering cuting off all my virgin services after all this. lol

The mostly useless stock recovery screen output...

########################

Android system recovery (3e)

Android system recovery utility

reboot system now

apply update from sdcard

wipe data/factory reset

wipe cache partition

########################

Edited by usb3diva

Guest usb3diva

There's a few things I don't really like about the de-branded ROM, I like the look of the launcher but I can't work out how to remove the multiple desktop screens.

I prefer holo launcher, it's more customisable from what I can see so far, and I can backup/restore the settings too.

Great effort though Sebastian (Thanks), it got me over the next part of my mission which was to ROOT the ZTE KIS.

Edited by usb3diva

Guest the182nd

Please, somebody help me!

I changed my ROM to the general 2.3.6 which I had downloaded from ZTE's official site. It worked well but I still could not unlock it. Then it turned out if I install the original ROM, then the phone can be unlocked with Furious-Gold.

So I thought I just start CWM and reinstall the ROM. Of course when I installed the general firmware, it reinstalled the recovery, so I had e3 recovery. It was kind of a problem because of turning off the script asserts. I could not manage to install CWM via command prompt (it told me it was installed but it still started e3). Never mind, I found a way to temporarily run CWM.

I succesfully installed my Virign-branded ROM with the temporary CWM, BUT: when I start the phone, it freezes at the ZTE logo.

What can I do with that? With e3 I cannot install any ROMs and ZTE's online updater tool (which works with FTM mode) says that there's no newer software for my device.

I have tried to wipe my phone, unsuccesfully. I have moved from the UK since then, but if it's the only option, I will send it back to Virgin for a software update.

Can you guys tell me something wise? :)

Thank you so much!

Guest usb3diva

## Does any of this help your situation... http://www.modaco.com/topic/349541-faq-rooting-for-beginners-updated-26-02-12/ ##

Let me know if it does. Check Part 9 of that link.

Please, somebody help me!

I changed my ROM to the general 2.3.6 which I had downloaded from ZTE's official site. It worked well but I still could not unlock it. Then it turned out if I install the original ROM, then the phone can be unlocked with Furious-Gold.

So I thought I just start CWM and reinstall the ROM. Of course when I installed the general firmware, it reinstalled the recovery, so I had e3 recovery. It was kind of a problem because of turning off the script asserts. I could not manage to install CWM via command prompt (it told me it was installed but it still started e3). Never mind, I found a way to temporarily run CWM.

I succesfully installed my Virign-branded ROM with the temporary CWM, BUT: when I start the phone, it freezes at the ZTE logo.

What can I do with that? With e3 I cannot install any ROMs and ZTE's online updater tool (which works with FTM mode) says that there's no newer software for my device.

I have tried to wipe my phone, unsuccesfully. I have moved from the UK since then, but if it's the only option, I will send it back to Virgin for a software update.

Can you guys tell me something wise? :)

Thank you so much!

After i first bought my Virgin ZTE KIS i downloaded the latest ROM/firmware or whatever you call it from zte's website, and i'm pretty sure i did it by placing it in the root of my sdcard, and via e3, since it's an offical ROM and signed, that should be possible for you yea?

Actually i could be wrong on that, maybe i did do it via the menu, obviously i wont be trying it now as i don't want to wipe what i'm working on.

I'd be interested to see what you have on doing stuff via the FTM mode, and unlocking it, since it seams virgin are useless at providing the unlocking codes at the moment. :( and probably forever, this is probably on purpose, all it takes is the right member of staff at Virgin to contact the right department at ZTE. That is a bit of an ask from big multinational companies nowadays i know.

Edited by usb3diva

Guest usb3diva

Network/SIM Unlocking Question regarding ZTE KIS (Virgin) / Roamer etc, i'm assuming they're very similar...

Is there anyone up for trying to work out how to unlock the ZTE KIS, friends have this phone too, but after reading about problems unlocking direct from Virgin so we are all stuck, i'm not bothered so much as i've got Virgin's other services so i get all i could ever need on mobile data/texts/calls for less than £8 a month (basically half price).

Anything i've found online is full of broken links and not specific to our handsets, i would guess it's a pretty similar procedure.

Would appreciate the help, modaco appears to be the most clear cut website/forum for handset problems i've seen so far. though the anti-spam time between searches is a bit high, meaning it's very long winded doing search on here before asking. Thanks

Guest usb3diva

Ok, regarding the splash.img update, i did a simple modification of the immediate splash image to replace the Green Android after power on (ZTE KIS), that changed perfectly fine, but it still corrupts the battery charging animations.

I did a factory reflash from the blue (e3) to prove to myself that i can get myself out of a pickle in the event of a soft-brick where access to Android desktop via fastboot/adb would be impossible. This also helped to to work out at which point of my process the battery animation got corrupted. and this time very early on.

From what i can tell, the only file involved in the splash image change was 'splash.img' but i thought that was just a flipped image created in GIMP with a few advanced tweaks upon saving.

Now i'm thinking, maybe there's a bit more to the splash.img.

Luckily this time, the corruption is only a white partly chopped up image within a small square the same size as the original battery.

What else has to be done to splash.img to be correct.

Now i think i'm going to have to do another factory reflash, and work out how to pull the original splash.img :D

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Lost_Animal

HELP

Where i can find the correct ZTE Firmware FLasher for P752T (AKA ZTE black Ice for WIND - Greece or Turkcell Maxi Plus 5) ???

I semi bricked my phone...

I have broken recovery and System..

I can ONLY boot and set the Phone on Download mode for Firmware flash but with USDL_P726CV1.00.00 (Blade FW Flasher) i can't do nothing.

I have the wrong image files and armprgZTE.bin and can't proceed to recover the recovery partition.

Tried also the QPST from Qualcom but no luck also.

I need the correct mbn files....

OMG ... first time i make too mane mistakes the same time and bricked my phone.

At least the Boot image working and i have download mode on the phone active....

C:>adb reboot bootloader

>* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *

>* daemon started successfully *

C:>fastboot devices

>ROAMER2 fastboot

Hi usb3diva, what drivers did you download to get this to work... as my attempt with the zte usb drivers borks at the "adb reboot bootloader" point, nothing happens and no fastboot devices are listed when i type the next command.

"adb devices" shows my phone up before then ok, and then after the adb reboot bootloader point (as someone else noted) the usb driver for adb disappears as well and I have to restart my phone by flicking the battery out and back in... sebastian above suggested separate fastboot drivers may be needed, so, while I'm waiting for santa. I'd thought I'd ask what drivers you used and where you got them :-)

Edit: Yaaargh. Found a guide that mentioned installing fastboot drivers. ALL the blurb I find points to the ZTE windows driver package which I have as the ones to use. I switch on my phone in bootloader mode, attach the USB cable and my windows xp device manager picks up the phone as a disk drive - "ZTE Mass Storage USB Device" rather than the "Others- Android 1.0" device the guide says will happen. Trying to reinstall the device with different drivers (the zte ones) doesn't work, do it automatically and it says it can't find a better match, picking the zte drivers by hand just says the .inf file doesn't contain information about my hardware - uninstall the device and it gets re-recognised as a disk drive again.... Total dead end.

i have heard something about adding product/vendor ids to drivers to kid them into thinking its ok to run, so I might give that a try next... but still, am I going wrong somewhere to get to this stage? errr... help? :-) -

Edited by orfc

• 1 month later...
Guest mrfricks

hi sebastian404

i'm new to android, the zte kis being my first smart phone. i quite like the phone, but its tiny internal storage is quite challenging.

i followed your instructions and successfully rooted it and installed your debranded rom. it was a doddle on linux, thankyou.

this phone though is crying out for a super stripped rom, so is it possible to strip your rom even further, removing everything but the bare essentials?

i did have a go at manually editing the rom, but it didn't work. there's obviously more to it than unzipping and rezipping it with peazip :)

anyway thanks again

EDIT: discovered the Android kitchen for linux so can now edit roms .... just need a list now on what i can remove

Edited by mrfricks

• 3 months later...
Guest semaca40

to Sebastian404!!!!!!! Hello!

I have a zte kis plus (cosmote smart play), I have rooted the device and after that I installed a custom rom "r0_de-branded_roamer2-update-signed.zip". I would like to come back the default rom (the official one from cosmote smart play) and I have failed, please help me!!!!! :). I have tried all the official updates and the ones from zte official site and from other web pages and after that my phone indicates that now the model is zte kis and not zte kis plus. And after all these updates I can't start up the phone in FTM mode.

I want a link with the official rom and a way to install it from zero (a clean install) and a software and a way of doing it (like odin for Samsung phones).

thank you!

• 4 months later...
Guest DONTKNOWMUCH261

I have a ZTE KIS and i would like too root it is it possible to do this on the phone its sef or do you need a computer aswell could someone get back to me with the links to get the downloads to root. I got it from virgin and there is too much bloatware and would lile to get rid off it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest usb3diva

Hi usb3diva, what drivers did you download to get this to work... as my attempt with the zte usb drivers borks at the "adb reboot bootloader" point, nothing happens and no fastboot devices are listed when i type the next command.

"adb devices" shows my phone up before then ok, and then after the adb reboot bootloader point (as someone else noted) the usb driver for adb disappears as well and I have to restart my phone by flicking the battery out and back in... sebastian above suggested separate fastboot drivers may be needed, so, while I'm waiting for santa. I'd thought I'd ask what drivers you used and where you got them :-)

Edit: Yaaargh. Found a guide that mentioned installing fastboot drivers. ALL the blurb I find points to the ZTE windows driver package which I have as the ones to use. I switch on my phone in bootloader mode, attach the USB cable and my windows xp device manager picks up the phone as a disk drive - "ZTE Mass Storage USB Device" rather than the "Others- Android 1.0" device the guide says will happen. Trying to reinstall the device with different drivers (the zte ones) doesn't work, do it automatically and it says it can't find a better match, picking the zte drivers by hand just says the .inf file doesn't contain information about my hardware - uninstall the device and it gets re-recognised as a disk drive again.... Total dead end.

i have heard something about adding product/vendor ids to drivers to kid them into thinking its ok to run, so I might give that a try next... but still, am I going wrong somewhere to get to this stage? errr... help? :-) -

sorry I've only just read this, a lots happened this year, I can't remember It being that hard to do the drivers, it might be because I had the htc drivers installed before, I was using W7 at the time. I only started rooting July 2012, after just getting my first Android a few weeks earlier, I must say I think ZTE KIS is the easiest and most straight forward to root, htc required extra steps, Samsung was reasonably easy. But ZTE KIS appears much of a cleaner root, My Samsung Galaxy Ace Plus shows a warning sign on a rooted phone, on ZTE it doesn't have to show anything different apart from superuser. I also worked out how to change ALL the boot screens on the ZTE KIS, although I could never get the boot sound to turn on, I usually hate boot sounds+animations, but I wanted to make a fully customised phone for my friends son. :( A friend is getting a 2nd hand ZTE KIS from ebay, i might try rooting that one and get back to this forum.

Guest usb3diva

I have a ZTE KIS and i would like too root it is it possible to do this on the phone its sef or do you need a computer aswell could someone get back to me with the links to get the downloads to root. I got it from virgin and there is too much bloatware and would lile to get rid off it.

You need to root it with the computer, if your computer is in good working order, the instruction within this thread should be enough, I did it a year ago now so i wont be able to help too soon on it.

And I'm afraid all the good apps at the time that I bought the ZTE Kis are now even bigger downloads, and I can't get them all to install anymore, the internal memory on the ZTE Kis is piss poor, Virgin's literature stated 512mb RAM or something, it's actually 512mb ROM with 256mb RAM, and only around 140mb useable! s*it phone if you want it for a lot of apps, I've managed to get the free Waze satnav working on it after a quick factory reset back to the edited ROM :D

I now have a Samsung S4 Zoom with built in 16m 10x optical zoom camera and IR blaster TV/sat/cable/DVD remote control built in (:

Edited by usb3diva

Guest stuntdouble

All links in this thread appear to be dead and Sebastian404's link gives a permission denied 403 forbidden error. Does anyone still have the custom rom they could share, along with cwm and root files please? The original ZTE rom is no longer on their site, so does anyone have that please in case things go wrong when I flash? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sebastian404

All links in this thread appear to be dead and Sebastian404's link gives a permission denied 403 forbidden error.

It seems my co-location company cant keep a host up for more than a week, for some reason the file system went Read Only, I've deployed harsh language and its back now...

Guest stuntdouble

That's great. Thank you. Hope you didn't make them suffer too much. :D

The stock rom link seems to be dead, but then it doesn't seem to be available anywhere on the manufacturers site either.

Edited by stuntdouble

Guest stuntdouble

Just a quick message to say I had the 'waiting for device' message as a few others had earlier in the thread, and if you get this message you need to install the fastboot drivers via Google's 'Android SDK Manager'. Install the 'google usb driver' section and they are included in that.