Photo

MCR - MoDaCo.one for the HTC One X Tegra 3 (Sense + Vanilla) - NEW: more Vanilla, TeamViewer QS + more

* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

a2b

a2b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Devices:HOX

So let me get this completely straight, as installing the ROM on the OneX doesn't seem as straightforward as it always used to on the Desire:

1) You need to have unlocked the device through HTCDev

2) Once unlocked, you need to install ROMManager and ClockworkModRecovery

3) After CWM Rcovery is installed, you need to flash the SU apk

4) You then need to fastboot into the boot img included with the MCR download

5) From that boot img, you then 'install from zip' the MCR ROM

Is that basically correct? Don't you need root already to be able to get ROM Manager to install CWM?

Been a long time since I had to fiddle with an Android phone, so I'm very murky on the process - especially as the Desire was unlocked already, and could be rooted et al with a one-click process, which made things substantially easier.

I am desperate to get rid of the terrible, old, O2-branded software off my shiny new toy!

I'm not sure you can get rid of O2 branding and locking on their network.

If you can (I don't know), then the process is basically
1) unlock bootloader : head to htcdev site

2) install recovery : some help here on part B

3) install the MCR : very same as here but with the MCR ROM

4) final step, ensure your can enter recovery from the bootloader : part H) and then part G) if you can't enter the recovery

Edited by a2b, 25 May 2012 - 12:09 PM.

carthesis

carthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X (stock O2)

I'm not sure you can get rid of O2 branding and locking on their network.

Not trying to get rid of the network lock - I'm on O2 and am happy to stay with them. I only want to de-brand the handset of the O2 specific software build. Much easier once you have fiddled with the bootloader!

a2b

a2b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Not trying to get rid of the network lock - I'm on O2 and am happy to stay with them. I only want to de-brand the handset of the O2 specific software build. Much easier once you have fiddled with the bootloader!

I should have been more specific : you have to ensure that you can flash the ROM provided here on a branded phone and that it won't brick your phone.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,332 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

It's the stock android browser as far as I can tell. I noticed the same crash during initial setup, and once after on vanilla. It hasn't happened since though.

--Matt

Noted, i'll check it out! :)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,332 posts
I've just updated the Locations APK in the kitchen which resolves the crash when launching from the Car app. I will shortly update the prebake, and also re-do the vanilla pre-bake to use the Sense lockscreen (as that seems to be the general preference until such time as I can pull in the stock dialler also!)

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

carthesis

carthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Anyone else had issues with Friendstream - I kept it installed so that the contact pictures would correctly link, but it seems to be having difficulty. When I try to open Friendstream, it tells me I'm not connected to any networks, and do I want to? You hit 'Yes', then nothing happens. No login, no account settings, nothing.

Thoughts?

It's something of a pain in the backside, as now the People app isn't suggesting contact links. This is bothersome.

Edited by carthesis, 25 May 2012 - 08:14 PM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,332 posts

Anyone else had issues with Friendstream - I kept it installed so that the contact pictures would correctly link, but it seems to be having difficulty. When I try to open Friendstream, it tells me I'm not connected to any networks, and do I want to? You hit 'Yes', then nothing happens. No login, no account settings, nothing.

Thoughts?

It's something of a pain in the backside, as now the People app isn't suggesting contact links. This is bothersome.

I wonder if this is related to updating the Twitter and Facebook apps.

I cannot add account types of Twitter for Friendstream or Facebook for Friendstream so it's a problem I can replicate, I'll check it out!

P

Posted Image

carthesis

carthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

I wonder if this is related to updating the Twitter and Facebook apps.

I cannot add account types of Twitter for Friendstream or Facebook for Friendstream so it's a problem I can replicate, I'll check it out!

P

Now that's service! This is why I keep using MCRs! Thanks Paul.

Also, I've just tried to change the boot animation from the stock HTC one - I've ADB pushed the new bootanimation.zip to /data/local, but it's not showing up. Not tried pushing it to /system/media yet, but that's where it should have installed to as an update.zip from CWM.

Also, when you next revise the kitchen, it'd be awesome if you could add the option to remove the 'vibrate on startup' that the stock software does.

Other than that, the ROM is everything I've come to expect from your work. Many thanks.

huey-t

huey-t

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X, Motorola RAZR
any luck on debugging the PIN lock issue Paul?

DistortedLoop

DistortedLoop

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Devices:GalaxyNexus, HTC One X, SGS2
  • Twitter:@distortedloop

So let me get this completely straight, as installing the ROM on the OneX doesn't seem as straightforward as it always used to on the Desire:

The only difference with the One X from other phones is that the HTCDev unlock doesn't unlock the boot image for flashing from within custom recovery, so you can do everything with CWM except flash the kernel, which must be fastboot flashed.

Memphizzz

Memphizzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
I've just installed the vanilla rom. But its not completely vanilla is it? Lockscreen, recent apps, etc are HTC.. Is there a rom which is 100% original ICS?

Edited by Memphizzz, 27 May 2012 - 03:17 AM.

a2b

a2b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I've just installed the vanilla rom. But its not completely vanilla is it? Lockscreen, recent apps, etc are HTC.. Is there a rom which is 100% original ICS?

What you're looking for is here, a CM9 based ROM developed independently by TripNDroid / TripNRaVeR.
At this moment, this ROM is in 013, still in development and thus not as rock-solid as Paul's ones. It also lacks the stock app for camera which use the advanced capabilities of the HOX as it is Sense-based. It also lacks the FM radio application, and maybe others too.

Memphizzz

Memphizzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
I had version 12 installed. Its an awesome ROM but its terrible in terms of battery life. If I let the "kitchen" cook a rom for me and uncheck everything from HTC will that create me a real vanilla rom?

Edited by Memphizzz, 27 May 2012 - 12:28 PM.

a2b

a2b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I had version 12 installed. Its an awesome ROM but its terrible in terms of battery life. If I let the "kitchen" cook a rom for me and uncheck everything from HTC will that create me a real vanilla rom?

You'll see some more stock ICS (vanilla) but there still are a lot of Sense stuff.
Give your "kitchen" a try ... nothing to loose

Edited by a2b, 27 May 2012 - 01:21 PM.

carthesis

carthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Hmm. I've noticed a further issue with the MCR on my ONe X - it has suddenly developed an aversion to web-browsing in Dolphin HD over the HSDPA connection, and now simply restarts itself. Not sure if it is happening in the stock browser or not. I'm rebaking an MCR build to reinstall and check - with a bit of luck it'll turn out to be a hitch.

If it has the same problem, i'll bake a DUO ROM and try that and report back.

***EDIT***

OK - rebaked the MCR, and still no joy at convincing the data to work over HSDPA. Trying to watch anything on YouTube just hangs for example. I'm going to go back to the DUO stock ROM for now. Hopefully this'll fix the Friendstream issue too. This time at least, Friendstream would let me log into a Flickr account - the fact I don't have one being only a minor inconvenience :D

***EDIT 2***

Right - the Friendstream issue does seem to be connected to the Facebook app update baked into the ROM, as Paul suspected. Just tried a DUO ROM with the FB app baked in, and Friendstream still isn't playing. Going to now try baking one WITHOUT the FB app and see if that works.

***EDIT 3***

Last edit on this one, I promise.

I've just tried baking an MCR *WITHOUT* the FB app included to test to see if the Friendstream app would then work - it did not. Despite deselecting FB in the Kitchen, it was still installed with the ROM, and the Friendstream app has gone back to not allowing you to log into FB, so no contact information is pulled down.

On that basis, I'm going back to my Nandroid backup from before the MCR went on. I'll be waiting with somewhat bated breath for Paul to fix this problem, as I have every confidence he will, so that I can get some fully-functional MCR-goodness on my phone!

Edited by carthesis, 28 May 2012 - 01:37 PM.

carthesis

carthesis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Paul,

I've done a touch more digging while looking at the Friendstream problem.

Looking in the 'All apps' tabs, it appears as though there may be 2 versions of the 'Friend Stream' app installed.

One is 320kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172631.353543.334711.

One is 104kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172555.339938.331952.

Could the problem be two versions of the app, one of which isn't compatible with the latest update/FB app/whatever? If two versions are running, might this just be 'confusing' the OS?

raph santerre

raph santerre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

To get the more vanilla ROM, here's my kitchen :
- keep all google apps
- remove all HTC apps that are already available from Google
- remove all 3rd party apps (twitter, SoundHound, Dropbox ... ) as they can be downloaded from the market without any Sense customization / integration
- keep hardware related apps from HTC : FM radio, DLNA, SIM Toolkit, ...
- remove all Live Wallpapers but one
- remove all Themes but the HTC (default) and another one
- keep 2 languages in the Input Languages list
- keep Modaco additions
- remove additional application market

There's still some Sense, but vanilla is really here :-D

I've also installed the [MOD|1.26|1.28|1.29] Disable the annoying ICS 3-dot Menu | Aroma **May-05** to remove the anoying menu bar at the bottom of the screen

Edited by raph santerre, 28 May 2012 - 07:35 PM.

huxxxley

huxxxley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:ZTE SKATR
Seem to be stuck in a bootloop, when it boots it forcecloses a lot of things and reboots. Dont understand what i could have done wrong lol

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,332 posts

Paul,

I've done a touch more digging while looking at the Friendstream problem.

Looking in the 'All apps' tabs, it appears as though there may be 2 versions of the 'Friend Stream' app installed.

One is 320kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172631.353543.334711.

One is 104kB in size, and version 4.0.2215172555.339938.331952.

Could the problem be two versions of the app, one of which isn't compatible with the latest update/FB app/whatever? If two versions are running, might this just be 'confusing' the OS?

Hmm, that's weird, there's definitely not two Friendstream installers. Investigating!

Seem to be stuck in a bootloop, when it boots it forcecloses a lot of things and reboots. Dont understand what i could have done wrong lol

No idea! Which ROM did you come from? CM?

P

Posted Image

Barbs80

Barbs80

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X, Advent Vega
  • Twitter:@Barbs80
just flashed the Vanilla rom (no wipe over LeeDroid) - the best shot feature doesn't work on the camera (and clicking the thumbnail to go to gallery does nothing) is this because it is part of sense or a problem because I didn't wipe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users