Do any of the roms allow Flash to run reliably?

Guest swarrans

Guest swarrans

I've tried a number of the roms and I'm currently using Honeyice RC3 with Chimera which i like a lot but iPlayer is either jerky or loses sync badly - much like most of the other roms I've tried.

I think the work the rom developers is doing is fantastic but is this devices hardware up to the job? i assume ICS etc are really designed for faster hardware or more memory, so is this always going to be a problem?

I only really use the Vega for web browsing and watching iplayer and youtube so if an older rom is more able to run them well i might have to downgrade!

simon

Guest mxbob

what makes you think its the rom which is causing these issues? flash itself is well known for being badly optimised for mobile platforms and ive always put these problems down more to the flash app than the rom im running

i also think that iplayer itself has a few issues as i have similar problems to the ones you mention (not so much the jerky stuff but the audio going out of sync which incidently is usually solved by pausing and pressing play again) which i do not have with other flash sites and videos

my best advice to you would be to try different versions of the flash app from memory one of the first tegra optimised ones worked pretty much flawlessly for me (im pretty sure i found it via a link from this forum) and i think the more recent ones have been slightly less reliable

Guest swarrans

Thanks for your reply - perhaps I was jumping to conclusions about the roms, but I do have jerky issues with every site I've tried recently (eg Vimeo is much worse than Youtube). I guess it is true that roms like ICS were designed for tablets with a higher spec than ours though?...(but I guess the phones probably aren't?..)

It seems like it was much better with Paul's Modaco R8 - but as you say perhaps that was because I was using an earlier version of Flash then. Incidentally I did try to to use one of the earlier versions of Flash with the newer roms but I think I got errors when I tried to play Youtube when it forced me to "upgrade" to a newer version. I'll probably try that again to check. Pausing and re-starting doesn't put it back in sync for me btw.

I am using iPlayer through the (Dolphin) browser btw not the app - are you?

Edited by swarrans

Guest Dave Marchant

I have had no problems with Corvus5 with either the iPlayer app or iPlayer in the native browser. I haven't really tried any Flash sites with VegaCream yet, which will be the next ROM I intend to use heavily on the Vega.

Guest danb79

Im using vegacream beta2 test3 and youtube, bbc iplayer, and vimeo all work perfectly using latest flash 11 on stock browser!

Guest swarrans

Im using vegacream beta2 test3 and youtube, bbc iplayer, and vimeo all work perfectly using latest flash 11 on stock browser!

Thanks for that - sounds like i had better upgrade to vegacream!

Guest swarrans

This is very curious - I upgraded to vegacream beta2 (very easy using nvflash btw) but bbc iplayer force closes and my browser freezes often too - do I have sub standard hardware? The only thing I've changed from standard is to make the lcd density 160 ilo 120 as I find it easier to read - I'll go back to 120 and see if that improves performance, otherwise with great regret I think I'll have to go back to Modaco R8