cant download from app store, "not enough space"

Guest kenjo88

Guest kenjo88

as title states im trying to download but they are not letting me. Im running FC7 and have moved all apps to sd card through titanium backup and have (according to a App2sd pro) 180mb free. Anytime recently though when i try to download from store I get a knockback saying "not enough space".

Is it something to do with Dalvik cache?

Any ideas guys???

Cheers for any help...

Guest beng165

Try clearing the cache, it's sometimes a problem for me.

Otherwise you could try using a different app to move your stuff to SD, maybe darktremor a2sd.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.elgubbo.a2sdGUI&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5lbGd1YmJvLmEyc2RHVUkiXQ..

Also move your dalvik cache to the SD card using A2SD, as this frees up lots of space

And if that doesn't work you might have to try reflashing your ROM!

Guest BLu3HaZe

How much does the built in memory manager say you have left? I've had that issue many times as I don't use A2SD and then the amount of apps we can install is very limited

Guest kenjo88

Yeah its a weird one guys. Ive got around 177 mb free according to a2sd (which weirdly enough i was able to download no probs from app store). Ive shifted dalvik to sd and after in the system settings it reads 177mb free on internal,sd-ext free 1mb out of 5mb but the cache/free (total)is 0mb out of 2mb. Now this is after ive cleared the cache using various progs (app2sd etc) The other thing is when i try and put the setting on a2sd for apps to external it keeps going back to internal.

Cheers for your help and ideas so far guys.

Ps Ive been able to download from other sources no probs and going by what ive read on the Google its a common problem (maybe just unique to Google app store?)

Guest irishpancake

Yeah its a weird one guys. Ive got around 177 mb free according to a2sd (which weirdly enough i was able to download no probs from app store). Ive shifted dalvik to sd and after in the system settings it reads 177mb free on internal,sd-ext free 1mb out of 5mb but the cache/free (total)is 0mb out of 2mb. Now this is after ive cleared the cache using various progs (app2sd etc) The other thing is when i try and put the setting on a2sd for apps to external it keeps going back to internal.

Cheers for your help and ideas so far guys.

Ps Ive been able to download from other sources no probs and going by what ive read on the Google its a common problem (maybe just unique to Google app store?)

Man....you need to clarify a number of things.

1. Are you using DT A2SD??....having moved your Dalvik Cache to SD implies you have.

2. When using DT A2SD, you must always install to Internal, as your sd-ext partition is considered to be part of Internal memory, even though it is on your SD card!!

3. You should not use Native GB/Android Apps2SD, when using DT A2SD, as you will be moving Apps from your sd-ext Partition to your normal FAT32 SD Partition on SD.

4. You say in OP you have all moved Apps to SD using TB?? This is absolutely so not right if using DT A2SD!!! [because your sd-ext partition will be where your Apps will live, if you have implemented this properly]

5. If you have an sd-ext showing 1MB free?? out of 5 MB??....are you talking MB or GB here....[cos 1GB(1024MB) would be a fairly usual size of sd-ext Partition]

6. Is you are showing 177/180MB as free Internal Memory, that is about the size of what is available on our Phone!!!

7. Have you understood any of the above? if not, I will attempt to clarify further.

Guest kenjo88

Thanks for getting back to me. initially before i started using darktremor a2sd i was using app2sd and titanium to move apps to sd card because i thought would free up space (which it did certainly but didnt stop this error message from app store).

Now on the help i have received from you guys I started using darktremor and thanks for explaining what it does. I have created an external partition on sd card of 2gb and will not use other programs to shift apps to card now. Cheers for explaining what a2sd chooses which is "internal or external "storage. I didnt realise that!!

To clarify now while using DT a2sd

apps are on internal storage

zipalign is on (right?)

dalvik is on sd-ext

internal memory free now is 239mb out of 278

sd-ext free 1629mb out of 1829 (since i created a 2gb partition)

Still though 0mb free out of 2mb (definetly mb) path is /cache/free........dont know what this is?

Weird that I can download some apps (not many) and ive been able to update a couple as well. should i look on this as more of a problem with the app store than my phone? If anything its been a learning experience with the help of you guys.. :D

Guest irishpancake

2MB /cache....

you must have applied TPT, as Stock Cache is about 60MB??

Perhaps sym-linked to SD??

Anyway...I think you need cache cleaner App...

there are several free on Play/Market..

You can download from alternative Market, like Getjar or SlideME...just Google for links

I think dev JRummey has a free cleaner...

This should clear out any unnecessary stuff hangin around, eating up your precious space!!

Guest kenjo88

Cheers again. Yes i had applied a TPT a while ago. Maybe thats what is causing this prob. I used a cache cleaner from app store (again i was allowed to download that!) and yet i still get an error message at various times. A factory rest and reflash may solve it if nothing else.

Thanks anyhoo.

Guest irishpancake

I don't think reflash or factory reset will fix this problem....

See this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097464

If your Cache Partition is as small as 2MB, your ROM should have a cache redirect built in, see Amphora's post on TPT's, particularly for 2MB Cache size..

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?/topic/349795-San-Francisco-II/T-Mobile-Vivacity-TPTs#entry1866544

These TPTs will repartition the internal memory of your San Francisco II/T-Mobile Vivacity. They will also flash sebastian404's Clockwork recovery.

Your data will be wiped, so backup anything you want to keep before you start. Your sdcard should be unaffected, but backup just in case.

Be aware that depending on the layout you change to, your backup and some roms may not fit. 2MB cache versions will only work properly with a rom that redirects cache.

This could be at the root if your problem...small downloads will be OK, especially after Cache is cleaned, but larger will not have enough space, especially if there is other stuff in the cache.

It needs to be bigger, or redirected!!

New TPT may fix, or different ROM.

Not sure if F&C supports cache redirect for a 2MB cache partition, check in ROM thread!!

Edited by irishpancake

Guest windy_miller

I have been having a similar problem with CM9 on the SFII. I installed it along with the A2SD scripts, then reinstalled all my apps from a Titanium backup. I can see that sd-ext is mounted, and that the apps are living on the sd-ext partition. My data patrition only had about 30Mb free though, even though my apps were on sd-ext.

When I tried to install anything larger than about 2Mb from the market, I would get an "Insufficient Storage" error, even though there was about 30Mb free on the data partition.

So, I manually moved all my apps from sd-ext to the FAT partition on the SD card, using the "Move to SD Card" option in Settings->Apps. Now, this should not actually make any difference to the free space on the data partition, as the apps will be moving from sd-ext to sd. However after moving all the apps that could be moved, I can now download apps from the market again.

I just double checked my cache partition size, is is 40Mb.