Build Quality of G300

Guest qwerty098

Guest FrankieADZ

something tells me the G300 may last less well than the Blade, the plasticy Blade has an amazing ability to bounce and keep working (have 2, 18months old, one has had screen replaced twice due to severe drop and touch issue with first replacement but otherwise no issues with either).

we'll see.. i suspect the glass screen and thinness of the G300 will work against it.

any teardown/repair guides for G300 yet?

the phone has gorilla glass so..should be able to take a few knocks. :)

I have dropped mine several times now,no worries,it is more solid than my blade or skate.Although the g300 has a thin battery cover,it fits on very tight.

The one thing that annoyed me the most with my blade/skate was the crappy noisy buttons,and the back plate that creaked and moaned if you pressed on it,no such problems with g300,although the side plastic parts are a little creaky,but not with a case on.

And to be honest the specs easily make up for the less than perfect build,but what is expected for a budget phone with mid range specs.

I really don't get why people always go on about build quality when they are buying or have a budget handset.

I personally think huawei have done a fantastic job,they had to save money somewhere,its a budget android,I would rather they save money with the housing instead of the stuff that really matters.And the stuff that really matters,they have delivered on.The CPU is S1 snapdragon,4inch display that has better quality than any other android I have owned,which also has gorilla glass,the camera & video is ten times that of blade or skate,and unlike the skate,the flash actually works,and quite well too.And battery life......well the g300 is in a completely different universe to my blade & skate.

Edited by Guest

Guest scuzzbucket

You just said all the stuff I was to lazy to type myself. Now, if I could put my Neo's screen in the Huawei all would be well.

Guest thrifty_paul

Build quality is surprisingly good. It is solid, the screen is great compared to my old HTC Hero. I have only had it 4 days, and then as I was driving along using the Google Navigate, it crashed and rebooted. It then had some lines of Linux boot information. Something about cache failed to read, and then reset to factory settings, wiping all the information from the phone. Luckily with Andoird this is not such a big deal, as you can view the apps you had and so on. However as I am on Three, and the phone likes to go back to the Vodafone APN, it is tricky to recover from, away from home without a PC with internet. Hopefully this can be ironed out with new firmware, I have B885

Paul

Guest Davidoff59

Paul there are a few reports of that cropping up, with some suggesting its a hardware issue. Huawei are looking into it but the more complaints may get it fixed quicker.

Guest Maximus9

Surprised to see people saying the display is good, compared to my old Wildifre, the screen is way too glossy and not bright enough, barely see it outside.

Also compared to my girlfriends Blackberry Torch 9800, the brightness and the mirror effect make the Huawei seem like a really cheap device.

Now I have 2 G300 cause the first one will be returned. The second one came with B885 on it. Hope it will work for at least 2 years... it says it has a 24 month warranty so let's see... hope I wont need it. But a lot of people complain about restarts, missing apps and so on. I wouldn't say the build quality is great. It is too soon to say anything about reliability too.

Guest scuzzbucket

Its all relative though. The G300 cost £100, the BlackBerry costs 4 times that. The Wildfire cost a lot more than £100 too, didn't it, on release? And the Wildfire has a LDPI screen doesn't it? Those are cheaper to ship a phone with than a much bigger HDPI like the G300. Also G300 = 4". Wildfire = 2.8"(I think?) which is another big cost. For £100 its good.

• 2 months later...
Guest lowrider007

I must admit the creakyness of this phone is really starting to annoy now, it's the only real only downfall and I don't think the price of the phone is a valid excuse for such a poor chasis, the zte blade only cost me £89 and that thing was built like a tank, you only have to pick up the G300 and it starts creaking allover the place, it makes the phone feel tacky and cheap.

Just out of intrest what would be the next cheapest phone with similar or slightly better specs but solid construction?

Edited by lowrider007

Guest godsakes

Build quality is perfectly decent, don't think you can expect much more for a phone in it's price range - it's built better than the zte cresent (aka T-mobile Vivacity or Orange San Fran 2) as it has the gorilla glass screen but worse than the HTC Desire which in turn has a metal case.

I think I would have preferred they used a matte (or rubber) finish so you could grip the G300 better, instead of going for the smooth faux metal looks which makes it quite slippery to hold

Guest Smiff2

my two G300s are much less creaky than my two OSFs - but both those OSFs work fine after 18 months and too early to tell on G300

only complaint i have about G300 build is the screen on one of them was misaligned so you lose the top 4 rows. not sure if i could correct this, not going to risk opening it.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest lowrider007

my two G300s are much less creaky than my two OSFs

I find that hard to beleive tbh, I have the original San Franny here and I can't even get a creak out of it no matter how tackile I am with it, there is noway the G300 is better built than the OSF, not the first one.

I guess I'll just have to get used to it for now, next year there be another 'price to performance' bargain phone no doubt so I'll probably only have it for a year at most anyway, I'll order a gel case off ebay, that might help.

Edited by lowrider007

Guest scuzzbucket

Just out of intrest what would be the next cheapest phone with similar or slightly better specs but solid construction?

The Xperia U probably gives you better value, but you do get a smaller (3.5) screen. Dual core, good camera, silly lighty-up thing at the bottom where the home etc buttons are.

Edited by scuzzbucket

Guest Smiff2

? there's no doubt to me the G300 feels more solid, heavier, higher quality than the Blade. it doesn't feel much different to a Samsung imho.

my suspicion is that G300 may survive drops less well than others, because of that weight and glass screen, but i'm not willing to destroy them to find out.

also another user said the G300 isn't very water tolerant.. again not something you can easily judge.

Edited by Smiff2

Had mine a week now and the build quality is good, it does creak slightly at the base of the phone but now with a s line gel case from the bay at a cheap price of £1.20 with a screen protector has cured that and it feels more solid and only adds a couple of mil to the dimensions.

The only disappointing thing for me is the sound from the external speaker is weak, and when using apps like volume + to improve the situation it becomes apparent the speaker in the phone is not up to it :(

Guest Pondlife

The Xperia U probably gives you better value, but you do get a smaller (3.5) screen. Dual core, good camera, silly lighty-up thing at the bottom where the home etc buttons are.

With fixed size small memory too.

my two G300s are much less creaky than my two OSFs - but both those OSFs work fine after 18 months and too early to tell on G300

only complaint i have about G300 build is the screen on one of them was misaligned so you lose the top 4 rows. not sure if i could correct this, not going to risk opening it.

Thought the screen alignment was found to be a software issue and was ok on recent firmwares so definitely wouldn't open it.

Guest Smiff2

umm fairly sure screen on one is physically too high and left.. there is a border around bottom and right sides plus the other two missing edges.. can't see any software fix doing this, and i have have updated to current OTA.

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Malthus

The phone will last far far longer than you want to keep it. You'd have to be incredibly rough with it for it to break from general wear and tear within the next five years at least. I have a Huawei u8160 that I've dropped onto hard floors dozens of times, left in soaking jeans, kept in pockets alongside change and keys, etc. and it doesn't even look worn, let alone starting to fall apart. The only slightly crap thing is the battery cover that will ping off if you happen to drop the phone onto a tiled floor or something, but a jelly cover cures that (as well as hiding how ugly the white version is).

umm fairly sure screen on one is physically too high and left.. there is a border around bottom and right sides plus the other two missing edges.. can't see any software fix doing this, and i have have updated to current OTA.

The fault was high only so it does sound like yours is something else. The OTA updates fix it too.