Low mic volume during phonecall

Guest Pidun14

Guest Pidun14

I have problem with low volume of mic during phone calls. Phone upgraded to B888. Do not know how before upgrade, have not used the phone. Earlier people were complaining only when I was calling abroad, my wife was pleased with phonecall quality. Now it looks like a permanent problem, reboot etc. does not help. I have not installed many applications, none of them sound related. Funny thing is that sound recording seems to work fine, voice volume is ok. Because of this I think / hope it is rather software issue, not hardware. No such problem when using bt hf.

Somebody here reported similar problem, but no solution or even suggestion were given.

Do you thing that ROM re-install might help? Is there anything I could check or do before taking this step?

Appreciate your help.

Guest Muznyu

I've experienced this issue too, and I think it's a software related problem. When I'm using the speaker during calls the other person can hear me well, but otherwise the mic volume is low, and people are complaining about the call quality.

Guest Pidun14

Just checked and mic volume is indeed higher when using speaker during call. Strange that only few users experience this, on the other hand not all of us had problems with ringtone volume as well. Will try to install rom once again when I have time.

Guest feckineejit

I have this problem to, phoned my mother yesterday and she said it sounded like i was a good bit away from the phone while i was talking to her (think she means the sound was to low) :)

Guest Davidoff59

Complain to Huawei as they wont see it here. If its not fixed for gingerbread, they can at least make sure its fixed for ics

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pidun14

Sent message to Huawei, no response.

Updated to B894 but still have the same issues.

When we switch to speaker obviously some setting is adjusted and mic is working fine, wonder if it would be possible to do it permanently.... Unfo I have now idea how to do it.....

Guest feckineejit

I contacted Huawei on facebook a while back about this, they weren't much help, just told me to take it to vodafone and see them :angry: has no one managed to sort this problem out, tried a few roms but no luck as yet :(

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Pidun14

Possibly I have a solution, at least it worked in my case so far. Reading other post on the forum I found out how to enter the engineering menu (dial * # * # 2846579 # * # *).

So I did it, went to ProjectMenu -> Background setting -> Dual Mic Setting and turned it off (was "on" as default).

First call and my wife says - you are on speaker, I can hear you very good. The thing is I was not on the speaker.

Still mic level is higher when I switch to speaker.

Will make few more calls, but looks like I do not have to return the phone any more.

Try this and let know if it worked for you. Hope it helps.

Could somebody who does not have mic issues kindly check his default Dual Mic Setting and post it here please?

Edited by Pidun14

Guest MickJack

Sounded a brill solution, I get some 'feedback' that the mic is low, but using 927 I don't get Dual Mic Setting under BackGround Setting.

(nice to know it may be somewhere)

Edited by MickJack

Guest ADROW

I don't have that option in MIUI either, shame really. The solution makes sense though, the feature could be lowering the voice mic instead of reducing background noise.

Guest Pidun14

Forgot to mention that I'm on B892 at the moment.

Found out, that each time I restart phone Dual Mic setting is "ON", so this is not perfect solution after all.

Edited by Pidun14

Guest munchkin2

thank you!! Pidun14 this has sorted out the issue on my phone! i could only use it on speaker phone, not something i really wanted to face while in a busy shopping mall!

My phone has B885 on it, and this fixed the issue for me. Hopefully they come out with a new build that fixes it permanently!

Definitely not hardware related.

Mel

NZ

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with low voice volume of incoming calls, caller hears me perfectly but I did not hear it!

If I activate the hands-free option we both heard correctly!

Phone ROM is B927.

In this thread there is an interim solution for Gingerbread via the "hidden" menu, but this setting "Dual Mic" is not available in ICS.

Any news about this issue?

&marti

Guest lobespear

i am having the original problem, i.e. i can hear the caller but they cannot hear me. i'm on B892 vodafone. are there any customs ROMs that might fix this issue?

Guest Titas

I have this problem too. Went from B892 to Pauls Gr2 but people struggle to hear me unless I have phone on "speaker". The consensus of opinion is that it's a software issue but I don't understand why some seem to have the problem while others don't.

&marti reports above that the issue remained after flashing B927 but I believe I read someone else said the problem was fixed by flashing B927 (or possibly B926).

Does anyone have any more info on cause or solution?

Edited by Titas

There are two different problems:

- Original: I can hear the caller but they cannot hear me (mic issue).

- New (mine): Caller hears me perfectly but I did not hear it (front speaker issue)

Related to the original problem, to permanently set "Dual Mic" option, try the following:

Edit the file "/system/build.prop", root is needed, change or add the following line:

ro.config.dualmic=false[/CODE]

My issue, I'm thinking it's a hardware problem. Before downgrade to be sure, does anyone know an application to test the front speaker?

&marti

Guest Titas

Thanks; sorry misread your post. Pindun14's solution seemed to work OK but was only temp so this could fix it. Cheers!

Edited by Titas