457 replies to this topic

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, OSF
I got around to sending a letter to Bristol on Wednesday regarding my travails in trying to get an unlock code, I also sent a copy to [email protected] in the hopes that it might wake someone up. I first asked for it on the 16th November and have had many promises that "we'll rush it through" since then. After the first failure the girl immediately put £20.42 credit on my phone for the inconvenience without any prompting from myself and I was very confident it was a genuine mistake and I would receive it shortly. More fool me...

They have actually sent me an e-mail recently advising me how to unlock my "iPhone" which of course is neither use nor ornament and just to rub salt into the wound actually charged me for it. I have asked for a callback from a manager but have no confidence it was even requested let alone actually receive one.
I'll wait and see if the letter has any effect at all, if not I'll have to escalate it to CISAS.

Communication and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
24 Angel Gate
City Road
London
EC1V 2PT
Tel: 020 7520 3827
Fax: 020 7520 3829
E-mail: [email protected]

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Matthew 23:12

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
Wonders never cease, it took 3 months and 3 days to finally get my unlock code, I just need a non Orange micro sim now to use it. I'm tempted by the Virgin £7 pay monthly option since I'm not a heavy user. At least they didn't charge me again and with the initial £20 credit it's not actually cost me anything(excepting blood, sweat and tears and of course all the calls).
I guess the letter had some affect after all.

Edited by BlueMoonRising, 19 February 2013 - 07:19 PM.

Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7
Nice one.
Will bear your troubles in mind when I start trying to get mine unlocked.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
If it's taught me one thing it's that I will never ever buy a locked handset again. I will also never ever buy anything off Orange either, although that's 2 things obviously.

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Well not buy a locked handset that needs the network to unlock at least I'd say.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
Since Virgin use the same network I presume I can't use their micro sim to complete the unlocking process?

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
wouldn't think so, pick up a sim quick to make sure they've really done it.

shootomanUK

shootomanUK

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Devices:AZ210A , WT19i , DynaTAC 8000X
  • Twitter:@not got one

Wonders never cease, it took 3 months and 3 days to finally get my unlock code, I just need a non Orange micro sim now to use it. I'm tempted by the Virgin £7 pay monthly option since I'm not a heavy user. At least they didn't charge me again and with the initial £20 credit it's not actually cost me anything(excepting blood, sweat and tears and of course all the calls).
I guess the letter had some affect after all.

So just to clarify you have been trying to get this unlocked for 3 month, and now you are thinking of going on virgin ? lol
I thought virgin & t-mobile worked in the phone anyway ? (scratches head)

King Conrad

King Conrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego
Dont go with Virgin! Crazy! GiffGaff is what you need. Unlimited internet, texts and calls to anyone else on giffgaff and 250mins to any network all for £12

If you use this link you also get £5 credit on top (My link) http://giffgaff.com/...filiate/dafunks

Been with them for quite awhile now and no issues apart from more cash in my pocket and great internet.

Oh and you get a micro sim also :)

Edited by King Conrad, 21 February 2013 - 03:04 AM.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

So just to clarify you have been trying to get this unlocked for 3 month, and now you are thinking of going on virgin ? lol
I thought virgin & t-mobile worked in the phone anyway ? (scratches head)

They do, I just wanted the phone unlocked and was happy(sort of) to pay the £20 to get it done. I was less than happy with their efforts to do so.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Dont go with Virgin! Crazy! GiffGaff is what you need. Unlimited internet, texts and calls to anyone else on giffgaff and 250mins to any network all for £12

If you use this link you also get £5 credit on top (My link) http://giffgaff.com/...filiate/dafunks

Been with them for quite awhile now and no issues apart from more cash in my pocket and great internet.

Oh and you get a micro sim also :)

Lol, £12 a month is a lot on a mobile for me, I'm a REALLY light user. While at work I can use a BT Fon router with my WiFi anyway.
I'm going to stay with Orange just for now I think since I get the free 500MB per month download limit just for buying the phone, I've still got 6 months worth of it left. I would also miss Signal Boost I think. As for GiffGaff they use the O2 network as far as I know and it's not great here(we're fairly rural), that said EE aren't brilliant(although definitely better) but with Signal Boost I can always get a signal somewhere.

Edit:- I've already unlocked it using an old Vodafone Mini Sim that the son had and cutting it down to Micro Sim size.

Edited by BlueMoonRising, 21 February 2013 - 09:04 AM.

King Conrad

King Conrad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego

Lol, £12 a month is a lot on a mobile for me, I'm a REALLY light user. While at work I can use a BT Fon router with my WiFi anyway.
I'm going to stay with Orange just for now I think since I get the free 500MB per month download limit just for buying the phone, I've still got 6 months worth of it left. I would also miss Signal Boost I think. As for GiffGaff they use the O2 network as far as I know and it's not great here(we're fairly rural), that said EE aren't brilliant(although definitely better) but with Signal Boost I can always get a signal somewhere.

Edit:- I've already unlocked it using an old Vodafone Mini Sim that the son had and cutting it down to Micro Sim size.

Check out this http://giffgaff.com/index/offer

It shows how much cheaper they really are. If your a light internet user then go for £10. Maybe they need a smaller internet package also. It is a community network so thats why its cheap... But i guess it is also internet usage driven as I think thats the community focus.

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
It's a competitive market, Virgin offer :-

Mobile SIM Only £7
  • 150 minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • 500MB Mobile Web
Starter SIM Only £10
  • 250 minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • 1GB Mobile Web
Essential SIM Only £12
  • 1200 minutes
  • Unlimited texts
  • 1GB Mobile Web
Using http://www.sitefinde...m.org.uk/search my home is 270m from the nearest Orange mast and 730m from a second(there is nothing else closer) whereas the next nearest is an O2 mast at 1.2Km distance. So given my now free choice I'm actually still best off with Orange/T-Mobile or Virgin. There is fair coverage all around town(just down the road) as well.

Edit:- actually there's 2 Orange masts at the 730m mark transmitting at different frequencies.

Edited by BlueMoonRising, 22 February 2013 - 11:50 AM.

Biohead

Biohead

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
Giffgaff certainly isn't the be-all and end-all that it once was - there are some definite rivals to it nowadays.

I still use them however as they're cheaper than O2, but mainly because they also use their network - the newer 3G 900MHz network in particular. I live out in the sticks, so I've really been able to tell a difference when this went live. (Probably because O2's 3G network before they were allowed to do this was appalling).

BlueMoonRising

BlueMoonRising

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
I know the OSD supports 900MHz but does that include O2 s 3G900 service? Is it more effective indoors than the 1800MHz & 2100MHz signal I get around here?

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
Personally, I would only go for a deal with truly unlimited internet. 1GB simply isn't enough. I use around 8GB month so I was lucky to get my t-mobile deal with unlimited internet a few weeks before they introduced the fair usage plan. Only £10 a month as well - 100 mins Unlimited texts Unlimited Internet Unlimited Landline calls. However, I bought this in 2010 just carried it on after the 24 months were finished.
I also got a free phone which I sold for £140 (Xperia U). So overall I paid £100 (240-140) for the entire contract.

So it is £2.50 a month for
  • 100 mins
  • Unlimited Texts
  • Truly Unlimited Internet
  • Unlimited Landlines

If anyone is interested in a current contract, look at Ovivo Mobile. For a one off £15 payment, you get 100 mins, 100 texts, 400mb internet and the £15 credit to spend (8p/minute, 5p/text).
The 100 mins, 100 texts, and 400mb internet gets added on again every month. So it's a contract with a one off payment. There is also free Ovivo to Ovivo calls and texts.
My friend tried it and it works flawlessly. You will probably need to be unlocked though

Edited by i am not a hacker, 22 February 2013 - 12:34 PM.

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

Biohead

Biohead

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5
The frequencies the AZ210 is capable of:
GSM (850/900/1800/1900)
UMTS/HSDPA (850/900/1900/2100)
HSPDA+ (850/900/1900/2100)
Which means it should be able to run on O2's 900MHz 3G network... until I get my OSD unlocked I can't confirm though.

In terms of coverage, I can be well inside a building and still get a 3G signal... which I wouldn't have done on 2100MHz in the slightest.

teacake

teacake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:orange sansfransisco
My OSD works fine on virgin and with xolo updated rom. But still locked to orange. Unfortunately it will not work outside the UK and will not pick up other networks even T-mobile which since it can use t-mobile apn settings in UK is strange. Pitty it is away back to orange for a crap GPS and cracked bezel although less than two months old and well cared for.

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Virgin mobile have changed there terms for all customers on unlimited plans depending on when you joined itvis either capped from 2.5gb or 3.5gb. This has really peed me off! Anyone know of truly unlimited data plans for this phone for under a 10er a month?

topcat07

topcat07

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
Including tethering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users