* * * * * 2 votes

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

mclassplanet

mclassplanet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
If you go into a T-Mobile shop (Everything Everywhere shops might be able to offer this as well), you can ask for a Micro SIM and get 12 months' free internet woth £40 for a £10 top-up:

http://www.t-mobile....shop/micro-sim/

Otherwise you can buy internet boosters from T-Mobile, which are great if you don't use the phone much for other purposes, especially the 6 month option for £20 (GiffGaff may still offer better value for some people). Orange (UK) doesn't offer anything similar from what I've seen:

http://www.t-mobile....ou-go/boosters/

The great thing about T-Mobile is that they don't charge you if you exceed their fair usage policy; they just restrict what you can do during peak times but basic web browsing should always be possible if a booster is currently active. However I don't think you can remove these restrictions (if the fair usage policy is exceeded) before the end of the month even if you buy another booster to follow on from one that expired before the end of a calendar month (if that makes sense).

project_tt

project_tt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
hi
i got one of these san diego's .... willing to try anything out to get it unlocked

cheesebread

cheesebread

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Devices:San Francisco
Checked this out in store today felt pretty fast just waiting for a sim unlock now before I commit.

favod

favod

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate
OK don't know if its possible with the OSD using a micro sim but I remember seeing an adapter for full sized sim cards that is a thin circuit that makes your phone accept any sim does an adapter like that exist for micro Sims and if so would that allow u to use any sim card

Hello my name is David and i'm a MoDaCo addict

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

OK don't know if its possible with the OSD using a micro sim but I remember seeing an adapter for full sized sim cards that is a thin circuit that makes your phone accept any sim does an adapter like that exist for micro Sims and if so would that allow u to use any sim card

I've not seen those for microSIM and they'd have to be seriously tiny.

The problem with the microSIM format is there's nowhere to 'punch' space in the card for the chip...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

I've not seen those for microSIM and they'd have to be seriously tiny.

The problem with the microSIM format is there's nowhere to 'punch' space in the card for the chip...

P

You haven't seen "Gevey" SIM for iPhone then! ;-)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

You haven't seen "Gevey" SIM for iPhone then! ;-)

Neat!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

favod

favod

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Does that mean that it will do the trick ?

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Does that mean that it will do the trick ?

Buy it; try it.

favod

favod

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Buy it; try it.

If I had the phone I would so instead I've emailed gevey to see if they know if it works in other phones but they might not know so someone's still gonna need to test one is that the only Turbo micro sim On the the market? Can someone do a Google search for me only got mobile phone web and its insanely slow

rockmonkey

rockmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
i called orange today because i still fancy buying this phone. i own a defy (by far and away the best built phone i have ever fondled) and know what can be achieved using a phone with a locked bootloader so this is not a total deterant for me at least.

i have had a pay as you go sim which was activated about 10 months ago (although i have never used it). anyway i called up customer services and they told me that even though i have a pay as you go account i would have to link the imei number of the phone to the sim for three months before they would unlock it.

well that put an end to any chance of me owning this phone and as an extension this is probably the main reason why the handset is locked down.

networks dont make any real money selling phones. the income is derived from the data and services they sell. if everyone was hacking it like mad and unlocking phones willy nilly they wouldnt make a lot of cash.

i still think the sim lock will sink this phone more than the bootloader. certainly nailed the coffin shut for me.

i think i will wait for the new windows phones. locked down they may be but that isnt that big a deal if the basics are ok in the first place and i think with windows 8 they certainly look to have the basics just about right. until then i will keep my nigh on bullet proof defy running cm7.

fastohm

fastohm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:orange san diego, blade
SImlock isn't the killer if your patient, its the way its locked down which considering how much Intel support the overclocking community is very poor - or are Orange the real culprits here :angry:

rockmonkey

rockmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
i should have extended my original statement to simlocked and it being a network exclusive to orange for the main reasons the phone may fail. i am obviously in the minority who thinks a locked bootloader isnt a major issue for most people. i reckon the bootloader is locked because that is the way orange wants it. pure speculation but that is my hunch for the reasons above, namely money.

ii will say that my phone call to orange was mainly curiosity. i am very interested in buying it and wanted to see if i would be able to get it unlocked straight away no waiting around. however if no root exploit is found then i wont buy it full stop sim lock or not. that is the most important thing in my eyes. without that even altering the general feel of the phone will be limited at best and a lot of apps i use would simply not work.

Edited by rockmonkey, 26 June 2012 - 10:01 PM.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

i should have extended my original statement to simlocked and it being a network exclusive to orange for the main reasons the phone may fail. i am obviously in the minority who thinks a locked bootloader isnt a major issue for most people. i reckon the bootloader is locked because that is the way orange wants it. pure speculation but that is my hunch for the reasons above, namely money.

i

Personally, the handset is a smasher, regardless of bootloader. I can live with a slightly ugly theme, as the pros MASSIVELY outweigh the cons, if any.

shootomanUK

shootomanUK

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Devices:AZ210A , WT19i , DynaTAC 8000X
  • Twitter:@not got one
Hi, just wondering if the gevey sim would unlock the osd ?

i know its for iphone 4 but could it work for this do you think ?

they can be had for a few quid on ebay

Edited by shootomanUK, 14 July 2012 - 09:06 PM.

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
No, only for iphone

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

speedy2222

speedy2222

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Hi guys I found this blogpost :
http://www.androidno...ange-san-diego/

its seems to be use xolo update.zip for unlocking OSD but someone tryed it and of course was success?

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Excellent news :D :D :D
Are they working on root too I wonder ?

Edited by jikobutsu, 25 July 2012 - 03:56 PM.

RHodgett

RHodgett

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Devices:San Diego (Virgin Mobile)

Hi guys I found this blogpost :
http://www.androidno...ange-san-diego/

its seems to be use xolo update.zip for unlocking OSD but someone tryed it and of course was success?

Has anyone tried this yet?

By the way, I can confirm that Virgin Mobile sims DO WORK on the OSD as stock. Tested my sim in a friends phone today, was able to make a call and have since ordered a handset!

Good offer to be had now on the orange website through quidco: £209.99 for phone including £30 quidco cashback + £20 HMV voucher + £10 phone credit.

Edited by RHodgett, 25 July 2012 - 04:11 PM.

rickywyatt

rickywyatt

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts
  • Interests:Android
    Rom Modding &
    MoDaCo moderator
  • Devices:OneX Samsung S3 LTE Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@rickywyatt1982
if thay have unlocked the sim then thay could tell us how thay resigned it because then we could add root

Remember to read the fourm rules<br /><br />Maker of the AIO tool for Orange San Diego here<br />and the maker of the Motorola Razr I AIO tools here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users