Got questions on the Orange San Diego? #askmodaco

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Now our Orange San Diego has arrived, it's your chance to ask us anything you want to know about this ground-breaking Intel powered Smartphone!

I am taking questions both here and on Twitter with the #askmodaco tag... so ask away! :)

Answers

@kennydude - what's the AnTuTu benchmark for the device?

5705 - CPU 2427, RAM 1061, GPU 1465, I/O 752. I'm going to upload the benchmark results from the different apps in a dedicated thread. It's quite possible a lot of the apps don't work completely right on x86 yet mind...

@cheesebaron - Since the San Diego has an X86 arch, do you feel much difference in terms of speed compared to ARM?

Well, it feels very snappy, that's not necessarily down to the architecture yet!

@owenoliver - do all the apps work from the market?

With one exception (Temple Run), yes, everything i've tried works fine so far!

@sigurdrokeness96 - how is the performance of the Intel processor compared to the s3 chips in the Sensation? And could you post a quadrant benchmark?

I'll post up a quadrant in a dedicated thread in the San Diego forum in a bit. The sore is 3771. You can't really compare the chip to the SGS3 top end quad core...?

@professordej - The big one - battery life?

Too early to say - still testing!

@flibblesan - How quickly does it boot. Does it have fastboot?

Very quick - check out the unboxing video! Fastboot as in booting fast? Nothing specific. Fastboot as in bootloader? Yes.

@steviebug - Does it have flash player? Iplayer?

It does, and iPlayer works great.

@MatchstickUK - So are Intel and Orange's claims of 14 day standby battery life genuine?

TBC, :)

@flibblesan - Does TweakDeck work OK?

Yes, it works great!

@__foy So how's the phone treating you so far? Worth paying a bit more for something a bit nicer? Anything on the hacking front?

I've started hacking about and i'll again create a dedicated topic for this in the San Diego forum. So far, i'm pretty impressed!

@DanShamehand - What DPI does it run at?

@coburn64 - is the cpu ARM or x86? Battery life? Is it snappy? RAM? Internal Storage?

x86. RAM is 1GB, ~2GB on /data, ~10GB on internal /sdcard.

@ufoman557 - try some games, they are bound to use arm7 only libraries...

Most work fine, only Temple Run doesn't install so far.

@motomast3r - plz quadrant test, i want to see, what intel beast can do :))

See above. :)

@Zumodoki - Does Temple Run work?

No, it doesn't install. I am going to investigate further.

@HarizBS - how is the general performance of the device compared to something like the sgs3 and how's the camera?

Not sure you can compare to the SGS3, but it feels very snappy in use. Camera has a TON of options, going to take some test shots today.

Click here to view the item

Guest Wayne877

Will it work with a t-mobile sim out of the box or do you have to unlock it?

AH! Just seen the device specific forum *hangs head in shame* "Search is my friend"

Guest Matchstick

Are you planning to take the back off and explore the capabilities of the MicroSD card slot?

Also do you have any early impressions of Root and Mod-ability yet ?

Guest PaulOBrien

Matchstick - i'm uploading a video of me putting a microSD in the back now! :)

Not that it's detecting it mind! :(

Root, needs some work due to a lot of stuff being different on Intel!

Guest the juggernaut

hope that is the not detecting sd cards is fixed soon as i will be upgrading to one of these in a bit (not sure when though) but i have a 64gb sd card and i wont want to be without that is i have used up more than half of it

Guest Rem1x

Tegra 2 or Medfield?

edit: also - seeing as the chipset has a somewhat underwhelming GPU, is that going to cause problems for ICS?

Edited by Rem1x

Guest tilal6991

Haha, I'm not the biggest nVidia fan, but that's a bit biased :P

No I mean that it has to be Medfield since it's an Intel phone with an Intel processor on an x86 arch. Tegra is ARM.

Guest jax5

Q. how long before we can realistically expect custom roms on it?

Q. what's build quality like?

Edited by jax5

Guest NeostarNeko

1GB of RAM!! I like the sound of this ^_^

Q: Have you tried running any games by Madfinger like Samurai II and Shadowgun?

Guest Choni26

Hi

You wrote that the battery is fixed.That means that there is no chance to use a spare battery?What do you suggest?(My ZTE Blade never survives a day and i doubt that this will:D)

Guest Rem1x

Hi Paul,

Please could you try

Bubble upnp https://play.google....ubbleupnp&hl=en

Dice player https://play.google....WVyLnRyaWFsIl0.

and BS player https://play.google....2lkLmZyZWUiXQ..

with a 1080p mkv (if you have one !).

Also what has the battery life like during use and standby ?

Thanks

Just tried BS Player with an MKV - it prompted me to download the ARMv7 library. It failed to get hardware acceleration working, and as such the 720p video I watched was laggy as hell.

Dice Player won't even install.

Guest Rem1x

Use MoboPlayer. It has x86 binaries.

Doing so now, but I don't seem to have any sound. Also plays the video in a really small box. Smooth, though ;P

Guest Simon O

Doing so now, but I don't seem to have any sound. Also plays the video in a really small box. Smooth, though ;P

lol. Paul said it worked ok for him.. weird

Thanks guys for the reply. I have ordered mine today before i got the replies! I will give it a go and reply back after Saturday.

The sound issue may be due the sound codec e.g dts.

I will contact the dev for the apps if I come across any problems. Apparently they may just need to add a line or two.

Edited by aty

Guest Rem1x

Thanks guys for the reply. I have ordered mine today before i got the replies! I will give it a go and reply back after Saturday.

The sound issue may be due the sound codec e.g dts.

I will contact the dev for the apps if I come across any problems. Apparently they may just need to add a line or two.

It's a very nice phone, I'm sure the issue will be fixed in good time!