57 replies to this topic

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
I agree,although they say we are getting a demo,it dies not mean shortly after the full version will not be released.
We cannot just assume,then go off Shouting at huawei.
At first I was annoyed,thinking we have been cheated,but then I thought about it.....Why would they publicly say we are getting ics if it was only going to be demo? they wouldn't simple! They are a professional company who are not stupid enough to stain there name with a lie.

Its coming,lets just sit back and wait ay?
Tilal will most likely provide cm9 before that time comes,so what's the worry?
And when official ics comes,I for one wont be using it,because I will be using the greatly enhanced cm9 that come due to its arrival.lol

Edited by jikobutsu, 07 June 2012 - 08:25 AM.

scuzzbucket

scuzzbucket

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Lots of stuff.
  • Devices:Xperia Neo
I'm going to think of it as a Beta release. The same way SE released beta ICS roms to the community. What better way to find bugs and inconsistencies than put a test build out? Helps devs and helps Huawei. Put the pitchforks away for now.

eLJay

eLJay

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (Orange Monte Carlo)
The people complaining are A - Impatient and B - Probably not software Developers.

Be thankful they are bothering with a demo (I would hope they already have unreleased Alpha and Beta versions).
Otherwise the fully released version would be full of bugs (though you can still expect a few updates and patches).

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
I think the issue was the way they worded it.A demo is usually not fully featured and you have to pay to get all the features as in a game demo. Now if they said it would be a beta of Ics, that has a different meaning entirely meaning that its in the testing stages and will be improved upon as bugs get fixed.
The phone was sold as and publicly advertised as coming with a future ics upgrade. Both Vodafone and Huawei said this.
Huawei have since said its going to be a full ics upgrade so there are no issues now. I will happily partake in Beta testing for Huawei and Vodafone but I would not have accepted a demo version.
Lets put it down to a translation issue or just a wrong choice of words. I am happy they clarified their position though and whether it was a climb down or a translation issue, I thank Huawei for doing the right thing.
In the meantime, we have roms to play with and bug reports to submit for the community based shift to ics on the g300 and I am happily beta testing for those guys too. Anyone who can't wait for ics can help with testing the ligux rom and Tilals Cm9 port.

Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
I've just been browsing the various Huawei sites from around the world and according to the Argentinian site ICS will be available in July 2012. No idea how accurate that is but the link is http://www.huaweidev.../45-ascend-g300

"Android 4.0 available from July 2012" Courtesy of Google translate.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

I've just been browsing the various Huawei sites from around the world and according to the Argentinian site ICS will be available in July 2012. No idea how accurate that is but the link is http://www.huaweidev.../45-ascend-g300

thats good sort of news :)
should be helpful to aid cm9 i think

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
Sweeeeeeet!!!

eLJay

eLJay

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (Orange Monte Carlo)

thats good sort of news
should be helpful to aid cm9 i think

Aid it? I would think it will do most of the work for them, just add your CM9 changes (updates, branding, developer options, keyboards) and it should be good to go.

I'm actually tempted to wait to use the official update this time.

Edited by eLJay, 18 June 2012 - 07:52 PM.

RussellS

RussellS

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Devices:Blade, Huawei G300, Jiayu G3
But will we be able to use the standard update if we are already on an unofficial rom like B888

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

But will we be able to use the standard update if we are already on an unofficial rom like B888

think we will if it comes official as the B888 rom changed the partition size of the g300 which it needs for ICS. tho cant be 100% sure tho tbh
also..im sure i seen in another thread that ICS might me something like B912 or something.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

It makes no difference really as all that is needed is a CWM backup of the rom which then can be made CWM flashable.

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
The repartition if it was that wasn't for ICS as ics isn't built yet so final sizes aren't known. They will change the sizes with the ics upgrade itself. Would make no sense to change them 1 or 2 months before the rom is released as its just as easy to put it into the final product.

I think the ota update will work, its just that we on B888 may not get the proper update. Ie if B888 was meant for Romania for example, we may get a Romanian ics version

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
Also B916 was a test build only.

rsrocha

rsrocha

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
Just one thought...

Can anyone trace where the ota update gets the files? Server address or similar?

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts

The repartition if it was that wasn't for ICS as ics isn't built yet so final sizes aren't known. They will change the sizes with the ics upgrade itself. Would make no sense to change them 1 or 2 months before the rom is released as its just as easy to put it into the final product.

I think the ota update will work, its just that we on B888 may not get the proper update. Ie if B888 was meant for Romania for example, we may get a Romanian ics version

I agree,it makes no sense to partition for ics now when it would be easier for them to do that with the ics update.Not quite sure what they are doing with these updates though,maybe they are experimenting with partition sizes.I updated to B895 the other day,and this makes it impossible to use any update.app before it.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts

I can confidently say that this will be the 'demo' ROM and not the full update. Full update will come later this year, most likely October/November time.

Oh and stop moaning about demo ROMs. Huawei do this all the time to get more bug reports and ensure the release ROM is better for everyone. And if you are worried about it being buggy then don't use it!

I agree,it makes no sense to partition for ics now when it would be easier for them to do that with the ics update

If you have re-partitioned the device then the official updates will no longer function. We've seen this happen on other Huawei devices.

FrankieADZ

FrankieADZ

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
do u think that ppl who updated to B888 won't be able to official update Fibblesan?

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
I'm not sure if it does repartition really. If you see my post on the Updata.app, you will see why I think this.
I just hope Huawei release some kind of backword compatibility for those who do test Ics to revert back if necessary.

What we need is for someone to post stock partition sizes and then compare what we have from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users