How long before a root and roms?

Guest subzer0wbb

Guest JasonKenny

Get yourself over to XDA. S3 is now rooted and new ROMs are being developed. One called Omega is in v4. Apparently Paul is getting an S3 and I'll wait for a customised MCR. Just need supercurio (sound chip guru) and francisco franco (kernel guru) to work with Paul for the perfect S3 ROM.

Edited by JasonKenny

Guest Gary Crutcher

Am working on a deodexed, CWM, rooted version with some mods.

Do not have my SG3 yet. Getting it today.

Hopefully will post a I9300ZSALED ROM later this week.

EDIT: Oops - Samsung is out of stock...will have to wait 3-4 days...

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest rferrett

No need Gary! I finally got mine yesterday and frankly I think it is a beauty! Bosh.

THe chainfire root solution is already out. I have not got around to doing it yet. Just making sure everything is working properly first.

Guest Gary Crutcher

No need Gary! I finally got mine yesterday and frankly I think it is a beauty! Bosh.

THe chainfire root solution is already out. I have not got around to doing it yet. Just making sure everything is working properly first.

I have already done the ChainfIre root on my wife's SGS3 and it works great. Waiting to get my Blue Pebble phone.

The version I will post has: CWM and root. You can use CWM to install it.

Guest Bisonator

Hi All

Received my SGS3 on Thursday evening and have been experimenting gleefully ever since!

So far used Chainfire's CF-Root v6.0 and now v6.1 and indie's Omega v40 and now v4.1 ROM. Both very straightforward if you follow instructions on XDA forums. Still lots you can strip out of the already-trimmed Omega ROMs using Titanium backup though. Apex launcher all the way too btw. ;)

I thought my HTC Desire was ace 2 years ago, but this handset is something else entirely. Absolutely brilliant!!!

Have fun! :)

Guest rferrett

It really is a beast of a phone.

One thing I really like is the battery life. For once a smart phone that pretty much gets me through the day.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Finally got my phone.

Will test my customized rom tonight an add some more mods. Will try to post by this Saturday or Sunday if not sooner.

As stated earlier...it will be rooted with current CF CWM, crt effect, 15 button QP, battery icons with %, etc.

Guest JasonKenny

FYI - Franco Kernle now released for S3, ClockworkMod and Mobile Odin all up and working, Firmware update yesterday and a thriving ROM modding community now active. The icing on the cake is that Supercurio just about to release voodoo sound......

Can't believe that Paul is not up there with the action on this beast of a phone !

Where are you Paul ?!

Guest danny19901

Chainfire root 6.2 also works on XXALF2 the latest firmware from samsung for SGS3 I9300 just thought i would let you's know also some of the custom roms are ok but nothing special i have tried OMEGA, auroma and few others but i went back to stock with root etc... and flashed beats audio and added bravia engine and stuff my self also XLOUD and overclocked it to 1.8GHZ Processor :D

Guest Gary Crutcher

Chainfire root 6.2 also works on XXALF2 the latest firmware from samsung for SGS3 I9300 just thought i would let you's know also some of the custom roms are ok but nothing special i have tried OMEGA, auroma and few others but i went back to stock with root etc... and flashed beats audio and added bravia engine and stuff my self also XLOUD and overclocked it to 1.8GHZ Processor

Hi Danny,

The reason not many mods have been done it that Samsung made some major changes to the code and how they are built.

I am still having problems trying to rebuild SecSettings.apk. A tremendous number of errors even without any mods.

Framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk seem ok to rebuild, but CRT off is not working based on the way everyone does it.

I should have more time this weekend to fix the problems I am having.

I do have a SystemUI.apk with the % battery mod which is working ok.

• 2 months later...
Guest cwg1993

Ok so all of you really know yourvstuff. I have my S3 and have nobidea what being rooted or not is all about. Sounds like you can really get more out of your S3 so can someone bear with me and coach me along? Tried the apk patch for Google but still cannot get it to run. Sorry for being thevrookie here but I like to know how things work. Thanks.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Ok so all of you really know yourvstuff. I have my S3 and have nobidea what being rooted or not is all about. Sounds like you can really get more out of your S3 so can someone bear with me and coach me along? Tried the apk patch for Google but still cannot get it to run. Sorry for being thevrookie here but I like to know how things work. Thanks.

Ok...rooting means giving read/write access to folders/directories which you would normally only have read access. For example, /system. What this means is that you can use programs like Titanium Backup to backup up everything, not just the apps you have installed. It also allows you to do things that could cause you phone to no longer work properly or even boot up.

There are 3 ways you can get root: 1) install an application which installs Superuser.apk in /system and the su binary in /system/xbin; flash Chainfire's recovery.img which includes root; or 3) flash a custom ROM which has root already installed.

Chainfire's link is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1695238

Read the instructions carefully.

If you have any other questions, you can post here.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Is there a way to tell if you root if your phone will still boot?

Rooting adds 2 files: Superuser.apk and su.

These files are not involved in the booting process. If you do not want root after installing these files, delete them.