San Diego Livestream

Guest Rem1x

Guest Rem1x

I'm possibly going to pick one of these up tonight, so if anyone has some questions, I'll be setting up a livestream where I can show you all live.

(if that'd interest you guys, that is :))

Edited by Rem1x

Guest Rem1x

I'm just going to use this thread to document my findings. Here's a screenshot of ADW EX running. It's a bit. Off. Very smooth though. Screen is so lovely, feels and looks 10x than the once high end Atrix!

Image%202012-06-06%20at%205.45.27%20PM.png

Guest NeostarNeko

Hope it can be rooted, I'm already wondering if it's possible to dual boot windows on this, it'd be crazy epic XD

Guest Rem1x

Hope it can be rooted, I'm already wondering if it's possible to dual boot windows on this, it'd be crazy epic XD

When we're rooted, I'm going to try Virtual Box in Ubuntu :D

Guest NeostarNeko

By the way have you tried using other headphones on this, for example ones that are HTC and iPhone compatible, what do they sound like, do they work properly?

Guest Rem1x

By the way have you tried using other headphones on this, for example ones that are HTC and iPhone compatible, what do they sound like, do they work properly?

I've only got a pair of bog standard sennheiser at the moment, but they're pretty good, not quite as loud as the ZuneHD, but that's a given, still very good!

Guest Rem1x

can you please tell me how well skype and google hangouts work using front facing camera?

Feel like adding me on skype, so I can test it out?

blackal1ce

Guest Rem1x

unfortunately on the playbook. no skype or google hangouts :(

Well all I've been able to gather is my internet connection is dire. When I click FFC on the phone, my computer starts trying to load something, but also complains about bandwidth. So I'll have to try and find a willing partner!

Guest Rem1x

Ok it appears it works, on Skype, but I only have a mobile connection at the moment, so it was a bit dodgy. I'd say yes to FFC in Skype though!

Guest NeostarNeko

What is the battery performance like on this, will it last a day? I have read somewhere that the Intel processor will throttle itself when not in use (stand by) but when it comes to actually using the device for playing video it will use more power causing the battery to drain quick :mellow:

Can you if possible from a fully charged battery set a video to play on loop and see how long it takes before it shutdown or starts complaining about low battery? try using a video file that the default video player can play please thanks :)

Guest Sonny Atwal

i like the idea of this phone, fast cpu/gpu, decent screen, decent camera's, cheap, etc.

the only thing's missing are sim unlock (essential) and custom roms, ideally i'm looking to upgrade at around christmas time, hopefully by then we will have a nice selection of fully stable roms's.

until then, i dont think many are going to be interested in this phone, unless they are on orange or t mobile already.

interested to see how this stacks up against a Monte Carlo, better in every way apart from slightly smaller screen i would think

can you take a few comparison shots with other mobile phones? borrow your friends and families for 2 mins and take quick snap, so we can see it beside another phone

Edited by Sonny Atwal

Guest Simon O

What is the battery performance like on this, will it last a day? I have read somewhere that the Intel processor will throttle itself when not in use (stand by) but when it comes to actually using the device for playing video it will use more power causing the battery to drain quick :mellow:

Can you if possible from a fully charged battery set a video to play on loop and see how long it takes before it shutdown or starts complaining about low battery? try using a video file that the default video player can play please thanks :)

T3 did this and got 202minutes out of a full battery by looping video. Although I do suspect they used a player than was using software decoding as they mentioned the CPU running 100% and getting hot. If you use MoboPlayer with the x86 add-on then it should be a lot better

Review from T3: http://www.t3.com/reviews/orange-san-diego-review

Guest iam_smithers

interested to see how this stacks up against a Monte Carlo, better in every way apart from slightly smaller screen i would think

There isn't really much competition tbh, and in my experience the San Diego stomps all over the Monte Carlo. For a start, the San Diego has flash and iPlayer (the lack of which drove me to ditch the Monte Carlo as my main phone in the first place) and it's far faster and smoother all round. The screen size difference is sort of noticeable but it isn't a massive issue and I kind of think the higher resolution of the San Diego mostly makes up for the lower size. The extra £80 gives you vastly more phone.

None of that is to say the Monte Carlo is a bad phone, but nowadays for what it is it's way overpriced (the Huawei G300 has a more powerful processor and can do flash for £19 less than the Monte Carlo costs) and it's simply not as good.

Guest iam_smithers

Pretty much. Certainly it isn't worth the money they charge for it now when you can get the G300 for £100, and I think they are being a bit cheeky in keeping the price of both the OMC and the San Fran II at the same level when the G300 costs the same and the San Diego is far better and costs £80-90 more.