122 replies to this topic

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7

The Atrix 4G came with a totally unusable FM Radio. Bit of a strange one that.

That makes a touch more sense as I think they have to pay more tax on it with fm radio, similar to why most cameras have 29min limit iirc

Shahmatt

Shahmatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G2 (6577), OSF, E51

For equal prices I'd get the Razr Maxx every time. That's going to be twice the price over here though from what I've seen.

Thanks. It definitely looks like a good phone. But the screen is a tad less sharp and also the processor much slower, but maybe good enough.

No FM Radio - deal breaker for me. Why should I need to carry 2 portable devices nowadays? Pathetic omission.

Ack! Gasp! I could not live without my FM radio!

Where is this promised land (...of droid :P)?

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. The Razr Maxx is just avialable to me for about the same since I have points accummulated through my line service provider, which I can redeem to get the phone for a lower price. I am in Singapore.

How much is the Razr Maxx in the UK btw for pay as you go?

Edited by Shahmatt, 07 June 2012 - 02:39 AM.

probals

probals

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@probals
This is sold in India as the Xolo X900, which come at ~260 gbp, SIM free. So, at 200 gbp this is a great buy.

Paul,

Any idea if both these phone are identical in all respects, as in will potential roots / ROMs be interchangable?

For the unlock / unbranding will the dump from the Xolo help. I don't have one, but a friend works at the company.

P

OSF user living in India
ROM: Eco CM9; SD Card: 16 GB San Disk Class 10; Network: Airtel (India) 3G/2G; Using since: Dec '10
Other devices: Nexus 7 (Stock, Rooted)

hecatae

hecatae

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,201 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i9305
  • Twitter:@meritez
anyone found a xolo x900 gingerbread release rom?

Rem1x

Rem1x

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5 // Hudl // One X
  • Twitter:@__foy

This is sold in India as the Xolo X900, which come at ~260 gbp, SIM free. So, at 200 gbp this is a great buy.

Paul,

Any idea if both these phone are identical in all respects, as in will potential roots / ROMs be interchangable?

For the unlock / unbranding will the dump from the Xolo help. I don't have one, but a friend works at the company.

P

Don't take this for sure, I think externally the phones are different but internally they are the same. I'd wait for some one to confirm. I'd imagine it'd be similar to the ZTE Blade situation.

Posted Image
Posted Image

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Paul,

P

No. The Xolo X900 is identified as a different device to the San Diego in terms of ROMs so it would most likely need it's own forum somewhere.

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

anyone found a xolo x900 gingerbread release rom?

Yes, but it won't flash to the San Diego as it's a different device. Even though they are from the same reference platform, the San Diego is AZ210A and the Xolo X900 is AZ510. The ROMs don't install.

Coincidently there is also the AZ210B which is the French version of the San Diego.

Rem1x

Rem1x

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Yes, but it won't flash to the San Diego as it's a different device. Even though they are from the same reference platform, the San Diego is AZ210A and the Xolo X900 is AZ510. The ROMs don't install.

Coincidently there is also the AZ210B which is the French version of the San Diego.

Maybe with some slight modifications you could get them to flash. HTC Desire, HTC HD2 and Nexus One ROMs were very similar and would run on each other with little hassle.

Posted Image
Posted Image

flibblesan

flibblesan

Token Northern bloke

• Assistant Admin Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,638 posts

Maybe with some slight modifications you could get them to flash. HTC Desire, HTC HD2 and Nexus One ROMs were very similar and would run on each other with little hassle.

Of course, if we have root and a customer recovery image then we could flash the other roms once they are re-packaged. Just can't flash them as stock. Stock roms are updating firmware as well as the rom.. dangerous.

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Forgot to say I love the review, and this does look a serious piece of kit.

Thanks. It definitely looks like a good phone. But the screen is a tad less sharp and also the processor much slower, but maybe good enough.

How much is the Razr Maxx in the UK btw for pay as you go?

Are you going by the processor speeds or benchmarks? If just the speeds remember the Maxx has two cores.

Can't find the Maxx on pay&go atm, but it's £412 sim freee at amazon, which oddly beats the £450 for the non-Maxx version at carphone on pay&go.

Shahmatt

Shahmatt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • Devices:Jiayu G2 (6577), OSF, E51

Forgot to say I love the review, and this does look a serious piece of kit.

Are you going by the processor speeds or benchmarks? If just the speeds remember the Maxx has two cores.

Can't find the Maxx on pay&go atm, but it's £412 sim freee at amazon, which oddly beats the £450 for the non-Maxx version at carphone on pay&go.

Hmmm yes, the Razr should have an edge I guess.

400+ pounds is pretty heavy! :-o

@ Paul. Yes thanks very much for the review. I've been thoroughly informed!

k0nrad

k0nrad

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 4, Nexus 7
  • Twitter:@k0nfuse

Hmmm yes, the Razr should have an edge I guess.

I see what you did there! ;)

NeostarNeko

NeostarNeko

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Devices:Huawei U8800
  • Twitter:@NeostarNeko
Just wandered into the local Orange shop and wow it's good, though it's kinda small :huh:

I asked one of the numby staff if there will be a white version he said no :(

Personally I hope there will be a white one as that is when I might buy one :)

Edited by NeostarNeko, 07 June 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image
..:: Huawei U8800 ::..
..:: Recovery: CWM-based Recovery 5.0.2.7 ::..
..:: Rom:
Android 2.3.5 - Stock (rooted) ::..
..:: Kernel:
2.6.35.7 :: Partitions: Stock ::..
..:: Google+ :: Grab Free Space in the Clouds!! ::..

i am not a hacker

i am not a hacker

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade and Orange San Diego
The last con is 'No 3rd party SIM unlock'. Is that currently or permanent? So in a few months time will an unlock be most likely available to, say, T-Mobile? I can only get this if I can use it on T-Mobile and that will be in August.

Nexus 10
Orange San Diego

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

The last con is 'No 3rd party SIM unlock'. Is that currently or permanent? So in a few months time will an unlock be most likely available to, say, T-Mobile? I can only get this if I can use it on T-Mobile and that will be in August.

If you read more of it you'd see it already works on t-mobile

TomByrne94

TomByrne94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:LG Optimus Black
I could get the San Diego or the SGS2 both at £15.50 a month with the same contract. Which would you recommend? What other phones would you say I should get over the San Diego at the £15.50/pm price point?

tilal6991

tilal6991

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,781 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate, Huawei U8150
Sgs2 all the way. The san Diego is a great phone but no way is it good enough to top the gs2.

If you like my work or if I helped, click the Plus button.

mo_sjo

mo_sjo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy SIII
Could this be a reasonable upgrade from the original Nexus One? Slightly larger, similar weight, better screen (well higher resolution). I'm wondering if the CPU is likely to be faster though, 1.6ghz x86 vs 1ghz ARM?

I don't really like the huge size of the HTC One X, S3 etc. I just want something a bit faster (newer apps are bogging the N1 down these days). I also don't like the £500+ price tags!!

Samsung Galaxy SIII < Google Nexus One < HTC Rose < HTC Touch Diamond < BenQ E72 < HTC Vox < Motorola V3 < Sony Ericsson T610 < Sony Ericsson T61 < HTC Hurricane < HTC Typhoon < More phones than I care to remember!

cjp40

cjp40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:HTC HD Touch
Does anyone know if Orange Signal Boost works on the San Diego, this is crucial to me due to poor signal at the office

Rem1x

Rem1x

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Does anyone know if Orange Signal Boost works on the San Diego, this is crucial to me due to poor signal at the office

Not by default, but what I can tell you can get it in with root. It might come with the ICS update though, who knows?

Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users