A few bits

Guest pritsey

Guest pritsey

Hi all,

This maybe because I'm new to Android, but I'm trying to add my picture to the SMS app. Where I have pictures for contacts (eg the wife), her pic shows in messages from her, but my replies just have a blank box - is there anyway to change this?

Also battery life seems pretty dire. I turn off wifi & gps when not at home, keep widgets to a minium, use launcher pro instead of stock. I don't think I'm doing anything hugely different to how I used my iphone, but find that I'm having to charge at least a couple of times a day. Any ideas?

Other than that, I get some slow downs now and then, but at the price point, I can't moan about that to much!

Thanks

Craig

Guest Davidoff59

Dire battery. 24 hours here very easily and I use my phone for everything. Laptop is gathering dust lol. I reckon some app is keeping the phone awake or regularly contacting a server.

Are you on the stock rom by any chance, if so there are better roms available here.

I am using Kiri R1 by Raverr, should be on Modaco but can't see it at the moment but try a search.

Guest droiddruid

Inside the SMS app itself you press menu soft key (the one at bottom left) to open settings. Once in there you should see 'My Picture' settings.

Regarding battery I have no issues here with an over night charge usually good enough to see me through the next day. Maybe you have things like face book, email, twitter etc. set to check for updates every 2 minutes or it gets a lot of use because its like a new toy? I dunno :-)

I am using the Kiri rom too, the thread was among the pinned threads and now I don't see that thread at all. It vanished?

Edited by droiddruid

Guest pritsey

Inside the SMS app itself you press menu soft key (the one at bottom left) to open settings. Once in there you should see 'My Picture' settings.

Regarding battery I have no issues here with an over night charge usually good enough to see me through the next day. Maybe you have things like face book, email, twitter etc. set to check for updates every 2 minutes or it gets a lot of use because its like a new toy? I dunno :-)

I am using the Kiri rom too, the thread was among the pinned threads and now I don't see that thread at all. It vanished?

Thank you! SMS app sorted :-)

I do have facebook and facebook messenger installed. I get FB messages pretty much like a "push" notification if you know what I mean?FB refresh is set to 1 hour.

I do use Light Flow for all my notifications, any idea if this drains battery lots?

Guest FlatPackPete

When your battery is running low go into settings > about phone > battery usage and it will show what has been using the most about of battery. Most of the time on mine it's android system (basically the operating system) but if facebook or light flow is taking too much time it will show as it's own entry.

Guest RussellS

I use light flow and I can't say I've noticed any increased battery drain. Like Davidoff59 said, I use my phone for everything now all day. I'm regularly web surfing, Facebooking, checking eBay and browsing these forums and posting as well as phone calls and texting. I put my phone on charge every night and it lasts the whole of the next day (and I do mean the whole of the day generally from 7.30am to midnight) and I've never known my battery to drop below 20%.

As already suggested, check your battery usage when it has dropped quite low and see what is using it all up.

Guest pritsey

Yep, stick ROM, removed bloatware, added a couple of bits. Screen is on auto brightness, just seems that battery needs charging twice a day.

Guest RussellS

Well, I took mine off charge this morning at around 7.30am and I have been using it all day and it is currently on 65% at 11.45pm

Guest pritsey

Well, I took mine off charge this morning at around 7.30am and I have been using it all day and it is currently on 65% at 11.45pm

Holy crud! What are you using it for? What do you have running?

Guest RussellS

Holy crud! What are you using it for? What do you have running?

I'm running the B888 rom, I have quite a few widgets running on the homescreens that update regularly, and I've been using the Facebook app a fair bit today as well as Tapatalk to check in and post on these forums and then just some regular web browsing. Oh, and a few phone calls and text messages. It hasn't had really heavy usage today but just steady.

Why did you sound surprised at 65%. Were you surprised at how much battery it had used or how little.

Guest RussellS

How little it has used!

I'm on the 885 rom, maybe this is the difference?

Maybe. Oh and I always leave the WiFi & Bluetooth on all the time. The only thing I turn off when not required is the GPS.

Guest RussellS

I may look into getting the 888 rom. Did you update manually?

Yes I updated it manually. I initially updated it OTA to B885 to fix the speaker volume and then I updated manually to B888 a short while later.

Of course, the 885 rom still has all the Vodafone bloatware on it and I don't know if any of that could be using up the battery unnecessarily whereas the 888 has no vodafone stuff on it at all.

Guest pritsey

I've deleted the bloarware manually, but if nothing change then I'll think about going to 888. I'll monitor today and post up the usage later on.

Thanks

Guest Pondlife

Using the standard rom on partners phone minus the bloat but think it updated itself to 886 rather than 885, not getting anywhere near that bad battery life. Far closer to RussellS than pritseys.

The battery life was one of the things that's impressed me most about the phone tbh.

Guest pritsey

Battery life doesn't seem too bad today actually. Currently at 64% (@ 5pm), took off charge at 7:30am.

I tried using camera360 a couple of times today and it's showing as having used 8% of the battery! I only took about 4 pictures with it...

Guest Davidoff59

Correct pondlife, I had to explain this to someone before who was complaining that android operating system was using 60% of his battery.

Guest Davidoff59

Correct pondlife, I had to explain this to someone before who was complaining that android operating system was using 60% of his battery.

Guest pritsey

I knew it was only a %age of what had been used thus far as everything adds up to 100% :-) it was really the fact that using an app for such a small amount of time contributes to such a large drain.

I have noticed that taking lots of pictures drains the battery quite a lot. I took loads the other night and the battery took a real hammering in a short time.