Opinion: Why should i get this when i can get better second hand?

Guest the1stman

Guest the1stman

Im in the market for a new phone. The 100 price mark is where im aiming and this phone is looking pretty sweet.

The problem is that Ive been looking on ebay and a few local classifieds and noticed that for 100 I could get a decent condition Atrix or Galaxy S plus (9001). (or others, but I like my screens to be under 4" so these stand out for me)

On paper these phones look better than the G300, but are obviously last years models.

Could someone please advise.

Thanks

Guest timfimjim

Well it's up to you. Compare specs of the phones you are interested in, look to see whether ICS will be coming to those (if that's something you're interested in). Everyone has different opinions so it's best to make your own mind up.

Personally, I would recommend this phone, if that's what you're after. Good luck with your choice :)

Guest NeostarNeko

Also buying secondhand means there is always an element of risk, you don't know for sure where it's been, if it was stolen or even worse faulty as there will most likely be no warranty

Guest Chrisund123

If nobody bought new, then the 2nd hand market would dry up pretty quickly lol.

Basically, buy what takes your fancy for your price range. My current phone (desire hd) was second hand - nearly new, but still 2nd hand. Still going strong 18 months later.

Guest RussellS

I would say that if you can get either of the phones you mention for £100 then go for it. However, I've just searched eBay and they all seem to be £200+. The only ones I could see for around £100 were faulty for spares/repair.

On a side note, I wouldn't touch a Motorola phone with a barge pole after the problems my son and quite a few of his mates have had with Motorola devices. They seem very solidly built but they have all been very unreliable and the support from Motorola has been atrocious.

Guest the1stman

@RussellS, here are two that I found. Atrix and the Galaxy S. I had not though that service from such a 'big name' company could be that bad, but then again i always like to fiddle with things until they work again, so I dont often call support.

@Chrisund123, Isnt it good that not everyone buys 2nd hand, that way theres always a bargain when im looking :D

Ive never owned a new phone, either a hand-me-down from a family member, or something off ebay. Never had any serious problems. (Other than when i was sold a fake Iphone, but paypal covered my losses so no harm done :P )

@timfilmjim, I would assume the G300 will be getting ICS through custom rom, if not from the manufacturer. If your on this forum obviously you would recomend this phone. But I was hoping for some reasons as why its physically better. Assuming that I dont buy a broken 2nd hand phone, are there any features or qualities that make the G300 better than an Atrix, or Galaxy S?

Guest razzmataz1478

@RussellS, here are two that I found. Atrix and the Galaxy S. I had not though that service from such a 'big name' company could be that bad, but then again i always like to fiddle with things until they work again, so I dont often call support.

@Chrisund123, Isnt it good that not everyone buys 2nd hand, that way theres always a bargain when im looking :D

Ive never owned a new phone, either a hand-me-down from a family member, or something off ebay. Never had any serious problems. (Other than when i was sold a fake Iphone, but paypal covered my losses so no harm done :P )

@timfilmjim, I would assume the G300 will be getting ICS through custom rom, if not from the manufacturer. If your on this forum obviously you would recomend this phone. But I was hoping for some reasons as why its physically better. Assuming that I dont buy a broken 2nd hand phone, are there any features or qualities that make the G300 better than an Atrix, or Galaxy S?

The G300 is getting official ics

Guest Davidoff59

Huawei are releasing Ics and cm9 is being done by Tilal and others.

The atrix has dual core and a bigger battery. It also has hsupa.

Its all your own choice really. The atrix would be better for multi tasking with its dual core.

I would do a site comparison where you can compare phone specs side by side and go from there.

Guest RussellS

Wow, I didn't see those ones. I stand corrected.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

If you can get a higher-specced 2nd hand phone for the same price as a G300 and you are happy with the risks of buying used goods then I would say go for it. I take great care of my phones and like them to always look as good as the day I bought them. ALL 2nd hand phones I have bought have sported scratches and scuffs that irritate me. It probably doesn't matter to most others; it's only superficial and doesn't affect the function of the device in any way (unless it's damage to the screen or buttons). The main drawback of 2nd hand phones, though, is that often the batteries are not in the best condition so you may well have to add the cost of a replacement to the overall price. I also bought a 2nd hand Sony Ericsson a couple of years back and the navigational joystick quickly became intermittently unresponsive in certain directions, but only after I had already left feedback.

That said, there are bargains to be had for those prepared to take the risk. To me, £100 is an awful lot of money and I would rather have the reassurance of knowing the device I buy with it will be in top condition, backed by a warranty.

Guest RussellS

That said, there are bargains to be had for those prepared to take the risk. To me, £100 is an awful lot of money and I would rather have the reassurance of knowing the device I buy with it will be in top condition, backed by a warranty.

The trouble is, we get the G300 brand new with a warranty and then procede to root it, install CWM, load a custom rom and invalidate the said warranty especially if, like me, you install the Huawei B888 rom which makes it difficult to get back to stock again. :)

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

The trouble is, we get the G300 brand new with a warranty and then procede to root it, install CWM, load a custom rom and invalidate the said warranty especially if, like me, you install the Huawei B888 rom which makes it difficult to get back to stock again. :)

Fair comment. I think most of us are using this forum because we are prepared to invalidate the warranty through root and custom ROMs.

Guest RussellS

Fair comment. I think most of us are using this forum because we are prepared to invalidate the warranty through root and custom ROMs.

Absolutely. That's why I wouldn't get a phone like the San Diego for instance. At £100 I'm prepared to take the risk and have a little fun with the phone loading new roms and making it perform better than it did originally. However if I spent £200 I wouldn't be prepared to risk it and wouldn't have so much fun.

Guest the1stman

Thanks for all the response. I think i will continue to search ebay, and If i cant find anything Ill just head to a local Vodaphone store to get a feel for the phone.