The San Diego hacking topic - root progress etc.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest BlueMoonRising

I'm guessing this is just another way to root an unpatched phone. I'm also presuming it won't work at all with a patched rom?

Treat with caution if you need your phone and don't have an alternative.

• 2 months later...

As per this post, it is in fact possible to mostly regain root after applying the 58MB patch - although this requires either advance planning or a willingness to revert temporarily from the patched ROM to stock ICS.  I say "mostly" because eu.chainfire.adbd won't patch adbd, presumably because it was updated in the patch and the delta it contains wouldn't apply cleanly any more.

EDIT -- for anyone who doesn't know, eu.chainfire.adbd is the "insecure adbd" app used as part of the AIO tools process

FURTHER EDIT:  In the case of one already having updated with the 58MB patch, the process also requires either a willingness to work blind or the necessary hardware for HDMI display, because reverting to stock ICS will mess the screen up until one applies the patch again.

STILL MORE EDITS WOO: Regaining root properly turns out to be as simple as copying su and busybox to /system/bin as well as /system/xbin.  Some of the things we're used to having from the AIO toolkit will bootloop the phone - the only one I've found so far is the "both SD cards" option, but I haven't tried much yet.  Go careful.  Note that there are two ways out of such a bootloop and both involve reverting to stock ICS (fastboot and having the update.zip already on the USB storage).  That said, it's not so much of a pain this time if you've left /config/reroot intact, because you can use the exact same technique to apply the 58MiB patch (if you grabbed it from /cache/fota - it's a .bin file but it's still a ZIP archive) without caring about having HDMI output, and then redo the reroot.

Edited by Darael

• 3 months later...
Guest Frankie Po

Hello, guys,

I tried to install android 4.0. But now I don't have access to recovery/fastboot or firmware. I just see for a moment in Device Manager "MEDFIELD" and that's all. While bootting, my phone has colorful strapes from purple to gray, but nothing happening. How can I recover phone? Do you know or have any suggestions? How can I enter fastboot? 

P.S. Long-press Power + Volup buttons don't help, neither do "fastboot devices" or "fastboot continue". They don't recognize my phone :'C

Guest BlueMoonRising

Hello, guys,

I tried to install android 4.0. But now I don't have access to recovery/fastboot or firmware. I just see for a moment in Device Manager "MEDFIELD" and that's all. While bootting, my phone has colorful strapes from purple to gray, but nothing happening. How can I recover phone? Do you know or have any suggestions? How can I enter fastboot? 

P.S. Long-press Power + Volup buttons don't help, neither do "fastboot devices" or "fastboot continue". They don't recognize my phone :'C

http://www.modaco.com/topic/362574-solved-problem-of-screen-flashing-different-colors-after-flashing-updatezip-after-installing-37mb-or-12mb-update-on-xolo-ics-rom/