warning about Potterunlock making G300 unusable

Guest Smiff2

Guest Smiff2

my phone was getting stuck in a kind of boot loop where it cycles between the lock screen and the ANDROID shimmer text logo endlessly.

easiest way out of this is to slide down to the camera, then go home and the home loads normally. might take a few attempts to get it before it "reboots".

- not related to choice of launcher (tried ADW and Go)

- probably related to the way potterunlock tries to read missed messages/calls for notification icons as this only started happening when it showed a "phantom" missed sms (i use Go SMS, may be relevant).

for now i have frozen potterunlock with titanium.

so yeah.. be warned, some nasty bug in potterunlock i think!

Could this be the cause of the some of the G300 returns we hear about?!

Edited by Smiff2

Guest Davidoff59

Returned my first phone as phone kind of froze.The phone was stuck on the lockscreen and would not go into the phone.Its like it selected unlock and then froze but it sounds like yours without the bootloop.

This is exactly what happened to my cousin,his g300 was stuck on potterunlock.I had to do an update.app to recover it.

I delete potterunlock and use stock android lockscreen so do not experience this.

Guest FrankieADZ

after seeing so many people have problems with it, ive just gone and uninstalled it, its never gave me any problems tbh but i think Im going to go "better safe than sorry"

Guest FrankieADZ

If you are using TillazMod the lockscreen is ics style,looks so much better

yeah i do :)

just cant find the right font tho, i got Roboto...but on the lockscreen its the thicker roboto numbers not the slimmer ones :( dam

tried a few zip files and they dont work, only thing that works is font installer. dam dam dam lol

*OCD...yes much lol

Guest Smiff2

after seeing so many people have problems with it, ive just gone and uninstalled it, its never gave me any problems tbh but i think Im going to go "better safe than sorry"

was going to recommend this. didn't know it was already known. Freeze or remove it before it bites you (must be rooted i think)

could be the cause of some of the G300s being returned?

someone should report this Huawei or whoever maintains potterunlock?

Edited by Smiff2

Guest FrankieADZ

was going to recommend this. didn't know it was already known. Freeze or remove it before it bites you (must be rooted i think)

could be the cause of some of the G300s being returned?

someone should report this Huawei or whoever maintains potterunlock?

yeah you need to root your phone to either uninstall or Freeze(Titanium Backup). i have uninstalled it.

I liked it myself but rather safe than sorry as i said :)

Guest Davidoff59

The phone is rendered unusable when lock screen goes wonky so the only way would be via adb. Even a battery pull would not fix it as it just booted up and got stuck again.

Guest Smiff2

nah mine is workaroundable, just, as i posted you can access the camera then the launcher if you time it right. would rather not risk messing though sorry as the phone wasn't for me, have just disabled for now.

Guest Davidoff59

I don't get how the bug is still active after a battery pull. I let mine rest for a few hours with no battery and still could not get past lock screen. When I eventually got into phone, the severe lag was still present so I assumed it was hardware related. Flashed stock rom and it was still really bad

Guest Smiff2

sounds like different bug there? i didn't see much lag (other than normal lag after first unlock after a new boot). it almost straght away would seem to reboot, load the lockscreen, reboot and so on.

Edited by Smiff2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jadis

I'm reading lots about a potential problem with potter lock and would like to remove it. I'm not that clued up with android so can I ask can someone give a step by step on the correct proceedure to remove it? and if I did, would some other unlock take over or do I need install one?

Thanks..

Guest Davidoff59

No need to remove it, just use a different lockscreen. if your rooted, then backup and remove and the stock android lockscreen is used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Hogweed

I just had the standard PotterUnlock screen freeze but I doubt it was the cause. I renamed PotteruUnlock.apk with adb and rebooted. But this just gave me a stuck stock lock screen this time. At this point I decided to do a backup before going further and rebooted into recovery only to find the screen and capacitive buttons not working there either. Pulled battery and rebooted. Everything fine again. Never seen this happen before. I was playing with Holo Launcher and Holo Lock but had switched back to stock PotterUnlock with Holo Launcher and rebooted when the screen/buttons froze.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Davidoff59

So you have never seen it before but you just switch back to potter unlock and it freezes, and doubt its the cause?

This issue is very very rare on here now, as its widely advised to freeze potter unlock. If it was something else, surely more members would be reporting these freezes. Good you got it sorted though as its a horrible bug.

Guest Hogweed

So you have never seen it before but you just switch back to potter unlock and it freezes, and doubt its the cause?

This issue is very very rare on here now, as its widely advised to freeze potter unlock. If it was something else, surely more members would be reporting these freezes. Good you got it sorted though as its a horrible bug.

I've used PotterUnlock for nearly three months without seeing the problem (but had seen the posts mentioning it). It was only after I started playing with other launchers and lock screens that I saw the problem when I returned to PotterUnlock. The fact that it required a battery pull/reboot suggests the problem is deeper in firmware although PotterUnlock and/or combination of something used previously may certainly trigger it.

There may of course be more than one issue. As I say even after removing PotterUnlock and rebooting (via adb) I had exactly the same problem with the stock lock screen. Battery pull/reboot fixed it and I've put back PottrUnlock for now. I'll try and see if I can reproduce it and will report back if I can find anything further.

I did not see a boot loop or anything as others have seen. Just a fully booted and running phone but with non-responsive screens and buttons. - even in CWM recovery the buttons didn't work.

Edited by Hogweed

Guest Davidoff59

sounds like the exact same reason that I returned my first phone. Battery pull would not fix the freeze though and lights worked intermittently. Even flashing back to stock and there were still issues with freezing lockscreen. I suspected cwm recovery but it did it on stock also