Guest fradleyp

For use with the San Diego

Best launcher:

Best browser:

Best gallery:

Music player:

Video player:

Anything else:

I used whatever my current ROM had on my San Fran, so I'm a bit new to having to choose

Guest Xenon0816

my personal favorites:

launcher: launcher pro or go launcher ex

browser: dolphin browser

gallery: stock android

music player: uber music

video player: never needed one, so the stock is fine

greetz

Guest dangerbizzla

For use with the San Diego

Best launcher: Before ICS ive always used LauncherPro so Ive gone back to that. Simple and reliable

Best browser: I tend to have more than one installed but at the mo its Dolphin HD for Wifi and Opera x86 for 3G. You can find a link in another topic for Opera

Best gallery: I'm a big fan of the stock one

Music player: SongBird. I dont really know whats the best music player

Video player: Got Mobo x86 (cheers Paul). Again, you can find a link for this in another topic. MX Player is a good substitute aswell

Anything else: GTA III works a charm. Destroy Gunners is a great action game. I do Recommend getting a Micro HDMI cable aswell. The ability to play Music/Games/Films directly on your phone on your T.V. is a treat especially going from something as limited as an Orange San Francisco.

Take note; Flash player is inbuilt, so you do not need to download it off the market. to access BBC iPlayer and 4OD simply go direct to the website in your prefered browser.

One Last thing. Has anyone got netflix to work?

• 3 months later...
Guest BlueMoonRising

Best launcher: Returned to Holo Launcher now, very slick and smooth. Tried EZ Launcher which is in 0.5 Beta and looks promising and Launcher Pro which is probably the quickest but sadly abandoned with widgets that no longer work :( . Used to be a fan of Go Launcher but it's just got too much bloat now and seems sluggish.

Best browser: After trying Opera Mini(no flash), Opera x86(seemed surprisingly choppy) and others I've returned to the stock browser which seems as quick as any with full support for flash.

Best gallery: Trying Quickpic simply because it starts off with a full crop for setting the wallpaper rather than fathing about with handles.

Music player:Got an iPod 80Gb classic so don't use.

Video player: Downloaded MoboPlayer for x86 but haven't used an awful lot yet.

Anything else: Power Toggles(I miss the CyanogenMod notification toggles) plus a separate Lock Screen toggle which cuts out the power button. Beautiful Widgets for clock/weather and Simple Calendar Free(displays your next 6 events in a widget).

Edit :- I forgot Go Dialer/Contacts and Go SMS which are always the first things to install on my phones and are excellent.

Edited by BlueMoonRising

Guest runhidesurvive

Annoyingly, Netflix always comes back with the 'package is invalid' error. I thought it might have been fixed with the recent update but it's still not happening. I've emailed their support people about it. If anything worthwhile comes back I'll post it here.

Best launcher: ADW.Ex Launcher. Paid for, but worth the money, I've used it for over a year now, very customisable, very fast. Not sure if it'll make the cut when we eventually get ICS. It does have ICS presets, so I could make my phone look like ICS right now, but I don't want it to pretend to be something it's not. You can even replace the icons with this, so now I have a experience that looks 100% stock on my homescreen.

Best browser: Browser Guru. Not a 'browser' per say, but automatically launches Opera Mini when I'm on a slow 2G connection, and Dolphin HD when I'm on 3G or Wifi. Just one button on the homescreen, no messing about. Also opens links from e-mail etc with the correct browser. Such a beautifully simple but effective app. Love it.

Best gallery: Just using stock.

Music player: Never listen to music on my phone.

Video player: Stock. Tempted to try mxplayer.

Anything else:

3G Watchdog Pro - Stops me going over my usage limit for mobile data. Tells me which apps use the most data etc.

Juice Defender - Using the free version, I am able to save a fair bit of battery life with the "aggressive" profile, whilst still getting notifications and the like. Nothing in the paid version appealed to me, plus I can use AutomateIT to get most of the functionality that JuiceDefender Plus/Ultimate provides.

NFC Task Launcher - buggy at times and difficult to navigate, but once set up, it's pretty cool; tap the phone against a tag and perform an action. When I'm at work, and my phone is in my locker, I tap a tag in the locker to put it into airplane mode, which saves a ton of power, as it struggles to get a signal in there, which eats the battery somewhat. When I finally get my car holder set up, it will automatically put the phone into car dock mode, and will turn on bluetooth and turn off wifi...

AutomateIT Pro is a cracking app for making your phone Automate a lot of tasks. Currently it turns off WiFi when I'm not at home, puts on maximum brightness when my phone is plugged in, and silences notifications overnight.

Pulse is a brilliant news reader

BBC news is another good source of news

TED for good lectures

eBay, Amazon for shopping

Pocket - fantastic for saving things to 'read later' when on Wifi, home computer, or when I have more time.

Evernote

Tripadvisor

Our Groceries

Sygic - GPS Navigation

Glympse - Stops the missus phoning to ask where I am when I'm driving home.

Torque - For checking the state of my car's engine.

Easy Uninstaller - Gives you a list of installed apps that you can uninstall. This allows you to do batch uninstalls, which is a nice way of pruneing what you have installed quickly.

ConnectBot and AndroidVNC -- connecting to servers

• 1 month later...
Guest geoff1951

After going to Xolo a few weeks ago, I've been struggling to install Orange ICS so I've decided to stick with Xolo and have now got a clean install.

Reloading my apps the Orange contacts backup no longer works.

Seems I was one of the lucky ones fo a while, if the app store comments are anything to go by. So, what do others use? Thanks in advance.

Guest BlueMoonRising

After going to Xolo a few weeks ago, I've been struggling to install Orange ICS so I've decided to stick with Xolo and have now got a clean install.

Reloading my apps the Orange contacts backup no longer works.

Seems I was one of the lucky ones fo a while, if the app store comments are anything to go by. So, what do others use? Thanks in advance.

Wow, that's a lot of bad reviews. If you've got a gmail account they're backed up anyway, I've never used the Orange one.

Best launcher: Nova launcher with Teslaunread

Best browser: Dolphin Browser

Best gallery: Gallery ICS

Music player: Poweramp with ICS theme and widget

Video player: MXPlayer

Anything else: UCCW ,Smart screen on( tap and slide mode to protect power button), rom toolbax pro,ES explorer,

Edited by amaeli

Guest Simon O

Best launcher: Stock

Best browser: Chrome

Best gallery: Stock Android gallery from 4.0.4 Galaxy nexus ROM

Music player: Google Play Music

Video player: VLC

And I have one of these cases http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORANGE-SAN-DIEGO-CASE-COVER-LEATHER-PULL-TAB-POUCH-STYLUS-PEN-/261065195375?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=560138239132&hash=item3cc8b2bf6f

Guest geoff1951

Wow, that's a lot of bad reviews. If you've got a gmail account they're backed up anyway, I've never used the Orange one.

Yep, though the orange backup was working fine after my first Xolo ICS install (and I hadn't used it before then), it won't now. The orange website says their own ORANGE backup won't work with their own ORANGE phone....... you couldn't make it up.

I'm still trying to work out how to not get every contact showing three (or more) times. The orange one did work superbly. I say DID work...

Guest Simon O

I'm still trying to work out how to not get every contact showing three (or more) times. The orange one did work superbly. I say DID work...

Might be worth making a thread about this if you need any help but check your Google account for duplicates first.

As for backups.. this only works on ICS ROMs but you can use the built-in backup. You need to use adb though. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1420351

Guest geoff1951

Thanks flibblesan. First, I've decided to go back to basics for a few days - I'm going to RTFM. Then do a fair bit of housekeeping of google back-up files etc. I've only got about 56 contacts that i want on the phone, but ended up with over 400 on it last night. And I can't find a way of bulk deletion, so I think I need to re-learn the simple stuff.