Official Gary's ROM Discussion Thread

Guest Gary Crutcher

Guest Muloo

Dude, allready new release.....you'r fast!

Only thing is i can not find what you changed in this release

If i am correct you didn't it just an samsung update that you modded or am i wrong

Guest Gary Crutcher

Dude, allready new release.....you'r fast!

Only thing is i can not find what you changed in this release

If i am correct you didn't it just an samsung update that you modded or am i wrong

Yes, just a Samsung update I modded. All of the ROMs posted are Samsung updates with mods.

This one is pretty good. Seems a little faster than the previous versions. Both Quadrant and Antutu confirm this.

And...the brightness control in the QP pulldown works again.

Guest Muloo

Realy like your last release, smooth. Only downside for me is the lockscreen rotation, i like it to stay in the upright direction.

I have tryed the Cm9 rom but it misses all new features from the S3, happy to be back to gary's rom :-)

Guest Gary Crutcher

Realy like your last release, smooth. Only downside for me is the lockscreen rotation, i like it to stay in the upright direction.

I have tryed the Cm9 rom but it misses all new features from the S3, happy to be back to gary's rom :-)

Do you mean allow all rotations EXCEPT the lock screen?

Guest Muloo

Here is a new framework-res.apk without the lock screen rotation. For XXBLG8 Only.

Enjoy!

https://hotfile.com/...Rotate.zip.html

Thanks man, will install this first thing in the morning, phone is sharging now :D

One more Q, can i use your blue icons again on XXBLG8 ?

EDIT : Crome tells me the zip could be harmfull ... first time i get this ?

Edited by Muloo

Guest Gary Crutcher

Thanks man, will install this first thing in the morning, phone is sharging now :D

One more Q, can i use your blue icons again on XXBLG8 ?

EDIT : Crome tells me the zip could be harmfull ... first time i get this ?

It is a normal warning using a browser.

I will post the blue-icon files later today.

Edit: Here are the files - without lock screen rotation:

https://hotfile.com/dl/165366657/bf2f746/XXBLG8_BlueIcons.zip.html

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest Muloo

Thank man, just flashed it with rom manager. Works great!

I did not like the lockscreen rotation because the background would crop and don't look nice. Thanks again

Edited by Muloo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi there, no updates or tweaks?

I have just downloaded XXBLH1. Will be releasing it this weekend.

I now have an ASUS TF700T Transformer Infinity Tablet so I will be developing for that, too.

I have just downloaded XXBLH1. Will be releasing it this weekend.

I now have an ASUS TF700T Transformer Infinity Tablet so I will be developing for that, too.

Nice, i wounder what the changes will be >_>

Guest Gary Crutcher

I dont know if i'll flash it then.... they say JB will come verry soon

I guess you will have a play with it?

Keep up the good work! ;)

Have downloaded JellyBean. Will look at it tonight when I get home.

EDIT: Will pass on this version - too many problems after reading 50+ pages at xda-developers.

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Guest Gary Crutcher

Am uploading the lastest BETA of JellyBean (4.1.1).

It is a stock ROM. No changes.

You can try it and see what you think about it.

Will post link when uploaded.

Will be a CWM zip file.

EDIT: Link to JellyBean 4.1.1 This is a FULL WIPE ROM for International I9300 ONLY.

https://hotfile.com/dl/167814943/4a4074b/XXBLH4_Wipe.zip.html

After download, copy to internal sdcard.

1. Reboot into CWM

2. Do a nandroid backup

3. Factory Reset/Data Wipe

4. Install through CWM

5. Enjoy!

Edited by Gary Crutcher

Would be interested in how you are finding it Gary ? Have you encountered any issues ?

I am running JB that I got from here

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1704185

I did have some problems with this rom when comming from a custom ICS rom (TurkBey) even with a full wipe, but I then tried it comming from stock ICS and things were much better.

Still having a few issues with it myself. S-Note Lite just does not seem to want to run properly and was giving close messages at strange times. Diasabling it seem to sort this out. With ICS using the stock video player I could click on the 'allshare' icon and it would play the video to my samsung network connected telly. With JB it works but only for about 30 seconds and then allshare seems to crash. Before on ICS I was using an app called 'voice speed dialer' which I could access with double press on the home button. With JB I can not get this app to run via the double home button press any more (and thus not through long press on my bluetotth headset). Also Kies says I can not update with this rom as does the phone itself as it says it is 'modified'.

Overall though other than the small issues above it is running fine for me. It does feel a bit 'smooother' over all though it is not a massive difference to my eyes and mind from ICS. Some things like opening my contacts list is faster as far as I can tell and scrolling on long lists feels faster too.

For me the biggest drawback of JB over ICS right now is the lack of working flash, though this is not down to Google or Samsung really. I did try installing flash from titanium backup but it just crashes on JB using the stock browser or Dolphin. On ICS I could and did use bbc iplayer, ITV player 4oD and a site that uses flowplayer. On JB I can not view video on any of these. I know eventually they will all have to move to some alternative to flash but as of right now my choice seems to be JB with no access to bbc,itv or C4 online video content or ICS with it.

Anyway just thought I would post my experinces so far with JB on S3.

post-985091-0-05453700-1345367155_thumb.

Guest Gary Crutcher

Would be interested in how you are finding it Gary ? Have you encountered any issues ?

I am running JB that I got from here

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1704185

I did have some problems with this rom when comming from a custom ICS rom (TurkBey) even with a full wipe, but I then tried it comming from stock ICS and things were much better.

Still having a few issues with it myself. S-Note Lite just does not seem to want to run properly and was giving close messages at strange times. Diasabling it seem to sort this out. With ICS using the stock video player I could click on the 'allshare' icon and it would play the video to my samsung network connected telly. With JB it works but only for about 30 seconds and then allshare seems to crash. Before on ICS I was using an app called 'voice speed dialer' which I could access with double press on the home button. With JB I can not get this app to run via the double home button press any more (and thus not through long press on my bluetotth headset). Also Kies says I can not update with this rom as does the phone itself as it says it is 'modified'.

Overall though other than the small issues above it is running fine for me. It does feel a bit 'smooother' over all though it is not a massive difference to my eyes and mind from ICS. Some things like opening my contacts list is faster as far as I can tell and scrolling on long lists feels faster too.

For me the biggest drawback of JB over ICS right now is the lack of working flash, though this is not down to Google or Samsung really. I did try installing flash from titanium backup but it just crashes on JB using the stock browser or Dolphin. On ICS I could and did use bbc iplayer, ITV player 4oD and a site that uses flowplayer. On JB I can not view video on any of these. I know eventually they will all have to move to some alternative to flash but as of right now my choice seems to be JB with no access to bbc,itv or C4 online video content or ICS with it.

Anyway just thought I would post my experinces so far with JB on S3.

I was not too impressed. So, now I am back on XXBLH1 (ICS).

Adobe will no longer support Flash on Android after 4.0.X

I will wait til another release comes out that is smoother and a little more polished and has more bugs fixed.

Hi Gary,

I flashed your latest JB Rom (XXDLH7) with a full wipe. The only 2 issues to report:

1. weird high battery usage on process S Memo. I don't plan to use S Memo, so I'll probably just remove it.

2. Google now doesn't present cards automatically, but shows them if I enter google now.

Have you seen this during your testing?

Many thanks for your efforts.

-Dom

Guest Gary Crutcher

Hi Gary,

I flashed your latest JB Rom (XXDLH7) with a full wipe. The only 2 issues to report:

1. weird high battery usage on process S Memo. I don't plan to use S Memo, so I'll probably just remove it.

2. Google now doesn't present cards automatically, but shows them if I enter google now.

Have you seen this during your testing?

Many thanks for your efforts.

-Dom

I have not tested any of the Samsung apps as I have removed them.

I also have not tested Google Now.

Remember this is still a beta version - but - I am using it as a daily ROM.

So far no big issues.

I have not tested any of the Samsung apps as I have removed them.

I also have not tested Google Now.

So far no big issues.

Thank you for the response Gary. I have also now removed the samsung apps. I also found that Viber was causing the Android Core Apps process to drain the battery. I assume it was a bad restore from TitaniumBackup.

If anyone else is having this issue, removing Viber has resolved this, and I haven't re-installed yet. Will do so and let you know.

EDIT: Also, thank you for this work. I understand that it's beta, but it works fantastically so far.

EDIT 2: Removal and Re-install of Viber corrected the issue above.

Edited by DomP

So far no big issues.

Is it allready that good to use as a daily?

Hmmm, should i give it a try...

Is it allready that good to use as a daily?

Hmmm, should i give it a try...

I would definitely say so. Google Now has also started to work after a cache and dalvik wipe. (I did a full wipe before installing the rom)