Acer liquid metal (120)

Guest jordanjcm

Guest jordanjcm

I am super happy my phone. All I would really like is more Ram memory and to overclock the phone. Nothing crazy that "might" be hard on the phone or be full of bugs. I have rooted my phone. I have Spb shell (I love it). So once again I am very happy with my phone and I have it where I like it: except for the memory. Is there anything out there that is not full of bugs etc, that will simply give me more memory and up my cpu from the factory 800mhz?

I am new so I bet there are many threads on these topics but I can not seem to find "exactly" what I need so be nice. All I am is human.

Re-cap: boost the memory

boost the cpu Mhz

P.S. (I really love this phone and I think it is very unerated. Except finding a case seems impossible. I dropped my liquid E, twice, and I do NOT want to do that with this one. Anyone know where to buy a case to protect, in case of a drop?)

Please let me know an "honest" risk factor of making these changes.

I mean I am almost at the stage where I think my phone is perfect for me.

The last thing I want to do is brick it, break it or bring it back and buy a new one.

I am still learning and what I do I do very cautiously and I back up everything.

The "custom rom and overclocking" etc is where I am quite nervous.

Guest Mtman1

Ok. You won't get more ram. Ever.

About the overclocking, I assume you have clockwork mod installed as you rooted your phone. I would say for you to download technolovers kernel ( the latest ones fine. d/l link ). Once you've flashed this, install an app like no frills CPU or setcpu to overclock your phone.

As for the risk factor... there is literally no risk as long as you do a nandroid backup (the backup you make in clockworkmod) before flashing the kernel. Overclocking to an insane amount may make your phone too hot. Keep the overclocking to a minimal ( 1.200mhz maximum is ok)

Guest sakya

If you want you can create a swap partition, but is useless and your phone will be slower.

The TechnoLover's Kernel does not seem to support swap (it's not configured in the kernel).

If you try the command

swapon /yourSwapFile

you just get a "Function not implemented" error.

Btw if possible the "slow down" depends on the microsd speed and the "swappiness" you set.

Guest jordanjcm

Ok. You won't get more ram. Ever.

About the overclocking, I assume you have clockwork mod installed as you rooted your phone. I would say for you to download technolovers kernel ( the latest ones fine. d/l link http://www.modaco.co...n-14c-29032012/ ). Once you've flashed this, install an app like no frills CPU or setcpu to overclock your phone.

As for the risk factor... there is literally no risk as long as you do a nandroid backup (the backup you make in clockworkmod) before flashing the kernel. Overclocking to an insane amount may make your phone too hot. Keep the overclocking to a minimal ( 1.200mhz maximum is ok)

Thank you. Oh, when I typed Ram, I meant Rom. whoops. P.S. I have 'setcpu' and 'Rom manager' installed (clockworkmod) but thats is where my troubles began. It says "Acer Liquid Metal does not have an officially suported clockworkmod recovery yet." Then it says "have you installed a clockwork based recovery manually?" Thats where I am lost. LOL

Cheers

I have th

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jordanjcm

I wish there was a youtube video with a step by step procedure on installing a custom rom on an acer liquid metal. I mean I love my phone. I have it rooted. I find "titanium backup" pro is so awsome and has helped me free up space etc. I am just so nervous on taking the step of a custom rom. I am learning slowly and being very carful with everything I do. I mean you don't just "become" an expert. I just do not want to learn anything the hard way by bricking or f-ing up my phone in some way. If anyone reads this and knows a video for the liquid metal that is step by step, please let me know.

Cheers

Jordan

Guest geriatrix

Hi - I'm new to all this too. This forum has been a tremendous help to me and I can't thank the guys/girls involved enough.

I haven't gone as far as a new ROM (yet!), but I have solved the memory problem, for the time being anyway.

Your phone needs to be rooted. You then need to partition your SD card. Follow the procedure shown here:

http://androidsight.com/tutorial-sd-card-partition-for-swap-app-and-files.html

Install Link2SD from the Android Market as explained in the tutorial.

Using Link2SD create links for all your apps (except Link2SD) so that they are using the memory on the SD card, instead of the internal memory.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Guest Mtman1
I wish there was a youtube video with a step by step procedure on installing a custom rom on an acer liquid metal. I mean I love my phone. I have it rooted. I find "titanium backup" pro is so awsome and has helped me free up space etc. I am just so nervous on taking the step of a custom rom. I am learning slowly and being very carful with everything I do. I mean you don't just "become" an expert. I just do not want to learn anything the hard way by bricking or f-ing up my phone in some way. If anyone reads this and knows a video for the liquid metal that is step by step, please let me know.

Cheers

Jordan

Think about it for a moment. Do you actually want a custom rom? What would you benefit from it? If you like the phone as it is, why delete everything and start from scratch? These are my views on it anyway...

Guest ltpitt

Think about it for a moment. Do you actually want a custom rom? What would you benefit from it? If you like the phone as it is, why delete everything and start from scratch? These are my views on it anyway...

Yes. Custom rom is:

Internal Space problem solved.

Speed bumped.

Superpowers.

Your chance to choose how your phone should be like.

And why.

And when.

And how it should look and feel.

Or you can choose to be lazy, of course :)

Just my two cents.

Guest geriatrix

Does a custom ROM handle the internal space problem better than partitioning the SD card and using Link2SD?

I'm not too bothered about speed, handle the memory with Link2SD, can already back up my ROM and play with lots of settings that I don't understand too well using ROM Toolbox, and have tweaked the appearance using Launcher and Fancy Widgets.

The phone looks and works great, and I've just got another one for my wife (Ebay UK £50.00 perfect nick!) and sorted that to the same state mines in.

I read the threads about custom ROMs and it's always a bit worrying when the bugs get mentioned (Camera not working etc etc)

I'll probably go for it eventually, because I like fiddling about (!), but I'm still not 100% sure that it will be advantageous for me.