General speed up?

Guest pritsey

Guest pritsey

Hi all,

Generally I'm quite happy with the G300, which has surprised me actually!

I would like to speed things up a little though. Whilst I appreciate that anyone can say this about any device, what I'm referring to is just when I'm doing things like typing for instance, or switching between apps. Sometimes when I'm typing a message the device can appear to stutter or hang for a short time. I use a different keyboard and wondered if this could be why (ICS keyboard). Any ideas how to speed things like this up a bit?

I'm also considering a San Diego at the moment, too. I tried it in the Orange shop and it was pretty decent all round, perhaps the answer is 2 devices to play with!

Thanks

Craig

Guest kyan31

Maybe you could get a task killer and set it to auto kill. Make sure you put the important apps on the whitelist. However, an overclock would be more effective but there are no overclocking methods yet.

Guest Davidoff59

Task killers are not recommended. Do some Google searches and find out why.

Its probably the keyboard you are using. I have used that one before and had the same issue. Stock app is fine.

Changing your rom will help also. I'm using Kiri R1 and I haven't noticed any slow downs anywhere.

Maybe try a different launcher first as one that uses less resources will leave resources for other things. Try it with stock keyboard before going too far. Another thing is removing apps that you don't use or really need that run in the background and take up ram.

Guest pritsey

Thansk for the tips. I'll try the stock keyboard again - by stock do you mean gingerbread or do you mean the horrible Huawei one?

I'm using launcher pro not the stock one as found it pretty nasty. Also launcher pro is the quickest I've tried too.

You really should not use task killers as android manages memory so much better.Instead use one of the memory tweaking apps on market or use xda supercharger script through script manager app.

Edited by Guest

Guest Davidoff59

Either or. Are you on stock rom? I thought launcher pro hasn't been maintained in over a year.Give nemus launcher a whirl.

Guest pritsey

Either or. Are you on stock rom? I thought launcher pro hasn't been maintained in over a year.Give nemus launcher a whirl.

Stock 885 ROM. I'll try nemus tonight. Thanks for help.

Yes init.d makes supecharger easier but it still can be run the same,just means you have to manually go to data and set supercharger.sh to run on boot.

Guest Mtman1
Yes init.d makes supecharger easier but it still can be run the same,just means you have to manually go to data and set supercharger.sh to run on boot.

If you don't have an unit.d its a pain in the ****. If you don't have a init.d rom, personally I think its useless. Give it a shot anyway..

Guest pritsey

I don't know what init.d is I'm afraid!

I tried the nemus launcher but was definitely slower. Now trying Holo launcher. I like the look and doesn't seem too slow - still not launcher pro quick though...

Guest weckl
+1 for supercharger script. But for best results you need a custom ROM with init.d support.

I TOTALLY AGREE. Supercharger is the word, is the groove is the motiooooooon lol

Guest weckl
I don't know what init.d is I'm afraid!

I tried the nemus launcher but was definitely slower. Now trying Holo launcher. I like the look and doesn't seem too slow - still not launcher pro quick though...

Adw or tsf. Best smooth launchers I have tried so far for g300. The others laaaaaaaaaag much more.

Guest Frankish

I have found this lately too. First set up of roms like B885, B888 and now B895 all run ok at first. Once a few apps etc are added it slows down loads. Holo launcher loads the app drawer slow, the stock launcher constantly redraws. Swiftkey and Swype both lag MAJORLY when texting a lot. sometimes they are ok though. Part of me thinks CM7 could fix a lot of it and maybe a slight overclock.

This may seem like swearing but at the minute i feel it's not a great deal faster than my old Skate!! Crazy i know as i love this phone i think Huawei/Voda have done a good job with it. Just wish i didn't have the slowdowns.

Guest tillaz

I'm also considering a San Diego at the moment, too. I tried it in the Orange shop and it was pretty decent all round, perhaps the answer is 2 devices to play with!

Thanks

Craig

if you need root and like flashing custom roms and mods, i would avoid the san diego...

its going to be a slow start for intel based phones, development wise

Guest Peninsula

Kiri R1 been my daily. No lag, bugs, shutdowns.

One problem with the Kiri R1 is that it's gone off this forum! Has anyone got a link to the hosting site?