• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Many hands make light work. Something that one person, working alone, may never consider, could suddenly spring to mind, to another!

Come on guys - let's not leave Paul to do all the hard work - let's get together and use our collective gifts and intelligence that God has given us, and free this thing from the shackles of the corporation. The effort is going to be well worth it, I know it. I for one, will not let this go yet, and I hope other like-minded individuals will join me.

@Paul - tell me more about kboot, and what exactly is involved in a "locked" bootloader, as I am new to this area of Linux, but I am a very fast and proficient learner :)

Thanks

fraxos

fraxos

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Francisco)
In that case it is safe to say there is very little hope. I guess Orange will be punished for this the very same way they were punished with the Monte Carlo and SFII i.e. low sales.

iam_smithers

iam_smithers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Devices:OMC, Orange San Diego
  • Twitter:@iam_smithers
Disappointing but I wont be getting rid of mine. I honestly don't care about lack of root access since I didn't really use it for anything on my San Francisco and never managed to root my Monte Carlo. Similarly, I can more than manage on the internal storage, am yet to see this terrible battery life everyone keeps bemoaning and it does everything I wanted it for. So if anybody is keeping theirs too, I'll still be around here a bit.

Still, Orange has shot themselves in the foot since power users wont be interested in the phone any more and they have lost themselves a fair bit of business now. Don't see the G300 as anything like an alternative though, it's vastly inferior all round (well, except with root access, but as stated above I don't really care about that).

Orange Monte Carlo - Stock (refuses to root)
Orange San Diego

Previous phones: OSF, Samsung Jet, HTC Wildfire, Nokia N95, HTC S620, Motorola RAZR V3, Sharp GX10i, Nokia 3205, various other Nokias

fradleyp

fradleyp

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade
Thank you Paul for all your hard work and effort, just got my my PAC code and will be returning when this arrives. I was paying £20.50 on orange so this with free insurance is a no brainer. Now where's the SIII unlocker forum :-)

ZTE Blade OLED
Clockwork recovery
CM7
Converted Gen2

UnbelievablyScrewed

UnbelievablyScrewed

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Many hands make light work. Something that one person, working alone, may never consider, could suddenly spring to mind, to another!

This is a totally random question glossy... but are you African? :mellow:

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed, 20 June 2012 - 04:03 PM.

Face + Krooklock = LOL

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

This is a totally random question glossy... but are you African?

Nope, but I have Kenyan family - cousins :D

I'm as white as A4 paper... why did you ask?

Blessings :)

Edited by glossywhite, 20 June 2012 - 04:07 PM.

UnbelievablyScrewed

UnbelievablyScrewed

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco

Nope, but I have Kenyan family - cousins :D

I'm as white as A4 paper... why did you ask?

Blessings :)

Just that your sayings pretty much read African accent to me. Probably because most people who talk like you around me are... But I really love your optimism! :D

Paul you did a terrific job with keeping up with this. Bravo sir!

I keep saying I want to learn how to hack really well but haven't even gotten around to learning the basics... If I knew how to I would join #teamglossy

Edited by UnbelievablyScrewed, 20 June 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Face + Krooklock = LOL

kyan31

kyan31

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,885 posts
Iphone's are alot more hackable compared to the OSD. Havent you heard of Cydia?

e2199c4dbb.png823c51b6b0.pngc3f6e04cdb.pngbc36a18046.pngead60d1912.pnge46a22ae54.png

Phones: Samsung Galaxy S4 Qualcomm & Huawei Ascend G300

PC: AMD FX 8350 8 CORE 4.2Ghz CPU, 16GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX RAM, Gigabyte R9 270X Winforce Edition GPU

Like my work? Hit that +1 button as a thank you! Want to support me? You could consider donating!  :)

Subscribe to my YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/thekyan31

scuzzbucket

scuzzbucket

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Lots of stuff.
  • Devices:Xperia Neo
Well colour me disappointed. Now the hunt resumes for my next device. Still, it means I have £200 slush fund now. Might still get one in a couple months if there is a significant price drop.

@glossywhite - have to admire your positivity. Wish you well in your efforts.

Mtman1

Mtman1

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Devices:Liquid MT

Iphone's are alot more hackable compared to the OSD. Havent you heard of Cydia?

that's genuinely scary... an iPhone!!! More hackable than my phone??? @ glossywhite good luck :)

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
I see no relevance of the iPhone being mentioned. Many things are easier, but let's keep on-topic, with all due respect :)

boristhespie

boristhespie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:nokia n80, San Francisco
Barein mind Orange are a French company. As such, as a consumer you are all wrong. The French are always right. They don't do changes of opinion. So Orange wont budge.

razzmataz1478

razzmataz1478

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Flashing ROMs, Being distracted by my skate
  • Devices:ZTE Skate
I thought the phone was made by Gigabyte??

Posted Image

Current Phone:

Xperia T

Previous Phones:

Orange Monte Carlo

Nokia 5530 XpressMusic (Nokia C6-00 CFW)

Sony Ericsson v640i

Nokia 3120

Various other Nokia phones.

Not the best history of phones Posted Image

Mtman1

Mtman1

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Devices:Liquid MT
There are 3 companies that make it (or at least 3 names) http://www.modaco.co...r-the-San-Diego

razzmataz1478

razzmataz1478

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,215 posts
  • Interests:Flashing ROMs, Being distracted by my skate
  • Devices:ZTE Skate
But as far as I know, Gigabyte will be the manufacturer, so has anyone asked them?

Gigabyte: http://rootzwiki.com...lava-xolo-x900/

Edited by razzmataz1478, 20 June 2012 - 04:57 PM.

Posted Image

Current Phone:

Xperia T

Previous Phones:

Orange Monte Carlo

Nokia 5530 XpressMusic (Nokia C6-00 CFW)

Sony Ericsson v640i

Nokia 3120

Various other Nokia phones.

Not the best history of phones Posted Image

captainkremmen

captainkremmen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego

There are 3 companies that make it (or at least 3 names) http://www.modaco.co...r-the-San-Diego

The Orange San Diego is apparently only made by Gigabyte though. The other models, although pretty much identical in that they too have stuck to the Intel reference design with only minor cosmetic changes, are made by other companies. I guess you could compare it to the PC market, in that you may have three PCs that have identical specs but one is made by Lenovo, another by Dell and the third by Gateway. Under the hood they are the same machines, with components from the same companies, and even their cases may be similar, but they are made by different companies on different production lines and have minor differences in such things as the bios (or bootloader perhaps in the case of phones) and differences in software.

geoff1951

geoff1951

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Diego, Nexus 4
May I add my own thoughts? Not rants, but just listed.

First, thank you Paul for all the effort on this. I understand your wish to move on.

Second, Gigabyte are not an unknown/minor/never heard of company. They are well known in the computer hardware world as motherboard and graphics card manufacturers and also make other computer peripherals. And they also have their own branded smartphones, just they're not seen on the UK market. (I've no axe to grind on their behalf.)

Third, I don't think it would serve any point going direct to either Intel or Gigabyte. They have contracts with Orange which will probably have included full specifications of the phone, including this non-bootloader unlocking. Therefore any provision by Intel or Gigabyte to allow us any means of getting round this issue would likely mean they would be in breach of contract with Orange. Gigabyte probably aren't concerned one way or the other about this restriction (apart from contract breach) but Intel almost certainly are. It's their baby and they (think they) know best how to bring it up. We disagree with them, but it's their choice.

Fourth, I appreciate that people like Paul may have a need for an unlocked/rooted/etc phone to run certain apps, but surely not everone on here regards this issue as a "deal breaker"? In its own right, the San Diego is a good phone, even ignoring its low price. The general consensus on the net and several reviews I've seen say so too. I was glad to get rid of everything orange on my SF (thanks again Paul), and have a clean version of Android 2.3.7 on it in the end, but although disappointed that I can't (yet) do the same with the SD I'm not going to get too upset and lose sleep. After all, I still have a fairly good looking phone, a decent camera, it plays flash, web browsing is fine. And it's good as a phone too. Having set my own desktop wallpaper (a picture of the Eagle Nebula, my daughter's studying astrophysics!) and installed a few apps of preference (Smartkeyboard Pro, Dolphin, etc) I can I can put up with the bloat and simply ignore the Orange stuff.

Fifth, I can't comprehend the lack of ICS at launch but at least Orange are making a firm committment to ugrade, unlike their vague intimations in the early days of the SF.

Now, what's Microsoft's new tablet going to be like to use?...

slivabox

slivabox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Orange SF
I was considering this phone as a gift to my wife, very frustrating news.
Nevertheless, I had Motorola Defy which bootloader was locked too but this fact didn't prevent it from posibility to flash some custom ROMs, lets hope for best :)

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Exactly what I think.
This device is absolutely awesome for the price and it does everything one would need from a device.
The features easily make me forget root and custom roms,yeah would be nice but certainly not a deal breaker for me.
The full HD video,High res display and intel atom processor is all good with me :D

huggyc

huggyc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Devices:Huawei g300
I'm with jikobutsu on this one! It's a fantastic device (although I don't own one yet - have played with it in an Orange shop) but i guess most people visiting this forum knew that already! I was thinking, to bring a positive out of this dark news of the imminent lack of rooting ability that maybe their sales would suffer as a result... meaning an even more bargainacious device for those patient enough to wait.

That theory was blown out the water however with the arrival (yesterday) of the OSD television advert on Orange's YouTube :-(

But, to turn it around again, with Orange and Intel insisting that this is a hit by throwing gold bars at it, there will inevitably be an imminent mass of peeps trying to find a rooting solution.

Oh, btw (above) Gigabyte manufactured the xolo x900, Orange San Diego, and Orange avec Intel Inside (French version of OSD) the only physical difference is the back cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users