204 replies to this topic

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7

the phone is not failing to sell, they sold 500 in two weeks since Orange launched it, and that's before the mass advertising has got under way.

500 in first 2 weeks? That sure sounds like failure to me.

eLJay

eLJay

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Skate (Orange Monte Carlo)

And sayin' that someone could develop a virus the spokesman is totally an idiot ,

If you run something like Avast (some features like the firewall require a rooted device) and don't install dubious apps then there should be no issues! It is a pain as the firewall requires root access yet the banking apps like Barclays pay app require the phone to not be rooted. This does seem like a major disparity in approaches.

WiiSky70

WiiSky70

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  • Interests:Is not your business...
  • Devices:BQ Aquaris 5
Well they said , that will going to be pushing an update to Ice Cream Sandwhich in Q3 of this year , let's hope if they unlock the device to be able for Rooting and putting ROM's on it for future Android releases or updates to ICS.

The hope isn't all lost , if we give enought feedback to them , they may release the ICS update , and unlocking the device.

• Current Device : BQ Aquaris 5 (JB 4.2) 
  • Optimus Monte Carlo (GB 2.3)  --- >>> SOLD ! 

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
How about some of those debating and discussing the possibilities of what may (or may not, more likely), happen at a corporate level, put the conversation back on track, and discuss the technical aspects of a locked bootloader, and research into solutions of how we can solve this?

Lots of wasted typing, no offence. You can debate this into eternity, but unless technical progress is made by a capable community, it's just going to swing back and forth as a point of discussion, bemoaning how Orange & Intel "have made a big mistake" - they may have, but debating it won't get it unlocked.

Paul is the site founder and owner, and I have no doubts as to his extreme intelligence and technical knowledge... but he is not the only person alive on the planet with in depth technical skills regards hardware and software. I have extensive electronics experience - I am 37 and have been doing electronics and taking things apart/repairing them, since I was 6, and I am proficient with Linux, Windows & Mac OS X, down to command line level (moreso with Linux @ command line level). Being autistic - I have "Asperger's syndrome", and without meaning to blow my own trumpet (I hate pride), *many* people have said to me "how on EARTH do you know these things?" or "How did you see that? I'd never have even thought of that" etc, which is always a great boost to my confidence and my heart, as I often do LOTS of highly skilled work for free, for friends and family, because I know I am respected well and valued - work that I am pretty sure not many people could do to such a degree of precision, and if they could - I am not saying they DEFINITELY couldn't, not as thoroughly.

Even if I can't find a solution, there's always the chance that the SIMlock could be exploited somehow... but I can't possibly guess, without the phone.

Edited by PaulOBrien, 27 June 2012 - 03:49 PM.

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
You are still working on it paul,well that is very good news,thankyou so much,I am sure everyone with OSD will be very grateful for your efforts :D

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Please forgive my errors, guys - I have had an extremely stressful weekend, working hours and hours under pressure, trying to re-structure a website, under pressure, with no success. This is the result... mind-hiccups. I don't work well under stress... as you can see, LOL :P

@ jikobutsu - you have no need to apologise, your donation is very kind, and will benefit us all I hope. Hopefully others may do likewise - a kind of "snowball effect". God bless you, I now need [EDIT] £205 to get there :P LOL

@Paul - what can I do, hack-wise, in the meantime? I'd love to get the ball rolling, this end.

Edited by glossywhite, 26 June 2012 - 09:56 PM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,254 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

@Paul - what can I do, hack-wise, in the meantime? I'd love to get the ball rolling, this end.

Not sure, everything I can think of I've done or am doing!

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Not sure, everything I can think of I've done or am doing!

P

Have you looked into SIM locks?

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

I was a little skeptical at first,but several recognized members have rated you so I happy to donate.

Aww, I appreciate your kindness my friend. :D

Oh, and I made a typo earlier; I am £205 away, not £105

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,254 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien

Aww, I appreciate your kindness my friend. :D

Oh, and I made a typo earlier; I am £205 away, not £105

The device is 200, 10 quid top up but 30 quid cash back on topcashback too.

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

The device is 200, 10 quid top up but 30 quid cash back on topcashback too.

P

Thanks, Paul. :D

androids0711

androids0711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:monte carlo
Well chaps Im sorry to point out the fact that Orange has had 58 staff members commit suicide over the last couple of years down to it "super duper management" (anyone detect a touch of sarcasm there??). they are complete aerosols.....
They are short sighted to say the least and totally impervious to anyone's opinion (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread)
they miss-sell, con, they make the banking system seem like choirboys!. they sell unlimited texts packages and dont mention delivery reports and when you get the bill ask why you didnt trawl the small print. charge for pac numbers when leaving because you havent followed their customer services direction ......yeah right.... and when i get a faulty phone they argued about who was going to replace it....(bought on paygo and switched to panther 15.50) Paygo sent me a replacement which i gratefully accepted and took the faulty one back to the shop where i bought the original from. he wouldnt accept it and said put it in the envelope provided. I expressed concern that it might be stolen as it was address to orange and obviouslt a phone.... guess what???? they are now trying to charge me for a phone??....Id laugh if they werent so tragic. so ive moved to giffgaff but got to say my wife got a good deal at Tmobile £36 and 2500 mins unlimited download unlimited txt. wonder how long before oranges influence stretches to tmobile as ive heard they are now one and the same.....lol ;-)

androids0711

androids0711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:monte carlo
and still cant get this darned thing to root So feel the pain and frustration of you guys with the OSD...

regards

scuzzbucket

scuzzbucket

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Lots of stuff.
  • Devices:Xperia Neo
Oranges influence is all over T-Mobile already, and getting worse.

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Well chaps Im sorry to point out the fact that Orange has had 58 staff members commit suicide over the last couple of years down to it "super duper management" (anyone detect a touch of sarcasm there??). they are complete aerosols.....
They are short sighted to say the least and totally impervious to anyone's opinion (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread)
they miss-sell, con, they make the banking system seem like choirboys!. they sell unlimited texts packages and dont mention delivery reports and when you get the bill ask why you didnt trawl the small print. charge for pac numbers when leaving because you havent followed their customer services direction ......yeah right.... and when i get a faulty phone they argued about who was going to replace it....(bought on paygo and switched to panther 15.50) Paygo sent me a replacement which i gratefully accepted and took the faulty one back to the shop where i bought the original from. he wouldnt accept it and said put it in the envelope provided. I expressed concern that it might be stolen as it was address to orange and obviouslt a phone.... guess what???? they are now trying to charge me for a phone??....Id laugh if they werent so tragic. so ive moved to giffgaff but got to say my wife got a good deal at Tmobile £36 and 2500 mins unlimited download unlimited txt. wonder how long before oranges influence stretches to tmobile as ive heard they are now one and the same.....lol ;-)

It sounds like you have a few issues with Orange, but you think giffgaff are better? Wow, you obviously haven't had to communicate argue with their "agents", who REALLY DO NOT READ WHAT IS WRITTEN.

giffgaff's "customer service" is a DISservice, and yes - they ARE cheap, but their ability to manage and maintain a decent level of service to the customers is TOTALLY broken, because their staff are ignorant, and whoever is sysadmin of their site needs to get one quarter of a clue how to maintain it properly, and fix bugs that have been recurring REGULARLY AND FOR YEARS (not shouting at you, just for clarity).

Cheap does not equate good. Cheap means "it costs less", that's all. It costs less because they use their members to do THEIR work for them, and palm you off with lies and excuses.

Edited by glossywhite, 07 July 2012 - 04:21 PM.

fraxos

fraxos

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Devices:ZTE Blade (San Francisco)
Interestingly enough, the Verizon version of the Galaxy SIII has a locked bootloader but someone managed to root it anyway. Perhaps something useful for the San DIego?

http://rootzwiki.com...n-galaxy-s-iii/

boristhespie

boristhespie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Devices:nokia n80, San Francisco
I've had two giff gaff sims for a year or so and still haven't been able to activate.

Their entire system was brought down by one burst pipe this year and their excuse was "we are so cheap people can't expect to much"

An actual phone service as paid for is not too much.

They are mickey mouse even if owned by O2.

As for orange. I sai this before and I need to repeat the importance of this. Orange is FRENCH.

The french have a different concept altogether as to what customer service is. They usually expect the customer to be completely grateful to them for Orange providing a service to them. The cuatomer is lucky.

Alao look at the mobile market in france. Recently shaken up with FreeMobile frances mobile phone system is totally scewed against the customer to the point that you lose money and credits etc. It's like the banking system in France. You pay for everything are forced to buy and pay monthly for a cash card(not debit) and can only withdraw cash from your particula area etc etc.

Orange just follows the French indifference to the customer. Hence why they have gotten worse since French telecom bought them.

Andyyy41

Andyyy41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:San Diego
What the hell is Open source for...if it's not open! Linus Torvalds would be ashamed.

Saying that, the phone has been impecable. Not one FC in nearly a month of constant use, great battery, fast and HD. Root would be the cherry on top.

ZTE Blade SF - Orange - MoDaCo Custom

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
I think we can hope the Ics update my help with root situation,

glossywhite

glossywhite

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts
Having considered my options, I think I would prefer a Nexus 7, were I buying an Android device, and if I didn't need a phone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users