44 replies to this topic

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Devices:galaxy nexus, nexus 7
I originally got the g300 as an interim phone inbetween my iphone4 dying and getting something else. That "something else" has yet to be decided, but what I'm really wondering is what kind of performance improvement I'd get with "something else". Hopefully you guys will be able to tell me!

I had considered the San Diego but that's off the list now. So, the handsets I'm considering are as follows:

Galaxy Nexus
Xperia S
Razr

All have either got ICS or will have it very very soon. All have dual core CPUs, all are around the £300ish mark.

Android has come on in leaps and bounds since I last used it (HTC hero - hated it!) and I'm also surprised at how good the g300 is for the money, not to mention Huawei themselves. So, what am I after? Decent speed, no lag going between apps, no lag typing, good browsing etc

What are your thoughts then? Nexus is due for jellybean by the looks of it, however not sure if this will be more of a minor upgrade from ICS than going from gingerbread to ICS.

What do you think if it was your cash and why?

Thanks!

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts
  • Interests:Time & Space
  • Devices:Moto X
i would get the zte era, its quad core nvida tegra 3, shipping with ics...

just my opinion :)

Frankish

Frankish

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 4S Xiaocai X9 THL W200
And where is this Era? Not out yet and no release date,lol.

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

And where is this Era? Not out yet and no release date,lol.

its due out Q2 so it could be any time now...

i would rather wait a little longer, than jumping in right now & getting a dual core phone that will be out dated in a months time lol
like i said though its just my opinion..

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
There is no info on release for either the Mimosa x or Era other than Q2. Is their plan to announce it and have it for sale on the same day? The only info out their is from Feb and I think its a pretty s*** way of handling a phone release.

fr0do

fr0do

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Devices:Huawei G300
Pretty disillusioned with ZTE after the crescent. They had enormous success with the blade but are throwing it away with bad marketing and meanness IMO.

Posted Image

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I had seen some bits about the ZTE and the huawei P1, but as has been said, they aren't here yet!

So if you were to choose something available now, either from the 3 I listed it similar, which would it be and why? Also will I see a real performance increase in all areas?

Mtman1

Mtman1

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts
  • Devices:Liquid MT
Morning,
Here's my opinions on the phones:
Xperia s: on paper, the fastest out the the 3, but only has an upgrade for ics.
Nexus: joint second fastest, and has a (literally) certian update to jellybean, but as its a Google phone, maybe even a later upgrade
Razr: joint second fastest, only has gingerbread, maybe an update to ics. Not really worth getting this one.

If you want speed, go 4 the xperia s, if you want the latest upgrade go for the nexus. I don't have a clue what the overclocking speeds are, so they might be the same speed overclocked.
I would go 4 the nexus

Edited by Mtman1, 23 June 2012 - 07:33 AM.

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

Is their plan to announce it and have it for sale on the same day? The only info out their is from Feb and I think its a pretty s*** way of handling a phone release.

that's how it was with the zte skate... orange never announced a release date, it was just available on there web site... i remember waiting,
it should be here before the end of July... i think some people will be wishing they had waited, when it releases 2 or 3 weeks after they buy something with half the power..
i think waiting a little longer is worth quad core tegra 3 for the same price...

but if i had to pick from those 3, i would go with the nexus..

tillaz

tillaz

Hardcore

• Developer Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,877 posts

that's how it was with the zte skate... orange never announced a release date, it was just available on there web site... i remember waiting,
it should be here before the end of July... i think some people will be wishing they had waited, when it releases 2 or 3 weeks after they buy something with half the power..
i think waiting a little longer is worth quad core tegra 3 for the same price...

but if i had to pick from those 3, i would go with the nexus..

i assume you mean the nexus prime.. since you say dual core

this might be helpful

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks - watched that video last night actually. The thing these performance videos don't show you is real world performance. Scrolling in the browser, typically an SMS, taking pics etc.

I played with the xperia in the shop and really liked it even when it was on gingerbread, but have read a few scare stories about battery life. The nexus seems the one to get, limited storage of course and possibly a grainy screen. Razr seems ok, specs seem decent anyway!

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Or you could wait for some more intel powered devices,assuming they will not all be locked down like the OSD.
Intel know how to make processors far better and based on the performance of the 1.6Ghz intel atom single core,which outperforms some dual cores,I am a little excited as to what a dual core intel device will bring.Of course this is not good information for the OP who wants a device now I assume,but just my thoughts.

I see somewhere that the intel atom has some kind of turbo feature that can go up to 2Ghz,maybe wrong or misundertood on that info.I will see if I can find where I read it.....

here it is: http://www.modaco.co...or-information/

Edited by jikobutsu, 23 June 2012 - 09:35 AM.

TouchyAndalou

TouchyAndalou

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
I'm also likely getting for the ZTE Era, provided the camera is significantly better than the ones on the Blade and the Skate.

buckleheid

buckleheid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Devices:ascend g300,SG2
what about a samsung galaxy s2?i was considering one of these myself as a contract phone with my ascend as a backup

jikobutsu

jikobutsu

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  • Devices:OSD
Galaxy s II is still a very good device...how much is it on contract now ?

buckleheid

buckleheid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
21.50 on o2 with an upfront payment of £79.99 i think
bit cheaper on other networks i think,but i really like o2 and 90% of my friends are on it

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

what about a samsung galaxy s2?i was considering one of these myself as a contract phone with my ascend as a backup

If I'm going for a new phone then I may as well get something with a better resolution than the S2 I think. A guy at work has the S2 and I'm not that impressed with it, especially how long it takes to take a photo on it.

buckleheid

buckleheid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
but cameras are kinda secondary to the phone,well i think so anyway

pritsey

pritsey

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I take loads of photos on my phones, so fairly big consideration for me. Also it has to be a quick camera, having young kids who don't sit still means that if you have a slow camera all your pics will be blurry!

Davidoff59

Davidoff59

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,317 posts
  • Devices:Orange San Francisco, G300
Im pretty sure that I read that Intel only joined the smartphone market due to Qualcomm pushing their chips into Intel's market, ie computers. This is their way of fighting back. They are a bit late really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users