Screen misalignment?

Guest pelago

Guest pelago

Is your G300 screen misaligned, with the top few pixels (those closest to the Huawei logo) chopped off?

To see if this is the case on your G300, without having to install any extra apps, do the following:

Run the stock Calculator app (in the Tools folder by default) and turn the screen to landscape, with the Huawei logo on the left. If you have the screen misalignment problem you'll notice that the curved corners on the left-hand edges of the left-most buttons are cut off, but the curved corners are fine on the right-most buttons. If you rotate it to the other landscape orientation, so that the Huawei logo is on the right, you'll see the same except cutting off the curved corners on the right-hand edges.

Edit: added pictures, click to enlarge:

This is a screenshot taken from within the device itself, where you'll see that button corners are supposed to be round on both left and right. You'll also notice that the buttons are right up to the very edges of the screen, which is why the Calculator app is a good test for this (most apps don't draw right up to the edges):

post-980501-0-80675800-1340824544_thumb.

Photo of how Calculator really looks in device in landscape with Huawei logo to left:

post-980501-0-88409700-1340824590_thumb.

Photo of how Calculator really looks in device in landscape with Huawei logo to right:

post-980501-0-73839200-1340824602_thumb.

Not pictured, so you'll have to take my word for it, are how things appear at the other end of the screen, by the capacitive buttons. There the Calculator buttons do show their rounded corners, so the problem is just at the top end of the screen, by the Huawei logo.

Edited by pelago

Guest timfimjim

I definitely have this problem.

When you say mis-alignment, do you mean that the screen is in the wrong place, or do you mean the phone thinks the screen is somewhere it isn't?

Basically, anyone with CWM installed can see for themselves whether or not they have this issue. The C will not be complete, as will the 0 on the first line (the top is chopped off).

From what I can see, the screen doesn't go under the front cover or anything - more the pixels stop but the phone still thinks there are more.

Please can everyone have a look and see whether they're getting this too?

Guest fr0do

I'm pretty sure that my screen is high in the cover. There's a corresponding black gap at the bottom. And where the top cuts off, there is no more screen, just the black surround.

Edited by fr0do

Guest craigysd

Just checked my screen and can confirm mine is set too high in the casing also, no big deal for me as I had never noticed till I checked.

Guest fr0do
Just checked my screen and can confirm mine is set too high in the casing also, no big deal for me as I had never noticed till I checked.

Lightweight! ;) :D

Guest timfimjim

Tim do, out mean check in cwm recovery?

I just mean it's more visible in Cwm recovery - two of the characters are definitely cut off on the top.

Guest timfimjim

Is it not simply the case that they all are?

I think it probably is...

Which means sending it back wouldn't have much effect surely?

It's a pretty big manufacturing oversight in my opinion.

@frodo had a good look at mine and the actual screen is in the centre - same amount of space on top and bottom. It's just what's displayed on the screen that's wrong for me

Edited by timfimjim

Guest fr0do

@frodo had a good look at mine and the actual screen is in the centre - same amount of space on top and bottom. It's just what's displayed on the screen that's wrong for me

Interesting. I might try and check in a shop first then.

Guest pelago

To see if you have the screen misalignment problem on your G300, without having to install any extra apps, do the following:

Run the stock Calculator app (in the Tools folder by default) and turn the screen to landscape, with the Huawei logo on the left. If you have the screen misalignment problem you'll notice that the curved corners on the left-hand edges of the left-most buttons are cut off, but the curved corners are fine on the right-most buttons. If you rotate it to the other landscape orientation, so that the Huawei logo is on the right, you'll see the same except cutting off the curved corners on the right-hand edges.

I've added a poll - please indicate whether or not you have this problem.

Edited by pelago

Guest RussellS

I've just checked mine using the calculator as you suggested and I'm glad to say that mine is perfectly centered. With the phone in landscape mode the curved edges of the buttons are exactly the same at both edges.

Guest timfimjim

I've just checked mine using the calculator as you suggested and I'm glad to say that mine is perfectly centered. With the phone in landscape mode the curved edges of the buttons are exactly the same at both edges.

Interesting. I'm wondering whether a certain batch / few batches had this problem and it was resolved? Or whether it's software related.

What rom are you on? Upgraded to b888 via update.app?

Guest pelago

I've just popped into a Vodafone shop and their demo model had exactly the same problem, using the Calculator test. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem rather than a software (ROM) one, given the reports of it happening in CWM which runs before the ROM.

It's interesting that some people are saying theirs is OK, though. I'm in two minds what to do now. I was going to try and get it replaced, but it sounds like it's more likely than not that the replacement will have the same problem!

Guest RussellS

Interesting. I'm wondering whether a certain batch / few batches had this problem and it was resolved? Or whether it's software related.

What rom are you on? Upgraded to b888 via update.app?

Well my G300 was purchased just after Vodafone started selling them and was supplied with B882. I then did an OTA update to B885 and then updated to B888 (original Huawei release).

My wife also has a G300 which is only a couple of weeks old. When she gets home from work today I'll check hers out for any screen misalignment.

From your description of the problem though it sounds to me like the screen is physically positioned incorrectly inside the case.

Guest timfimjim

Thanks for checking. Mine was B882 updated ota to b885. I didn't upgrade to b888 though.

Other people have said their screen looks physically in the wrong position but not me. My screen is completely centered in the casing. There is room where the screen finishes and the case starts, and this is the same distance all around the phone.

Guest Pondlife

Is there an easy way to do a screenshot? I think viewed elsewhere would show if it's displaying the pixels and just can't be seen on visible area of screen or if there is an odd software offset to the display.

Or is that just my tired mind screwing up logic?

Guest marky188

Mine the one with the better screen is fine but my wife's the one with the dull screen is misaligned. Maybe your onto something

Guest timfimjim

We're getting somewhere!

@pondlife according to a screen shot there isn't any issue - it shows the edges of the calculator fine...

Guest pelago

I've added some pics to the first post, a screenshot made on the device itself, and two photos of how it looks in real life.

I don't do Facebook, but for someone who does, do you want to draw Huawei UK's attention to this?

Edited by pelago