The Phones Show G300 review

Guest Shahmatt

Guest Shahmatt

Steve didn't give it a good rating. I remember I bought my OSF because of his review of it last year. Now I'm having second thoughts on this phone! :-/

Guest goodfella123

Obviously he can only judge it out of the box, but much like the San Fran, it gets much better when modded.

By the way, his comments re. storage space are incorrect.

Guest Richard_Arkless

I havent got the phone yet but I dont think you should take the advice from this guy, you really get 2gb storage (which isnt used by the system) and 512mb ram

The software keys issue has been fixed in a later update (which vodafone has yet to roll out) and the slugish performance can be improved by installing a custom rom (and ICS will be faster because it takes advantage of full hardware acceleration)

As for the viewing angles and the screen visibility while under sunlight (Which could be improved by turning up the brightness) I haven't heard anyone mention it so take it with a grain of salt

And you can watch any video format by installing another video player instead of using the stock one

Edited by Richard_Arkless

Guest runlevel5

yeah, read multiple reviews, owners experiences and make a choice. The reviewer did omit the 2gb internal and the only device I gave seen that you can read in bright direct sunlight is the e-ink Amazon kindle. Most annoying thing about the G300 imo is the appalling 8k quality of the audio on recorded mp4 video files tho I'm confident future roms will fix this.

Guest Shahmatt

As goodefella has said, Steve's review would anyway be the phone out of the box, without a custom ROM installed, or any other type of modification.

However I do worry about the hardware limitations such as the screen, though there are many comments here saying that it is far better than the OSF screen.

I think the question really is if the hardware is up to scratch given the price point. For instance in a hypothetical calculation of hardware per dollar spent where would this phone stand compared with others? Above or below the average?

On the other hand, there IS no other good phone at this price point, making it an attractive offer just because of the price, even if the hardware isn't up to the mark.

Edited by Shahmatt

Guest Davidoff59

Read most reviews and most will be wrong.

I'm pretty sure Paul, Modaco's owner did a review but I can't find it.

Owner reviews are important as they use the phone extensively. The G300 is a very capable device. It has a few quality issues alright but the device I have is faultless although I returned my first phone due to a lockup. This appears to have been tied down to a bug in the stock lock screen.

I paid £100 for an Orange San Francisco about a year and. half ago and was well impressed with my first Android phone. The G300 at £100 is in another league to the San Fran.

I am running the first build of CM9 released last night and it transforms the phone. As CM9 matures on the G300, its going to be a belter of a phone and just as good as phones 2 or 3 times more expensive.

Go into vodafone, have a play and you will leave with one, guaranteed.

The Blade had no competition at its price point and truly made waves and the G300 is in the same boat, only better. Its a worthy replacement.

Guest Davidoff59

The screen is considerably better. It is also an arm 7 CPU versus the arm 6 on the Blade.

1ghz versus 600mhz. It also has official code Aurora support.

Guest eLJay

Have to say for the bang per buck price this is a step up and even though the S3 is better it should be because the cost of me actually owning one is just silly and to buy one second hand is around the £400-500 mark! The Nexus is a better buy in some ways, but there are more to come. Which ultimately makes me think the phone I got for £82 second hand plus the £4.65 unlock fee is a bargain, I'll even wait for the official G300 update.

Edited by eLJay

Most annoying thing about the G300 imo is the appalling 8k quality of the audio on recorded mp4 video files tho I'm confident future roms will fix this.

This is solved with LG camera which enables you to tweak audio,there is a topic here about this.

Here it is: http://www.modaco.com/topic/354264-better-audio-quality-when-recording-video/

Edited by Guest

Guest Ascend

Considering his top 2 were the S3 and iphone 4s then it is not surprising that he was a bit down on the G300.!

I was seriously considering a S2 but could not justify the £300 to £350 price tag. No way could I even think about the S3 and i4s !!

The G300 gives everything I want to replace a Samsung Wave. A lot of the perceived problems seem to be fixable with new ROM's and ICS so in my opinion fantastic value for money at £100.

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

Considering his top 2 were the S3 and iphone 4s then it is not surprising that he was a bit down on the G300.!

I was seriously considering a S2 but could not justify the £300 to £350 price tag. No way could I even think about the S3 and i4s !!

The G300 gives everything I want to replace a Samsung Wave. A lot of the perceived problems seem to be fixable with new ROM's and ICS so in my opinion fantastic value for money at £100.

Exactly. This phone is not aimed at people who have £400+ spare to splash on a top-end device. Currently, at this price point there is nothing comparable. I am absolutely delighted with the speed and quality of this phone for the money. As said above, it is a clear step up from the San Francisco, which, in itself, was far and away the best value for money handset at the time of release. I look forward to seeing how well it works with modifications, ICS, and [hopefully] overclocking.

Guest Shahmatt

Never heard of this guy before and now I know why, terrible review and IMO he's a typical Apple fanboy.

LoL. An Apple fanboy he is not. I've been following his show for years, and back in the day his top phones have ranged from the Nokia N95, N82, E90 to the N8. In fact only recently has he begun recommending the iphone and Samsung Galaxy S as the best phones there are. They obviously aren't the best value, but they do represent the pinnacle of hardware right now.

About a year back it was he that also recommended the OSF and also replied to my comment on his channel about custom ROMs on this phone.

So I do think his opinion deserves some respect.

Guest pritsey

He is defo not an apple fanboy, he's a Nokia fanboy through and through - even when the device is rubbish (eh n97!) I still watch the phones show and listen to the audio podcast, but I don't pay any attention to their review. When testing a blackberry they didn't even have BES or BIS - the fundamental part of the blackberry service!

I would place money on Steve saying that the 808 pureview is the best handset ever.

Guest Shahmatt

Well he blew his cred with that comedy of errors.

I think the question has been posed to him about hardware descrepancies in the youtube comments section and he has replied with explanations.

Sorry I cannot quote since I don't have youtube access whilst at office.

Guest Rico_89

..... he's a Nokia fanboy through and through - even when the device is rubbish (eh n97!) I still watch the phones show and listen to the audio podcast, but I don't pay any attention to their review. When testing a blackberry they didn't even have BES or BIS - the fundamental part of the blackberry service!

I know what you mean, I still watch the Gadget Show even though I nick name it the "Apple Show" because every test seems like it's designed to drop the Blackberry's at the first hurdle and then make sure the Apple gear comes out on top.

Guest Shahmatt

He replied again saying that his focus is really high end phones. Yes, that's apparent. *rolleyes*

I saw your comment. Perhaps there has been a change in his show philosophy though.

Here is his top 5 for October 2010:

(notice he says that the phones have got to offer good value)