how do i change the voicemail number?

I'm on giffgaff. Don't want to root and put a custom rom on. Is there any way I can change the voicemail setting? If I have to root can I do it without changing the rom? Thanks.

Guest droiddruid

Settings > Phone Settings > Call Feature Settings > Voicemail Settings. However I am using a custom rom so its possible your voicemail setting may be located at a different path.

You can root without changing your rom.

Guest RussellS

I'm on giffgaff. Don't want to root and put a custom rom on. Is there any way I can change the voicemail setting? If I have to root can I do it without changing the rom? Thanks.

No, you don't seem to be able to change the voicemail number for some reason. There is a thread covering this issue here: http://www.modaco.co...-recieving-sms/

See post #5 for my comment regarding this and a link to this issue in the GiffGaff community forums.

Guest eirlysbill1

yeah, its not an easy fix. But it is do-able. Basically, what happens now, is that you try to change the number in the settings (giffgaff = 443) but it doesn't take.

You have to go in and change it a deeper level, I think it's in a cust file in system, but I'm pretty sure you'll need root access to do it.

I did it with the Rom Toolbox pro app (which needs root to work at this level), and it took a while to figure it out, but its done. And the change carries over to any rom I install.

Also, to answer your question: you can root the phone without changing the rom.

Here's the thread on how do change the voicemail number in the system file. http://www.modaco.co...fix-it-works-d/

Look in the "I'm New" thread for rooting help, etc.

And. feel free to reply on here or pm me, if you need more help.

All the best

Edited by eirlysbill1

• 8 months later...
Guest cruz99

Gingerbread users

Sorry to revive an old topic but I recently managed to change my voicemail settings buy rooting the phone and changing the voicemail-conf.xml file

I am using and ovivio sim and running on the gingerbread software (I have updated to Vodafone ICS and unbranded ICS software but hate them and downgraded)

I followed this easy peasy lemon squeezy root guide http://huaweig300.com/how-to-root-the-huawei-g300/

Then I used Root Browser Lite to alter the xml file

browese to cust/vodafone/gb/xml

open voicemail-conf.xml file using a text editor. It brings up a text file containing loads of providers and their voicemail numbers.

scroll to where it says vodafone and 121 which on my xml file was the very last entry at the end of the file. Edit the 121 to read 265 (or whatever your voicemail number is) and save the file.

Restart the phone and then look in settings/call settings/call feature settings/voicemail settings and the number will now read 265 (or whatever your voicemail number is)

I found this method somewhere on MoDaCo

Guest Smiff2

hmmm yes i had to do this too. right pain.

anyway i've just realised one phone is used by someone who switches SIMs for different countries. is there any way to make this editable through the gui. is it just permissions on that file, or does it not work that way? i've no idea how Android permissions work!

thanks to anyone who knows..