[Tutorial] Replacing the rear speaker

Guest donk165

Guest donk165

Replacing the Rear Speaker on your ZTE Skate / Orange Monte Carlo

Disclaimer - I am not responsible if you burn yourself or damage your phone while following this guide!

Materials Required

- Replacement Speaker

- A Small Cross Head / Phillips Screwdriver

- Another small screwdriver / Similar Instrument (I used a T3 Torx)

- Plastic prying tool (You could probably use the same as above)

- A hair-dryer (Preferably one with different pressure + heat settings)

- Blu-Tack / Glue / Something Sticky

Instructions

1. Remove the back cover, battery, SIM card and MicroSD card.

2. Following this guide, remove the 8 screws holding the back panel on. Look at photo 5

3. Using the plastic prying tool, (or similar object) carefully remove the back casing, starting from the top near the headphone jack. Make sure you don't lose the ON button if it comes off.

4. After removing the back panel, put the rest of the phone to one side. Now, use the hair-dryer on the black piece covering the speaker. If possible, use a high heat - low pressure setting. I only used it for 45 seconds - 1 minute. I aimed at the edges of the plastic - where the split is, and also on the top of it.

5. As soon as you switch off the hair-dryer, have your other screwdriver / tool ready to put under the part which sticks out, next to the 2 gold contacts. Once you have the tool under it, try to flex the piece up - dont force it or you may snap/warp the plastic panel. Be careful as the plastic will be pretty hot. I slightly warped my small plastic piece :D

If you cant get it to move, repeat steps 4 + 5. It took a few attempts before I got it off.

6. Once you have the plastic piece off which covers the speaker, you can just remove the speaker, it isn't attached. Put the new speaker in place, making sure the contacts are facing the edge of the phone.

7. Using Blu-Tack, put some around the rim where the old glue was, you need to stick the piece back down enough so you can put the back panel on the phone. Try to use as little as possible, you don't want it getting all over the speaker or phone circuit board.

8. After sticking the piece back on, re-assemble the phone and screw it back together, making sure the ON button is still attached/secure.

9. Replace the SIM card, MicroSD card, battery and back cover.

10. Boot up your device and test the speaker. Make sure no audio mods are on before testing, you may notice this new speaker is a bit louder than the old one, I did.

Hopefully your speaker is now working properly!

Notes

- You may be able to use some electrical tape to hold the plastic piece down, but make sure not to cover any of the gold contacts.

- You could use a heat gun to loosen the old glue up, but make sure to use a low heat setting so you dont melt the back panel!

(ill add stuff if i get any feedback)

-- Pictures coming soon ---

Edited by donk165

Guest monkeykicker

Thanks Donk, I'm have an MC that has the distorted sound from the speaker so looking forward to the pics (I assume this is why you replaced yours?). In addition would appreciate any info on obtaining a replacement speaker for the Monte Carlo.

TIA

Monkey

Guest donk165

I'll upload the photos.at some.point today, been really.busy, the link for the speaker is in the materials.section, there's a.link to an eBay page ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bart West-VL.

donk165, I registered myself to thank you!

Searched the web and this is the only real help I've got to fix the crackling speaker, it had attracted metal dust at work.

Just ordered the speaker via your link to Ebay, had to register there too and also had to create a Paypal account.

It almost wasn't worth it for the price it costs, lol, not expensive at all.

Now I'm waiting for it and will report back with the progress of the fix.

One question: Can I make the speaker dust-proof? very important in my work. Maybe the whole phone would be a better idea but hard to do. I'm willing to sacrifice some volume on the speaker for it.

Bart

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
One question: Can I make the speaker dust-proof? very important in my work. Maybe the whole phone would be a better idea but hard to do. I'm willing to sacrifice some volume on the speaker for it.

Bart

This is something I need to look into myself, I believe I'm getting the same problem. I thought the 2 layers of dustproofing on the speaker would be enough. The only thing I can think of is if the dust/metal filings are coming from the speaker/phone hardware inside. Given the cheapness of the phone, it could be this, I don't have any way of testing though. :(

I've been putting off uploading pictures for too long now, mainly because I don't want to take the phone apart unless I have to. Also I didnt have a camera until now.

Dust seems to be one of this phones weaknesses! I have a collection of it under the screen near the volume buttons. Ill be taking the phone apart in the morning to clear the dust out, and check my speaker too as I've been having some distortion again, I'm hoping its just more dust :P Ill take photos of each stage and try and draw on any pointers to help.

I'm glad this guide has been helpful to everyone who have used it, and I'm sorry I've neglected the thread. I wasn't subscribed, so I didn't notice any replies!

• 5 months later...
Guest emilpoul

Thanks man, but i don't need speaker, i want the power button :D

Some how i want to find generally parts for it,but just doesn't exist.

nice ..... :huh:

Edited by emilpoul

• 3 weeks later...
Guest donk165

Im suprised this thread is still getting talked about. The monte carlo (family member has it now) I had has started doing the same crackling. I think the speaker itself is just of a low quality, when I replaced the speaker, there were metal filings all over the speaker. I suspect it destroys itself while being used.

Im glad this thread has helped you guys!

Guest wizard.no.84

well, if we started a hardware replacimend, i have a headset issue..

i was in a hurry when i was closing my back cover, and something popup from top of my headset conector (i think its 0)

so my headset is not working..

i wanted to open a thread here, but did know dose anyone know how to make a hardware replacmend..

so, can someone help me with this?