Are "V3" reviews reliable?

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

This review cites "bad camera" on the San Diego (ironic, seeing as the maximum resolution of the YouTube review is 480p). Is this a reliable, fair judgement?

Guest Rem1x

"Terrible" in relation to others, or just terrible?

Just terrible. I'm comparing this to the HD2 and the Atrix. The HD2 was released in 2009.

Coming from blade,skate,g300, I find the camera very good, a little grainy in low light but the pics are not bad at all, the 10 photo burst is a good feature too.

Again with video, low light it is grainy, but very good in normal daylight and reasonably lit rooms indoors.

Guest glossywhite

Just terrible. I'm comparing this to the HD2 and the Atrix. The HD2 was released in 2009.

I've seen the samples, and the word "terrible" is rather over-dramatic. It's a phone, not a Nikon D80 - it's not built in the same class as, quote "proper" cameras. Maybe the colours are slightly under-saturated... but it is a phone, after all, and I cannot help but feel that people who swap and change camera phones more frequently than socks, become biased and spoilt (I don't mean you personally, I mean overall).

Could you imagine a 1080p recording, auto-focus camera on a PHONE, five years ago? Opinion on photographic quality is a personal thing... bah, I now feel a fool for having asked! :P

He he.

[edit]

@jikobutsu

Which photographer would attempt low light photos without long exposure and a wide aperture, anyway? I think people are far too fussy - they expect DSLR quality from a *phone* camera - it is a matter of physics - the aperture could NEVER be as wide as on a "proper" DSLR, so the whole point appears a moot one, to me.

Hey, listen to me babbling... I'm getting ensnared in the whole "photo snob" melarkey... I feel like I'm on DP Review forums (perish such a thought - NEVER AGAIN!).

Edited by glossywhite

To be honest, if I intend to be taking photos, I will take my digital camera which cost half the price of an OSD but will easily give better shots than even the most advanced phone ;)

Guest glossywhite

To be honest, if I intend to be taking photos, I will take my digital camera which cost half the price of an OSD but will easily give better shots than even the most advanced phone ;)

ExactaMondo! hah! :D

Guest Rem1x

Lacks the detail of the 5MP camera on the Atrix, which lacked the detail of the 5MP of the HD2. Very little clarity at 100%, noisy, dark and blurry. The Atrix was just about fine for a daily photo taker, and the HD2 was fantastic. The OSF just lacks that clarity that the smaller sensors got. That burst+the bracketing is awesome though.

Guest Rem1x

Bracketing is when each shot uses a different focus or exposure. You can use the exposure setting to create HDR images, like so (horrid image, but taken with OSD), this was using 5 images.

Image%202012-07-01%20at%2012.16.57%20AM.png

Guest eirlysbill1

bracketing: the old school definition = 3 shots in a row, one at the auto light meter reading, and then one a 1/2 step up and one a 1/2 step down (in aperture/f-stop). And the shutter speed stayed the same. This basically was done because auto light meters are never 100% and also to allow for creativity.

Before the days of modern cameras, photographers did this manually and then they had to keep a written record of what they did.

It's so easy now if you have camera with that function on it, once you set it up, its just one push of the shutter.

PS: bracketing in modern cameras, is like a burst, because you just push the shutter once and it does it for you. But bracketing alters the exposure on each shot. Where with a burst every exposure is the same. The idea of a burst is to get the best photo out of the lot, in like a group shot, or high speed action.

Edited by eirlysbill1