#askmodaco - The Nexus 7

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest sipart

Paul i pre ordered my nexus 7. I checked my bank accout today, but google hasn't deducted the money from my account. I even have the reciept for the pre order, so could i actually be getting it for free

They won't take money until the item has shipped.

Guest tkelly0727

will we still get our 15 quid play credit if we ordered it on curry's?

and also they said we should expect it on the 19/07/12

Guest jmagee

I doubt we will get the credit but fingers crossed. I thought they where expecting on the 19th, us shortly after. With a bit of luck it will be sooner :-)

Guest rferrett

The credit comes from the device registration process I heard.

I'd imagine that they would do it across the board. The whole point of the NX7 from Google's pov is to get people using Play, and getting them used to getting paid apps.

I'd be amazed if store bought ones didn't also have the credit frankly.

Guest ezablade

Just when I thought I had found the right tablet, they go and ruin it by not supporting USB properly. All I want is to be able to copy photos from a SD card (via a usb reader) and then transfer to online storage. Cheap tablets can do it, but don't have proper Google Play implementations, don't have GPS, awful battery life etc. Looks like I'm stuck to lugging a laptop on holiday again.Would be nice to be able to slip a SD card into a reader and watch films, I have loads of spare micro-SDs knocking around that could get a film or two on each.

Guest the juggernaut

would it be possible to get an adapter of micro USB to sdhc card slot? and it will be epic i will be getting one next month

Guest ts1_aec

Sent an email to Google asking about using external storage through USB and got this reply

"Thank you for your email. While the Nexus 7 will support USB devices such as keyboards and mice, it doesn't support the attachment of mass storage devices. This is primarily a hardware limitation and isn't likely to be supported in the future. The great thing about Android however, is that if a particular device doesn't suit your needs, you have many other great options to choose from."

Guest everett_psycho

Does anyone know if it's possible to use an android phone to essentially serve media directly to the nexus? I'm sure you could if they both support direct wifi connection and use a generic upnp app to do it. Like most around here i've got a couple of old android phones kicking about the house and could easily repurpose one to use as a mobile media server off a large micro sd card or even usb device if the phone supports usb otg, worst case scenario you could use it to transfer media as you need it if nothing else works, i know it's an extra device to carry but it could ease the 16gb memory problem another way

Guest Nuclearcodes

Does it support an 360 or ps3 controller? (for games) Would a microUSB to USB adapter work with a controller?

Guest Mtman1
Sent an email to Google asking about using external storage through USB and got this reply

"Thank you for your email. While the Nexus 7 will support USB devices such as keyboards and mice, it doesn't support the attachment of mass storage devices. This is primarily a hardware limitation and isn't likely to be supported in the future. The great thing about Android however, is that if a particular device doesn't suit your needs, you have many other great options to choose from."

I think that Google are trying to be helpful, but they're literally telling you to not buy there product....

Anyway, could somebody do an antutu benchmark on the nexus 7, as I would like to see how it compares. Thanks

Edited by Mtman1

Guest Chris Banks

Gutting about lack of an SD card.

Must be to make people buy the 16GB version, as surely it doesn't cost anywhere near £40 to add 8GB of storage.

Guest fahim.yaqoob

I think that Google are trying to be helpful, but they're literally telling you to not buy there product....

Anyway, could somebody do an antutu benchmark on the nexus 7, as I would like to see how it compares. Thanks

ive told people the same thing. The nexus 7 is 1 of many android devices. If u dont like it , go buy a different one. there are a lot of tablets out there.

Guest Shuflie

It is not a hardware limitation, someone over on XDA (RMXO) has been able to mount EXT3/EXT4 formatted USB flash drives, but has had no luck with FAT32 or NTFS.Getting files to work seems to depend on copying to the card via the tablet. Does that sound as if the OTG hardware interface is unable to work with USB? If google added in an option to mount the cards, and added FAT32 support to them it should just work.

Guest ezablade

If it can work with EXT3/EXT4 and not Fat32, there is probably a good reason. Google may not want to pay Microsoft to licence Fat32.

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm now at 90% decided to get a NX7. Starting to believe it is "when" not "if" the USB OTG issue is sorted.

Now to just convince myself it is a sensible investment!

This is fixed in the new release of Chainfire's 'StickMount' apparently!

Yes, you should still get the credit.

Does it support an 360 or ps3 controller? (for games) Would a microUSB to USB adapter work with a controller?

Going to try this now. :D

P

Guest rferrett

You know I am kicking myself I didn't order one when that Currys code was valid. I should have had the courage to know the Scene would have sorted the USB OTG issue quickly. D'oh!

Guest DarkWanderer

From the "Nexus 7 Hack Pack" at This thread at XDA Devs

So looks like they've cracked FAT (doesn't mention Fat32) and read only NTFS. So getting there. :)

Other features and drivers:

- USB-Network-adapter(SMSC95XX, AX8817X)

- USB Keyboard, Joystick

- USB OTG

- USB EHCI

- SerialPort 8250 with console enabled

- SWAP

- CPUFREQ(performance, powersave, userspace, ondemand, interactive and conservative)

- Tegra: Dual3D, DualCpuClusters, PCIe, SATA

- IPv6

- scsi-support

- nearly all Special HID drivers are enabled(including Wiimote)

- Ext2/3/4, JPD/2, Fuse, Fat, NTFS(but readonly) and NFS filesystems

Guest ezablade

It works fine with the new version of StickMount, no 'hack pack' required.

P

Soooo..... root it, install StickMount, slip in a USB -> microUSB adapter (any or something special?) and then bung in a card reader???

If so,you may have just cost me £159 (too tight to pay £40 for 8gig)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.