How is Skype on this phone? Much of an upgrade from ZTE Cres/SF2?

Guest stokietom

Guest stokietom

Hi guys,

I currently have a SF2 Rooted and Flashed with CM9.

The G300 recently caught my eye because of how cheap it is however I'm after some opinions before I buy.

Is their any known/common faults with this phone?

How does Skype work? Is video calling all fine?

Will this phone be much of an upgrade from my ZTE Crescent / San Francisco 2 and would I likely notice a speed improvement?

Thanks

Guest Konstipated Kiwi

I can't comment on Skype, as I don't use it. I noticed a massive performance difference compared to my SF, but don't know how much of an improvement the SF2 was over its predecessor so I can't compare with that. Far less lag than my SF running Moldova MHMP overclocked to 729Mhz. Much snappier. Screen much easier to read and type on too.

Common problems? Several of us have a recurring blob on the screen which appears to be a hardware issue caused by something pressing from behind. It is not clear how widespread this is. Several others have reported random wipes/factory resets. A few others have reported a problem with the custom unlock screen, although this is easily disabled. I can't recall but those last two may be linked. Early units had a problem with a quiet speaker, but this has been fixed with an official update applied via a menu under 'settings'.

Out of the box, the G300 is a little disappointing, but the easy software updates make it a joy to use. It is a peerless device at this price point. A fully-functional ICS version is now available too, although the anticipated official version has not yet been released.

Guest eirlysbill1

this is a great phone for the money, and the devs and the community here really make the phone punch above its weight.

But regarding Skype: video calls are out, cause there is no front facing camera

I realise there are other uses for Skype, but being that video calls are the main one, I thought you ought to know

Guest putbinoot

Hi guys,

I currently have a SF2 Rooted and Flashed with CM9.

The G300 recently caught my eye because of how cheap it is however I'm after some opinions before I buy.

Is their any known/common faults with this phone?

How does Skype work? Is video calling all fine?

Will this phone be much of an upgrade from my ZTE Crescent / San Francisco 2 and would I likely notice a speed improvement?

Thanks

you have a pm

Guest stokietom

It has no front facing camera

Yeah but I used to have a phone that had back facing camera only and still worked with video skype. Sure it was a little awkward but it still did the job!

Guest Andymac1969

Yeah but I used to have a phone that had back facing camera only and still worked with video skype. Sure it was a little awkward but it still did the job!

There is a video call option, just checked it out, and it does work

Guest bladebuddy

I have both the sf2 and now the g300, my thoughts are is arm7 + slightly faster processer worth the upgrade. Well first of all flash is well better then with the sf2 as for game performance I am a little disappointed expected a bit more from this phone gangster Miami vindication and a few other games have played better on my blade and sf2 then this phone. Performance as in using titanium backup and cwm is about as fast as over clocked sf2, slightly bigger screen is a plus with this phone and with fully working ICS now here. Official ICS coming soon it comes down to what you do with you're phone. Skype better on sf2 and games not depending on arm7 better on sf2 (over clocked) . As for which I prefer more and which has the most potential for custom roms and community this phone wins hands down. Pluss even with a case on this phone, it doesn't feel as bulky as the sf2 with a case. Also this as far as I know hasn't been over-clocked yet.

Hope this helps.

Just thought I would add that probably the arm6 games don't and will not play as good on a arm7 phone. Don't no if I am right but read it somewhere.

Edited by bladebuddy

Guest bladebuddy

I have both the sf2 and now the g300, my thoughts are is arm7 + slightly faster processer worth the upgrade. Well first of all flash is well better then with the sf2 as for game performance I am a little disappointed expected a bit more from this phone gangster Miami vindication and a few other games have played better on my blade and sf2 then this phone. Performance as in using titanium backup and cwm is about as fast as over clocked sf2, slightly bigger screen is a plus with this phone and with fully working ICS now here. Official ICS coming soon it comes down to what you do with you're phone. Skype better on sf2 and games not depending on arm7 better on sf2 (over clocked) . As for which I prefer more and which has the most potential for custom roms and community this phone wins hands down. Pluss even with a case on this phone, it doesn't feel as bulky as the sf2 with a case. Also this as far as I know hasn't been over-clocked yet.

Hope this helps.

Just thought I would add that probably the arm6 games don't and will not play as good on a arm7 phone. Don't no if I am right but read it somewhere.

pps battery life on g300 well better then sf2.