Dear Browser, please leave my brightness alone

Guest Pjotr B

Guest Pjotr B

Hi,

The default browser on the S3 has an annoying and totally unnecessary "feature": it has it's own brightness control, totally separate from the OS. And I have yet to find a way (even after googling & browsing fora for 2 days straight) to disable that "feature".

The problems with brightness are manyfold:

- Auto brightness on the S3 sucks, both in the OS and in the browser: almost always way too dark for me.

- Because Auto brightness sucks, I tried using manual brightness. But then I keep adjusting it, both in the OS. And in the Browser. And back. And. Forth. All. Over. Again. Etc. Etc...

- Then I found LUX, a terrific Auto brightness app, with a free version (which is only slightly limited). And it works great!! Except... it only works outside the Browser... because as soon as the browser starts, it interferes with or even takes control away from LUX, and the manual brightness party starts all over again.

So here is a request.

Could someone try to disable or even eliminate brightness control in the standard browser? It should never mess with my brightness. It should let the OS / me / LUX / whatever handle it!

A new apk or an update zip would be most excellent.

Or perhaps a script that tweaks the apk, so if an OS update changes the browser -> just patch it again.

I am rooted & already using ClockworkMod Touch Recovery, so that's no problem.

And yes, I know about Chrome and Firefox, I even have both installed. But both have their annoyances and occasional rendering problems. To me, neither is ready to be my fulltime browser.

Thanks,

Peter

Guest Pjotr B

Thanks, never really tried Dolphin, now I'm trying both Mini and the full version.

I almost threw a fit when I saw the "Auto brightness" setting in Mini... Fortunately they had the sense to make it optional!

In the mean time, patched apks and magic tweak scripts are still welcome ;-)

Guest Deus_ex11

Hi,

The default browser on the S3 has an annoying and totally unnecessary "feature": it has it's own brightness control, totally separate from the OS. And I have yet to find a way (even after googling & browsing fora for 2 days straight) to disable that "feature".

The problems with brightness are manyfold:

- Auto brightness on the S3 sucks, both in the OS and in the browser: almost always way too dark for me.

- Because Auto brightness sucks, I tried using manual brightness. But then I keep adjusting it, both in the OS. And in the Browser. And back. And. Forth. All. Over. Again. Etc. Etc...

- Then I found LUX, a terrific Auto brightness app, with a free version (which is only slightly limited). And it works great!! Except... it only works outside the Browser... because as soon as the browser starts, it interferes with or even takes control away from LUX, and the manual brightness party starts all over again.

So here is a request.

Could someone try to disable or even eliminate brightness control in the standard browser? It should never mess with my brightness. It should let the OS / me / LUX / whatever handle it!

A new apk or an update zip would be most excellent.

Or perhaps a script that tweaks the apk, so if an OS update changes the browser -> just patch it again.

I am rooted & already using ClockworkMod Touch Recovery, so that's no problem.

And yes, I know about Chrome and Firefox, I even have both installed. But both have their annoyances and occasional rendering problems. To me, neither is ready to be my fulltime browser.

Thanks,

Peter

The android browser in the latest firmware XXBLFB now does not have brightness controls anymore, only colour level for power saving. The browser brightness is now what you set in the settings. Infact there is now a brighness control in the pull down toggle menu.

Guest xeroxide

i too am using Dolphin HD and Lux combo.

best browsing experience on a phone hands down.

btw tip for Dolphin plugins. i managed to get the "recommended" ones to disappear, by installing/uninstalling them.

having said that, if you haven't already, try out some of the plugins like mypdf, tab history and google similar pages are real timesavers/useful.