Google Music Beta & Samsung S3

Guest TheRealJimShady

Guest TheRealJimShady

Hi all,

This topic has kind of been discussed in the "can't move apps to sdcard" thread, but I thought that some of you may have ideas.

My situation is that I have Google Music Beta installed on my PC at home and my new S3, and I want all/most of my music to be available to me whereever I am, whether offline or not. My internal phone storage is the 16GB model, and I've put a 32GB memory card into the phone. My music collection is about 34.2GB. I thought that I'd be able to use my memory card as the offline storage for Google Music Beta, however there isn't an option within the app to allow me to choose where to store the music. Also I can't move the whole app to the memory card. So I'm a bit stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks

James

Guest MLB1949

Hiya, James. Here is the (proven) solution:

(1) From Play Store, download and install ASTRO FILE MANAGER (free and paid versions are available...I went with both).

(2) On your S3, under SETTINGS/STORAGE, choose FORMAT EXT SD CARD (when finished, you'll have about 29.71GB of available storage).

(3) Open the app you just installed, ASTRO FILE MANAGER. In the /mnt/ directory, you'll find extSdcard (that's the external storage card you just formatted, and your new move-to location).

NOTE: I followed the above steps precisely, and moved two folders -- Music and Music Videos -- to extSdcard. Then, I checked both Internal Storage and SDcard (the virtual card that resides within the internal S3 configuration), deleting from the phone (but not from extSdcard ... the 32GB external card) any duplicate MUSIC or MUSIC VIDEOS folders.

Everything above worked -- and works -- fine. I use the paid versions of POWERAMP (music) and V PLAYER (videos).

I wish you success; best wishes from Chicago, IL USA!

Guest TheRealJimShady

Hi MLB1949,

Thanks for your tips. It seems to me that you have simply moved all the music files over to the SdCard and then deleted them from the internal phone storage. This works as a one-off solution, but not as a permanent one I don't think. For example you will have to repeat this process each time you add any new files to Google Music Beta. Google Music Beta isn't actually using the sdCard as the location for syncing is it? It isn't the default storage?

Thanks

James

Guest MLB1949

ExtSdcard

Yes That is where I move the entire folders -- MUSIC and MUSIC VIDEOS -- with all the resident files. Now this works perfectly for me, since I don't use a music-update app. I've got my 844 music files and 110 music video files .... and that's that.

And this gave me exactly what I wanted: Use of my external storage card, allowing for more available space on my S3's internal storage.

NOTE: When I began this topic, with my original post, some 30+ hours ago, I had a 32GB external card installed that I couldn't use.

ASTRO FILE EXPLORER saved the day! (I believe that app to be "key" for all of us .... or at least for those SG3 owners who shared my problem.)

Guest MLB1949

BTW: You'd have to check the Google Music settings to determine your automatic save-to location. I am not familiar with that app.

Guest MLB1949

James, I was able to use the "settings" in Astro File Manager to make, as the default music download location:

/mnt/extSdcard/music

So, at least theoretically, the music files you (automatically or not) download will -- by default -- hit the external card .... not your Internal Storage.

Make sense?

Guest TheRealJimShady

James, I was able to use the "settings" in Astro File Manager to make, as the default music download location:

/mnt/extSdcard/music

So, at least theoretically, the music files you (automatically or not) download will -- by default -- hit the external card .... not your Internal Storage.

Make sense?

Hi MLB1949,

Thanks for the reply again, it's appreciated, and please don't take offence at this, but I think you are missing the point. I know how to put music on an external SD card. The issue is that I want Google Music Beta to use ther sdcard as it's default location. Either by moving the entire app, or just be choosing it's default location for storing the music it synchronises.

Guest TheRealJimShady

Try an app called "Directory Bind", I think it's available on XDA... Hope that helps..

Cheers - will check it out.