Thought so... wish me luck!

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Devices:nexus 7

Hi got my phone yesterday and rooted and installed CWM which involves putting the drivers on my p.c. Now when I connect my phone to the p.c to move filles over I get either something about mobile partner or a, CD drive (E) widget but not able to see any of the files on my sd card. Could really do with this sorting out as I need dynamite to get the back off this phone to get to the sd card.
Also I am quiet happy with the stock rom which I intend on debranding e.t.c and waiting for the official ICS update, but have the well know quiet ringtone problem. There is a option to sort this out with a upgrade in settings/about phone/online upgrade but every time I try to download it, it stops at 3.12 mb of a 14 mb download. So is there a patch for this or will I have to flash another stock rom. I think mine is 882 and have read 884 or 886 will sort it but not 888 am I right? Sorry for all the questions but this forum got so big. Thanks Jay.
P.S my p.c is a Asus Eee Box on xp if that helps.

Yeah I struggle with the back too, and worry about breaking the little clippy things. If you can't get the usb working as hogweed suggests you could grab a wifi transfer app (I use Wifi file explorer pro)
Upgrade situation is odd unless on o2 at least, I think 885 is the one that fixes the sound.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:All things outdoors , family and phone
  • Devices:zte blade + Huawei Ascend G300

You should be able to access pull down menu and select USB connected notification then turn on drive mode even if not prompted to do so automatically. Alternatively turn off USB debugging if on and try again.

Check your current ROM build in Settings=> About Phone>Build Number (last 4 characters - eg B888 for me). Don't know why an OTA upgrade is failing. Are you trying on wifi or 3g. Maybe try the other option? The Vodafone OTA update fixed my low sound issue.

Last numbers about build 882, have copied lots of files on my blade just pull down notification and select turn on USB storage that's not working and USB debuging is turned off.
Could you elaborate on what drive mode is as not very good with p.c if drive mode is there and not on the phone cheers.

Biohazard

Hogweed

Hogweed

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Devices:Huawei Ascend G300
The CD drive you are seeing is perfectly normal (nothing to do with rooting or CWMl. You should still see another two drives though but they will not be readable until you allow it on the phone. When plugging in the USB you should see "USB Connected" appear in the notification bar (if you don't go straight to the turn on prompt automatically). Pull this down and select the notification then "Turn on USB storage". If you are not getting the notification then I don't know what's wrong I'm afraid.

The reason I mentioned debugging is that when I have this turned on the phone never prompts me to turn storage on - I have to pull down the notification and select it. I don't know why this is.

Edited by Hogweed, 12 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
If I am in cwm and try to mount USB storage I see my sd card on my p.c but as soon as I reboot it vanishes very strange I used the one click method, well at least I can use this without pulling the back off so thanks anyway.

Biohazard

Hogweed

Hogweed

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Remember the drives are not visible after you have booted until you have allowed it (apart from the "CD drive" with the drivers). This is the default behaviour out of the box. It is no surprise they are not available after you boot. The surprise is you can't apparently turn them on. Nothing about the one click root/CWM method (same as manual method - just automated) should be preventing this that I am aware of. Certainly hasn't caused a problem for me. Although I have thought the drives have vanished before when I just have forgotten to allow the connection.

Edited by Hogweed, 12 July 2012 - 07:04 PM.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
As soon as I plug into my p.c I see the cf drive widget I pull down the notification bar and select to copy files/to from p.c and still see cd Widget nothing else and when pressing it says please insert a disk into drive f. When I put my phone into cwm and mount USB storage I see all three files and the contents of my sd card are visable. I have copied tons of files on my blade but I really think something is not working correctly here but as I can use it in cwm then the problem is either with my p.c or the phone didn't try to copy any files before rooting and installing cwm so haven't a clue what's going on.

Biohazard

Hogweed

Hogweed

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
When you select "Select to copy files..." does the USB connected Android Screen pop up with the "turn on USB storage" button? If not then something is very wrong. If so and clicking "Turn on USB storage" then confirming the following warning, still doesn't make the drives appear then something is also badly broken. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Edited by Hogweed, 12 July 2012 - 07:22 PM.

bladebuddy

bladebuddy

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
Yes then turns orange when you select it but still nothing happens do not understand it myself. I get the egg cup thing come up on my p.c as if its going to do something but nothing happens , I can only think the drivers are not installed properly which is strange as I have rooted e.t.c or something gone Pete tong with my p.c as I can transfer files in cwm its no big deal but thanks for trying to help.

Biohazard

HuaweiAscend

HuaweiAscend

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Well, incase anyone is remotely interested, tonight I installed ICS without any issues.

Not bad, but obviously it does have quirks, the boot screen annoyed me and the couple of Chinese apps I removed easily enough.

Deciding I'd rather be back to B888 with my backup I'd made, I followed the downgrade guide and reinstalled B888.

After re-rooting and reinstalling my IMEI backup (weirdly, seems the IMEI backup also contains the splash and boot images, as I didn't reinstall the vendor.app but they appeared after the restore of the IMEI!), I then reloaded CWM and went back to my unrooted B888 backup from before starting.

It's surprising how easy things are, actually.

Beavers

Beavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Whaaat? ICS is so much nicer than GB in my opinion. Yeah a sucky bootscreen but how often do you boot your phone haha? Chinese apps can be disabled/deleted anyway. Enjoying ICS far more personally.

HuaweiAscend

HuaweiAscend

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
It's probably because I'm not familiar with ICS, to be honest.

Beavers

Beavers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Neither was I but it's just much slicker and.. fresher.

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
Nice work. On gingerbread have you tried Tillaz rom it's rather nice

HuaweiAscend

HuaweiAscend

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
I've not seen that one mentioned, don't suppose you have a link?

Pondlife

Pondlife

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Konstipated Kiwi

Konstipated Kiwi

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I tried the AtomicMod by Tillaz and did not like it as much as the B888 I have been running. Most issues were down to personal taste (I'm not keen on the blue theme and I struggled to get used to finding some settings) but the deal-breaker was that I didn't find transitions, animations and scrolling as smooth (even using the same launcher).

There's nothing to stop you from trying it and restoring a Nandroid backup if it doesn't float your boat, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users