How to delete TouchPal ?

Guest Maximus9

Guest Maximus9

This might be interesting not just for TouchPal but also for other apps that cannot be removed as a general tutorial.

I am on B888, rooted. I tried ROMToolbox, says it uninstalled touchpal but it is still there.

I tried Root Uninstal, Astro File Manager, Super Manager, and a lot of others. Nothing works. Tried to manually delete files but also failed, “File couldn’t be deleted, try again later". The files are located in /cust/normal/europe/app. Astro File Manager reports that permissions for /cust are dr-, so writing is not allowed if my linux knowledge serves me right?

I suspect it is something very simple, but can't figure out what.

Any help would be appreciated. I have access to adb shell but do not know the commands needed, maybe some folders need to allow for write access?

Edited by Maximus9

Guest Andymac1969

I had the same problem, I ended up using Rom Manager, and I just deleted the whole 'app' folder, and after a reboot touchpal was all gone, removing them individually did not work.

Andrew

Guest Davidoff59

using rom toolbox, click on cust then delete everything in there. It won't delete if you try to delete cust file but you can delete everything inside

Guest Maximus9

I had the same problem, I ended up using Rom Manager, and I just deleted the whole 'app' folder, and after a reboot touchpal was all gone, removing them individually did not work.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, but did you mean RomToolbox? I think RomManager is used for something different.

Guest Maximus9

using rom toolbox, click on cust then delete everything in there. It won't delete if you try to delete cust file but you can delete everything inside

Thank you Davidoff59, finally done it! This was absolutely killing me.

RomToolbox did the trick, I received a message saying that TouchPal crushed so I knew it was working, but then RomToolbox killed himself like a kamikaze in the process. However, touchPal is GONE!

I deleted just the /app folder, not entire /cust, as it appears to have a lot of important folders and files in it. In the /cust/normal/europe/media folder, there are 2 zip files containing .png files with the animations for phone start (Huawei Ascend logo and animations).

One other interesting thing, tried to change folder permissions for /cust to allow wrinting for group and others (world), using TotalCommander did not work, but using RomToolbox did work. However, I deleted the app folder without any changes to permissions! Very strange for me.

Guest Davidoff59

just a guess but the cust file may have the permissions applied but they may have not be applied to the other folders within in.

My cust folder is empty and the phone is the same as when it was full of files.

Guest Maximus9

just a guess but the cust file may have the permissions applied but they may have not be applied to the other folders within in.

My cust folder is empty and the phone is the same as when it was full of files.

Interesting. What ROM version are you on? Me, B888 stock. I also have the notification bar toggle buttons, I suspect they are also in the /cust folder in the xml config files.

I should say I uninstalled TouchPal just to be able to have it updated by Play Store, which now I am able to. But the process of deleting the pre-installed version was difficult, and forced me to learn a bit more about this phone, linux and so on. Thanks again.

Edited by Maximus9