Possible backdoor in huawei mobiles?

Guest mitho

Guest mitho

Just read this article article and wondered if its just a bit paranoid or is this possible with the roms we use here for the G300.

Already a bit concerned as most of the apps I want to use like google maps require quite a lot of permissions like needing phone and contact information and record audio etc.

http://www.zdnet.com/former-pentagon-analyst-china-has-backdoors-to-80-of-telecoms-7000000908/

Guest eirlysbill1

I think the source of this concern comes from political wrangling with in the Australian gov. Basically, Huawei (which is a huge telecom) was bidding to source the equipment for a rollout of a nation wide broadband system, but some one has claimed that Huawei has security issues within the company, so one political party wanted them dropped from the bid. I couldn't understand the whole article, and I may have this slightly wrong, but the more I read what was written the more it seemed like is was all about two political parties having a go at each other with Huawei in the middle.

Whether, it is a real concern or not, I can't tell. But, one thing you can do to help protect your phone is to get the LBE Security app. With it you can set individual permissions. It not a "cure all" but it helps.

Edited by eirlysbill1

Guest FrownBreaker

I think the source of this concern comes from political wrangling with in the Australian gov. Basically, Huawei (which is a huge telecom) was bidding to source the equipment for a rollout of a nation wide broadband system, but some one has claimed that Huawei has security issues within the company, so one political party wanted them dropped from the bid. I couldn't understand the whole article, and I may have this slightly wrong, but the more I read what was written the more it seemed like is was all about two political parties having a go at each other with Huawei in the middle.

Whether, it is a real concern or not, I can't tell. But, one thing you can do to help protect your phone is to get the LBE Security app. With it you can set individual permissions. It not a "cure all" but it helps.

You are right Hauwei was about to be awarded a large government contract and it was stopped due to national security concerns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17509201

The security concerns about privacy as as much to do with the cell phone infrastructure. This is all wire tap friendly in Europe and the USA. The the US there is a low cost PEN request system used by law enforcement which for form $9 to $30 provides access to phone related content (logs, location etc). The Pen register approach is gaining popularity (no court oversight needed) and the telecoms companies make money as the systems are self service web based. They advertise their services at relevant trade shows. Note the stat do not include Pen Reg or non US Nationals.

"No report is needed when an order is issued with the consent of one of the principal parties to the communication, or when a pen register (a device attached to a telephone line to identify the numbers dialed on that line) is used. The Wiretap Report does not reflect interceptions regulated by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978."

http://news.uscourts.gov/2011-wiretap-report-shows-decrease-requests-authorized-intercepts